Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I miss the NJ wit and sense of humor. People are way different up here in NH than in NJ. A much different sense of humor. I witnessed it once again while I was home in NJ recently. My husband witnesses it too. People in NJ get a bad rap for not being friendly. I find that to be opposite. When I go home-people in NJ always hold the door when we are out and are much more friendlier. Here in NH most will let the door slam in your face. When I hold open the door they look shocked. We easily strike up conversations at baseball and hockey games in NJ/Philly, at stores etc-whereever we go. I wish I could say the same for NH.

Where I live now in NH is more friendly than the last place in NH I lived but it is still not like NJ.
Being a NJ lifer... my B&C says I'll talk to anyone..lol. We can never get out of any place quickly because I'm always chatting or starting a conversation with complete strangers . What can I say... I love to gab!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:03 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
I was raised in north and central NJ and I moved out in 1992,I've been back a couple times since then but I really started to notice the differences in people from NJ and the other states I've lived.
I don't know if it's just that living in Philadelphia sucks worse than living in NJ but I've really actually started to appreciate certain things about NJ people such as my friends etc.

What I still appreciate is that people from NJ will be to the point and direct with you,yet won't be as attacking as say people from Philly.

One of the downsides I still see though from NJ people is that you take yourselves too seriously. Lighten up. That's what I was told once I got out of NJ but notice that I still hold onto some of my 'NJ standards',which I most likely won't be letting go of anytime soon.
Philly is different than SJ or NJ for that matter. We always used to refer to Philly folk as 'PA people'. It's a different mentality, the culture is different.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:57 AM

468 posts, read 580,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishP7 View Post
I guess it all depends on what part of FL you are talking about..i lived in Orlando..very transient town..lots of tourists and retired folks. It just wasnt for me...very cliquish town.
It's more cliquish here in PA! Although I lived in Ft.Laud as well as Orlando,I agree it's very transient but that's what was good about it! As far as people being cliquish,that was probably just the Disney employees

Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I see that same type of criticism levied against New Jerseyans and it's just silly. It's gotten to the point where I don't believe people who make those claims. It seems to be just another way to pump up (talk themselves into liking?) the state their currently living in.
Maybe not,it's easier for outsiders to notice things and maybe that's the vibe they get from New Jerseyans. And sometimes the grass can seem greener when people compare it to what they're used to.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Being a NJ lifer... my B&C says I'll talk to anyone..lol. We can never get out of any place quickly because I'm always chatting or starting a conversation with complete strangers . What can I say... I love to gab!
I think that's more of a woman thing than a NJ thing

Old 08-28-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Philly is different than SJ or NJ for that matter. We always used to refer to Philly folk as 'PA people'. It's a different mentality, the culture is different.
I've been around south Jersey and many would say it does have a Philly influence so I don't think it's that much different,although there are certain things that just differ between NJ and PA altogether.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:54 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
I haven't been here long yet, but I can't believe how nice you all are. I'm in Monmouth and I didn't think I was moving far enough away from Brooklyn to notice a difference. But people exchange pleasantries and cashiers make eye contact. It's strange and wonderful!
Negatives? When I'm on 80 going to PA there is always a NJ plate doing 55 in the left lane. And wiley I'm going to fit right in here. My husband says I'm a "really bad leaver".

Old 08-28-2008, 11:07 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Hi all - I grew up in NJ (Morris Co.) and have lived in the DC area (10 years) before moving to Charlotte.

One thing I'll say about NJ, and this isn't a like or a dislike per se, just an observation: the accent is distinctive (and I don't mean saying "Joisey" - who says that anyway?). I can recognize it in a heartbeat, and can make a fairly good guess on which part of the state you're from.

Since moving to NC, I once had to "translate" for a native when a guy from Jersey was trying to order in a restaurant. Good times.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 AM

115 posts, read 310,111 times
People ask me why I divorced my ex- simple answer: He is from NJ.
NJ sucks. The accent is so horrific and a complete turnoff. The women have big, ratty hairdos and wear clothes from 1989.
Also note to every person in NJ-
Buy a jewelery box! You do not have to wear every ring and necklace you own at all times.
Everything looks like the Archie Bunker set.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:03 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
People ask me why I divorced my ex- simple answer: He is from NJ.
NJ sucks. The accent is so horrific and a complete turnoff. The women have big, ratty hairdos and wear clothes from 1989.
Also note to every person in NJ-
Buy a jewelery box! You do not have to wear every ring and necklace you own at all times.
Everything looks like the Archie Bunker set.
I was in LA for a few days back in March. Every hipster and his mom was sporting a faux-hawk and oversized sunglasses. That went out of style here 3 years ago. California (not just LA) isn't hip. People there are about as cutting edge and original as they are in Charleston, SC.

The two regional accents I can stand the least are the upper-midwest/great lakes accent where they think "Harry" and "hairy" sound the same and where "marry", "merry" and "Mary" are all homonyms. The other one is the general California accent (except people from San Francisco). There are more than three vowel sounds people. Use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey