Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:49 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Funny you say that Pixie.
My b-i-l has 3 kids and is a germophobe. Bad. His kids were always SO sickly where as mine were not. Our pediatrician (we use the same) told me one day - if he would actually EXPOSE the kids to germs they would not be so sick all the time.
EXACTLY. Don't you remember as a kid, playing on the playground, playing in the dirt, swimming in a mucky bay, whatever! What would your mom do? Take you inside when you were done, throw you in the shower and put you to bed. She didn't chase you all over the place with towlettes and hand sanitizer!!! Now, granted, there are some gross people out there and I personally skeeve public bathrooms like you've never seen, however, my kids still get dirty at the park, roll in the grass, whatever. Um, I think the word is moderation...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Dude, back off with your hostility...it's not all about me or any anti-community theory you think I have...get a grip for god's sake and calm down. Homeschool? What are you even talking about? And just for the record, you can't protect yourself or your family from EVERYTHING...that's living in a bubble and bubbles don't exist. Do some more research and read why so many kids have allergies nowadays, especially to peanuts. They put out a huge article on how it's the parents causing it because we're sooo conscious of germs, infections, diseases and whatnot, that we are fanatical about keeping our children clean to the point that their bodies don't recognize even common things anymore and react to it as an "allergy". So before you judge me on something I said, check yourself bubbleboy/girl.
Would you tell us who the "They" are who published proof that parents cause peanut allergies? My child has a peanut allergy and I can assure you that we are not helicopter parents. Are kids get dirty, eat junk and play with other kids.
The first time our daughter had a PBJ, we were on our way to the hospital.
Your post is glib and irresponsible, to say the least.
Please don't waste your breath telling me to check for myself. You insinuate that you have already done the research, so please enlighten us with your new found wisdom.
FWIW, I have done research, as have the researchers at Duke University. Maybe you should do some research and see what they are doing regarding treatment for peanut allergies. BTW, the success rate is not very high.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:28 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
Parents should have the final say on medical decisions made for their children. Period.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 PM

239 posts, read 1,140,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Parents should have the final say on medical decisions made for their children. Period.
I couldn't agree more! Every choice has its risks--vaccinating, not vaccinating, delaying, selecting some vaccines and refusing others. Parents need to make an educated decision based on what's best for their children and their family. At the end of the day we all must do what allows us to lead our lives without excessive fear and lets us sleep at night as peacefully as possible.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
http://njvaccinationchoice.org/
This Mom is going to Trenton this week ( if I am not mistaken) She lost her baby girl after she got four shots at once...........that day she was rushed to the hospital, blue. That little girl died. ( this is a friend of my daughters )
This little girl was healthy and fine, she screamed with those four shots.
Because of this, our family members have their childrens shots spaced out, never four at once.
I signed the petition........maybe some here would like to sign too.
Its our beloved childrens lives we are speaking of........its a matter of not taking a chance.
The government did pay this family a " very small" amount........so to me that is admitting their fault in this. Of course money doesn't matter in the least........
the loss of the beautiful child mattered.
Four is too many at once. The doctor in NJ is still doing four!...........
My daughters have chosen to say no.....A safer thing to do I think.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:49 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Do you know what they call the person who graduated at the bottom of his third world medical school? DOCTOR.

Doctors will dispense what the drug companies tell them to use. Stark Laws were passed to try to eliminate this pay to play practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
http://njvaccinationchoice.org/
This Mom is going to Trenton this week ( if I am not mistaken) She lost her baby girl after she got four shots at once...........that day she was rushed to the hospital, blue. That little girl died. ( this is a friend of my daughters )
This little girl was healthy and fine, she screamed with those four shots.
Because of this, our family members have their childrens shots spaced out, never four at once.
I signed the petition........maybe some here would like to sign too.
Its our beloved childrens lives we are speaking of........its a matter of not taking a chance.
The government did pay this family a " very small" amount........so to me that is admitting their fault in this. Of course money doesn't matter in the least........
the loss of the beautiful child mattered.
Four is too many at once. The doctor in NJ is still doing four!...........
My daughters have chosen to say no.....A safer thing to do I think.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:24 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Like I said, it's a tough topic. On the other hand, if your kids are in daycare/school and it is an older, tested vaccine, it's probably better that they have it. Like my pediatrician (a respected Dr) said, "We don't see a lot of these diseases, and if you did, you'd understand why they vaccinate against them." She graduated from Columbia-Presbyterian, but she did a lot of volunteer work in many 3rd world nations... so she has seen a lot of those ailments first hand.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
I am very sorry to hear of the sad cases cited here however, at the end of the day...

Herd immunity (or community immunity) describes a type of immunity that occurs when the vaccination of a portion of the population (or herd) provides protection to unvaccinated individuals.[1] Herd immunity theory proposes that, in diseases passed from person-to-person, it is more difficult to maintain a chain of infection when large numbers of a population are immune. The more immune individuals present in a population, the lower the likelihood that a susceptible person will come into contact with an infected individual.[

Just my 2c

Shanny

Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Dude, back off with your hostility...it's not all about me or any anti-community theory you think I have...get a grip for god's sake and calm down. Homeschool? What are you even talking about? And just for the record, you can't protect yourself or your family from EVERYTHING...that's living in a bubble and bubbles don't exist. Do some more research and read why so many kids have allergies nowadays, especially to peanuts. They put out a huge article on how it's the parents causing it because we're sooo conscious of germs, infections, diseases and whatnot, that we are fanatical about keeping our children clean to the point that their bodies don't recognize even common things anymore and react to it as an "allergy". So before you judge me on something I said, check yourself bubbleboy/girl.
I'm sorry, I am calm. I've been waaaay over the vax issue for a long time. Some parents will and others won't. I find the granola's and the uninformed/scared who don't research both sides of the coin tend to be the non-vaxer's. If you do not understand what I am speaking about...you obviously stopped your research when you found justification for how you feel or were scared into vaccinations = evil. That is a HUGE problem.

How does a food allergy (peanuts) have anything to do with germs? Food allergies tend to be genetic...and always have. Please cite that huge article, b/c I'm always open to learning new things. Bubble boy/girl? Hmmm. Ok. Can I call you Ignorant chick/dude? I think it fits b/c I don't judge when it comes to facts. Facts are what the are.

I have enough experience to know that you can only protect your kids from so much. Vaccinations, however, are a different story. If you would like to sit through the mumps, measels, rubella, small pox, diptheria, tuberculosis, etc...and watch your child suffer...that is your decision. However...while you feel free to not vax your kid you still need to respect my issue with you bringing your non-vaxed kid around mine who may be under-vaxed...or around my FIL going through chemo and who is immuno-compromised.

Whatever floats your boat...go back 60 years +. The M&M rate was HUGE for the diseases that are now eradicated by vaccinations. Be thankful for vaccines. You're family tree may have had a few branches cut off a long time ago if not for vaccines. The ONLY reasons these diseases are making a comeback, as slight as they may, is due to parents who don't vax their kids.

Don't vaccinate your child/ren. That's fine. But be glad that those of us who do...well, your kid/s benefits. Your pregnant self or wife BENEFITS. And don't get upset when I don't want your un-vaxed kid in my kids class. And if you DON'T know why I am saying that...do some more research.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Still waiting for the peanut allergy caused by a vaccination instead of a food allergy(genetic at best) explanation?

Are allergies to dogs/cats/elephants related to vaccinations too?

The uninformed scare the crap out of me...from childcare to voting for potus.

It's almost pathetic when you see how many people make such important deicisions on half-truths and emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: