Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 07:34 AM

329 posts, read 1,442,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyo View Post
We left NJ 9 years ago for Charlotte, NC. Now, it's a little harder than I thought to go home (despite what Bon Jovi's song says!). There are pros and cons to both places, but it's depressing to see how much housing costs in Bergen County -- we'll end up paying about 3- 4 times what we pay here for a house that's way less than what we live in now (and we're in a neighborhood with expensive homes to begin with in NC -- over 1 million, which apparently is an average price in NJ). To me, the advantages in NJ are education, job opportunities and family, but the lifestyle and weather here were something we ended up enjoying.
Yes, housing is expensive in NJ , over the top by national standards. But, $1,000,000 for an "average" home is a stretch..lol Even Bergen County with all it's "majesty" a gorgeous home can be had for far less than that. Comparable to what you have now it may be unattainable, yes. I guess it comes down to what really matters to you, where your heart is. This MB really helped me to see that I love NJ, warts and all.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:58 AM

71 posts, read 240,249 times
I am a loan officer and do a loan of loans for people relocating from the NorthEast (NY, CT, NJ) to NC, SC, FL, etc. Except for the occasional reitree who wants to be in warm weather and beach areas, most are doing so purely because of money concerns. The northeast is expensive for a reason - it is a desirable to live there. Where else can you live in a nice suburb with great schools but still be close to the history and culture of DC, Philly, Baltimore, the east coast beaches, NYC, etc?

Location, location.

If money were no object... the Northeast would win in my opinion.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJtoCT View Post
I am a loan officer and do a loan of loans for people relocating from the NorthEast (NY, CT, NJ) to NC, SC, FL, etc. Except for the occasional reitree who wants to be in warm weather and beach areas, most are doing so purely because of money concerns. The northeast is expensive for a reason - it is a desirable to live there. Where else can you live in a nice suburb with great schools but still be close to the history and culture of DC, Philly, Baltimore, the east coast beaches, NYC, etc?

Location, location.

Not me, California would trounce the Northeast. It has much more to offer than any other state. For the same reasons, many look to relocate out of California, namely, location. History and culture is overrated, at the end of the day, people still have to go about their day to day lives, which is to say, commute, work, and spend time with family.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:08 AM

71 posts, read 240,249 times
True... I was comparing NE to the Southern states. Many move from NJ/PA/CT/NY to NC/SC/FL. I am not familiar and can't comment on midwest or west

Old 08-09-2007, 02:27 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJtoCT View Post

Location, location.

Sorry, But plenty of culture here in Nashville, Tn. We have the Frist Center for art,the Symphony orchestra @ the Nashville Symphony - Schermerhorn Symphony Center
We have every type of music you can imagine and many Record Producer call Nashville their home, including Sony.
The close Suburbs have high rated schools, Brentwood and Franklin.. Sure we don't have ocean beaches but we have lakes and rivers and many of my neighbors own boats. That wasn't true in NJ ,because after paying taxes who could afford a boat.
History? We have plenty of that and the Hermitage, the home of Andrew Jackson. We have downtown museums which takes 15 min to get to.
NJ really does have all that, NY does.
We are in close proximity to other major cities such as Atlanta.
We have a diverse population, and in regards to what other than people think we are not the cowboy town of years gone by. The only people who wear cowboy boots and hats are the tourists. It's funny to see them downtown walking Broadway to the ****** Tonks.(Bars with Live Music)
We also do not have much snow and the cold doesn't stay around to long.
As a NJ transplant, I would never go back to NJ, I'm enjoying my life here.
BYW, Real Estate is still selling here unlike NJ who is in a slump. We have the relocation market, and big companies like Nissan have made Nashville their home.

Last edited by Diane Giam; 08-09-2007 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-09-2007, 02:49 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Not me, California would trounce the Northeast. It has much more to offer than any other state. For the same reasons, many look to relocate out of California, namely, location. History and culture is overrated, at the end of the day, people still have to go about their day to day lives, which is to say, commute, work, and spend time with family.
California had better offer more than any other state, it's only what...75% of the Western seaboard lol?

Old 08-09-2007, 02:58 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
.. Sure we don't have ocean beaches but we have lakes and rivers and many of my neighbors own boats. That wasn't true in NJ ,because after paying taxes who could afford a boat.
History? We have plenty of that and the Hermitage, the home of Andrew Jackson. We have downtown museums which takes 15 min to get to.
NJ really does have all that, NY does.
We are in close proximity to other major cities such as Atlanta.
You may be unable to afford a boat but do you know how many boats line the shores of beaches with marinas such as Pt Pleasant? Or even AC?
-side note: Nashville is relatively close to Atlanta, but NJ is a lot closer to major Northeast cities

Old 08-09-2007, 03:31 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
California had better offer more than any other state, it's only what...75% of the Western seaboard lol?
True be that!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:28 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
You may be unable to afford a boat but do you know how many boats line the shores of beaches with marinas such as Pt Pleasant? Or even AC?
-side note: Nashville is relatively close to Atlanta, but NJ is a lot closer to major Northeast cities
None of those people live in Manalapan and some of those boats are owned by out of state'ers. I don't want a boat. It's a lot of work because I grew up on the water(5 towns LI-Lawrence) and we always had one.
But does NJ itself have Museums? not really

Old 08-09-2007, 07:55 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,191,283 times
I don't get it. Everyone in NJ has their reason for staying or leaving...it's all a matter of personal choice. But why do those who leave find it necessary to continually slam it? After all, they lived in NJ at one point too...why did they stay for any length of time if it was SOOOO bad?

I do not currently live in NJ, but GASP!, am considering moving there. No place is perfect. Everyone, everywhere, is going to have something to gripe about. And if anyone says that's not true, then they're lying! But once you've left, just enjoy the "greener pastures" if that's indeed what you've found. No reason to keep coming back and complaining about the old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey