Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,063 times

Advertisements

Howdy,
Does anyone know of any Vietnamese language classes in NJ, preferrably in Northern NJ?
joggerbil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
I live on the edge of a Vietnamese neighborhood. For some reason they don't like NY/NJ that much. They're all in South Philly, at this point they probably outnumber the Italians.

There are also a bunch of them across the river in Cherry Hill (and down in Prospect Park, PA) but I don't think you'll have much luck with language classes. They assimilate pretty quickly. You'd probably have better luck trying to find some old lady who used to teach in Vietnam to tutor you privately.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joggerbil View Post
Howdy,
Does anyone know of any Vietnamese language classes in NJ, preferrably in Northern NJ?
joggerbil
Call Vietnam's UN Mission in NYC. I bet they know.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:53 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I live on the edge of a Vietnamese neighborhood. For some reason they don't like NY/NJ that much. They're all in South Philly, at this point they probably outnumber the Italians.

There are also a bunch of them across the river in Cherry Hill (and down in Prospect Park, PA) but I don't think you'll have much luck with language classes. They assimilate pretty quickly. You'd probably have better luck trying to find some old lady who used to teach in Vietnam to tutor you privately.
this is all true. for whatever reason there are very few vietnamese in northern nj and the ny metro area in general. even in southern brooklyn or manhattan's chinatown, where there used to be decent numbers, the population is pretty small. so finding any sort of vietnamese language classes in the region will be difficult.

south jersey (cherry hill or atlantic city area) is a better bet than north jersey. there is a slight chance you might be able to find something in a central nj town such as edison, so you might want to look there. but as solibs already said, south philly has the largest concentration of vietnamese between ny/nj/philly.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:48 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
Vietnamese-Americans are themselves a multi-ethnic bunch and while most of them speak Viet for many of them it's not their first language.

A lot of them are ethnically Chinese. Still others are Hmong or Khmer. Which confuses the hell out of me because I live in on a mostly Cambodian (ethnic Khmer) block in a mostly Indonesian (ethnic Chinese) neighborhood that is also home to a lot of Vietnamese (ethnic Chinese).

So when i say "I can't tell the difference, they all look the same to me." It's because they actually do.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,742 times
Default vietnamese

hi, do you still looking for Vietnamese class in northen NJ?
i am Vietnamese, live in Parsipany. just move in US 4month. if you need help about VietNamese pls send me mail kankung08@yahoo.com .

Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
Try the Zone Languages Centers (yahoo it)

or just order Rosetta Stone (yahoo it too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey