Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 PM

677 posts, read 2,229,681 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling from Charlotte, NC to Atlantic City to NYC, back home to Charlotte.

So far I've determined the best way to go would be to fly into Philly and take the train to Atlantic City. Take the train back to Philly, and take Amtrak to NYC and fly back home from there.

Does that sound like the most effective way with the least hassle? I really don't want to rent a car or have to hassle with flights everywhere. I've never been to either city so I want to turn to everyone here on CD that might have some better options for me.

I'd also appreciate any tips you have for taking the rails that I probably have not thought of.

The dates of the trip are from Sept 23rd (Depart Charlotte), in Atlantic City from the 23rd to the 26th, and NYC the 26th to the 28th. I know the train schedules differ on the weekend and weekdays. Other than that I know nothing of traveling by train between cities.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 03:20 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,565,234 times
why not fly into AC?

Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 8,664 times
Why not fly into AC and then jump on a bus to Manhattan. There are so many everyday. The trip is probably about 2 hrs and you arrive at Port Authority terminal right in mid town

Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,964,899 times
You're probably flying to Philly because there are a lot of direct flights from Charlotte.

I would say - fly to Philly, take the R1 from the airport to 30th St. It takes 20 minutes and costs $6. Visit for a while - you can check bags at 30th St. if you're not spending the night at a hotel.

The train to Atlantic City take 1:40 and costs $7. The train station in AC is in the convention center so maybe you're lucky and you're staying at the hotel across the street. There's a taxi stand outside and it's a short ride to anywhere in town.

Take the bus from AC to NYC. Going back to 30th St. is a waste of time and money. The bus will take you just over 2 hours. I don't know what the price is but it's probably something like $18

Take Amtrak back to Philly. Amtrak will take you, at most 1:15 For a cheaper way to go you can do NJTransit to Trenton then change there for the SEPTA R7 train to 30th St. That will probably take you 2:20 but it will be 1/3 the cost. You can also check out Bolt Bus that runs from Penn Station to 30th St. it's the cheapest way to go and takes 2 hours.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:03 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,616,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISA at the beach View Post
Why not fly into AC and then jump on a bus to Manhattan. There are so many everyday. The trip is probably about 2 hrs and you arrive at Port Authority terminal right in mid town
AC is served by one airline - Spirit, which doesn't fly to Charlotte. OP would need to fly to an airport serviced by Spirit and then hopefully get a direct flight to AC. I'm sure that's a huge PITA and expensive.

solibs advice is great.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:53 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,502,287 times
Rent a car at the Philly airport, drive to AC, drive to Hamilton Train Station in NJ off 295 north, go to NYC, take train back, drive back to Philly airport, return car, go home. The AC expressway runs right into 295.

Easiest and best use of your time instead of messing with buses and trains - driving to AC from Philly is very easy and much faster than taking a train.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,234 times
I am going to school in charlotte and wanna know what is the best way to get to atlantic city when i want to go visit ?!

Old 02-11-2012, 07:11 AM

50,354 posts, read 35,989,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantebabi View Post
I am going to school in charlotte and wanna know what is the best way to get to atlantic city when i want to go visit ?!
I'd say the same way as the OP did back then. Spirit doesn't fly into AC from
Charlotte so you'll have to fly into Philly. From there you can rent a car but I think the train would be easier and much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey