Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Good old steam radiators! Nothing like them!!! And I love the hissing and creaking pipes too. The sounds of cozy!!!!

On the oil issue, it's almost impossible to find home owner's insurance for an inground tank anymore, isn't it? That would be more the issue for me.
You are absolutely correct! Some will still give you a policy but they want to see that you tested the tank and that you have tank protection on the tank as well. Homeowner's ins. companies have been hit hard over the past few years with environmental claims. We did a cleanup on one in Rockaway recently that went over 600K!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:15 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Good old steam radiators! Nothing like them!!! And I love the hissing and creaking pipes too. The sounds of cozy!!!!

On the oil issue, it's almost impossible to find home owner's insurance for an inground tank anymore, isn't it? That would be more the issue for me.
I would think all or most companies will no longer insure an underground tank. and if removed and a remediation occured, they would want papers from the DEP.
When mine was removed and remediated, the next step I followed was having the DEP over to give it the final ok. As soon as that occured, I put the house on the market.
The house I bought here is gas heat. Where I live is all rock,but they have no problem cutting it up and running lines. Every building project here takes a long time, because they have to cut the rock to put in foundations.
Now, an Oil TANK, in the ground with High Groundwater, means a Call to Wiley, who does REMEDIATIONS. I wish I knew her when mine leaked.

Diane G

Old 08-26-2008, 04:13 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
good old steam radiators are not efficient either, your boiling the water before you get any heat!! I lived in one an old wreck with no isulation the utilities were insane with steam radiators! If its so great why dont they use it anymore, I have not seen it installed in a house in fifty years! Unless you know something I dont I was going broke with steam radiators!!! Produces alot of heat but highly unefficient!

Old 08-26-2008, 05:51 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
good old steam radiators are not efficient either, your boiling the water before you get any heat!! I lived in one an old wreck with no isulation the utilities were insane with steam radiators! If its so great why dont they use it anymore, I have not seen it installed in a house in fifty years! Unless you know something I dont I was going broke with steam radiators!!! Produces alot of heat but highly unefficient!
Well, I could make the same claim with forced hot air that you heat the air in a furnace and have to push it through ducts before it reaches the rooms which would cool the air. I envision that hot water in a copper pipe is going to lose heat more slowly than heated air in a metal duct.

My guess is they don't use it anymore because of the cost to put those systems in. With a forced hot air unit, it is a furnace, ducting and some vents. A hot water system is more costly in that it involves a boiler, copper piping and radiators to distribute the heat.

Some of the benefits of hot water heat is that they do not dry out the air like forced air systems and even after the heat is off the radiator stays warm.

I remember reading once (of course I cant find the article) that hot water baseboard is the 2nd best way to heat a house, with radiant heating being the best.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:10 AM

[quote=tallguylehigh;4999053]Well, I could make the same claim with forced hot air that you heat the air in a furnace and have to push it through ducts before it reaches the rooms which would cool the air. I envision that hot water in a copper pipe is going to lose heat more slowly than heated air in a metal duct.

My guess is they don't use it anymore because of the cost to put those systems in. With a forced hot air unit, it is a furnace, ducting and some vents. A hot water system is more costly in that it involves a boiler, copper piping and radiators to distribute the heat.

Some of the benefits of hot water heat is that they do not dry out the air like forced air systems and even after the heat is off the radiator stays warm.

I remember reading once (of course I cant find the article) that hot water baseboard is the 2nd best way to heat a house, with radiant heating being the best.[/quote]

You are absolutely correct! Thing is, it's very expensive to install baseboard heat hence the reason builders are going with forced air these days. Solution for the dryness with forced air is to add an automatic humidifier into the duct work. Downside to that is..it tends to corrode the duct work or if you have "hard water", the system doesn't last long..

Old 08-26-2008, 06:45 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
all I know is it cost me alot more than I am paying in oil right now!! Funny like I once said the Toyotomi moniter system which everyone useds in North Country, my house in the adirondacks is the best most efficient system!! Everyone in North County, Saranac Lake to Plattsburgh used a monitor. Look up toyotomi, burns only 2 ths a gallon of per hour, keronese, clean no, efficient holy crap the most!! I was sweating in -10 degrees below zero and very warm and efficient! Too bad noone uses it here. And let me tell you it was damn cold up there!!! Could not take the winters in Plattsburgh!! But great heating system!!! You cant get it all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look up toyotomi usa, thats the system they all use in North Country!!! My cabin has the oil miser!!! efficient!!!!!!! This is the best and cheapest heating system, everyone in the adk's uses this, like I said its not clean but really works!! They know they are all poor and could not afford to heat their homes without this!! Trust me , I lived there one winter, it sucked!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I would think all or most companies will no longer insure an underground tank. and if removed and a remediation occured, they would want papers from the DEP.
When mine was removed and remediated, the next step I followed was having the DEP over to give it the final ok. As soon as that occured, I put the house on the market.
The house I bought here is gas heat. Where I live is all rock,but they have no problem cutting it up and running lines. Every building project here takes a long time, because they have to cut the rock to put in foundations.
Now, an Oil TANK, in the ground with High Groundwater, means a Call to Wiley, who does REMEDIATIONS. I wish I knew her when mine leaked.

Diane G
Thanks D... tried to rep. you but you know the routine... need to spread the love around first

Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,048 times
Quote:
Quote:
all I know is it cost me alot more than I am paying in oil right now!!
I think you answered your question of why your utilities were so high in your old house with radiator heat. No heating system in the world can compensate for lack of proper insulation. The toyotomi system you use may be good, but your new home may also be better insulated.

Apples to oranges.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
I think you answered your question of why your utilities were so high in your old house with radiator heat. No heating system in the world can compensate for lack of proper insulation. The toyotomi system you use may be good, but your new home may also be better insulated.

Apples to oranges.
No..it's all bananas with morse . Hang around a bit and you'll soon figure out what I mean

Old 08-26-2008, 07:11 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
No..it's all bananas with morse . Hang around a bit and you'll soon figure out what I mean
More like a juggling act
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey