Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 8,997 times

Advertisements

Hi, we have been searching for our first home to buy in NJ. We looked in Chatham, but were turned off by the high prices for such old homes and lack of diversity. We would ideally like somewhere diverse with decent schools in the $500,000 range for a 3 bedroom home. The only problem is that my husband has to drive to lower Manhattan and cannot take public transportation. Does anyone know of any good areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,911,603 times
I'm impressed that you felt that way about Chatham. I do too, lovely town but way too white bread for me. Diversity is you don't drive a BMW. LOL

You say "decent" schools, not the best schools. Based on that and that you want diversity, and a quick drivable commute to NYC... I'd say Rutherford NJ. Not too far from the Lincoln Tunnel, schools are pretty good and the town does have some diversity.

I'd say Ft. Lee, but most of your diversity there is Asian, and it's an easieer drive to uptown NY than downtown NY.

I'm sure some will say downtown JC, Weehawken or Hoboken based on your location and desire for a quick commute to NYC... but if you live there you are going to have to do private schools, and you are looking at an urban rather than suburban environment.

Nutley may not be a bad choice, or Montclair or Bloomfield. West Orange? What do the rest of you think?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,542,163 times
South Orange over West Orange for me... Montclair is another good one. Areas off of Rt. 22 like Scotch Plains, Maplewood, Fanwood is cute...

Old 09-03-2008, 06:45 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,503,566 times
Maplewood is know for its diversity. You can find something in your range but taxes would be high.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,575,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I'm impressed that you felt that way about Chatham. I do too, lovely town but way too white bread for me. Diversity is you don't drive a BMW. LOL

You say "decent" schools, not the best schools. Based on that and that you want diversity, and a quick drivable commute to NYC... I'd say Rutherford NJ. Not too far from the Lincoln Tunnel, schools are pretty good and the town does have some diversity.

I'd say Ft. Lee, but most of your diversity there is Asian, and it's an easieer drive to uptown NY than downtown NY.

I'm sure some will say downtown JC, Weehawken or Hoboken based on your location and desire for a quick commute to NYC... but if you live there you are going to have to do private schools, and you are looking at an urban rather than suburban environment.

Nutley may not be a bad choice, or Montclair or Bloomfield. West Orange? What do the rest of you think?
Nutley diverse?? Surely you jest! LOL It's about as diverse as Chatham!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,772,577 times
Bloomfield is diverse and has many houses in your range.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,640 times
Try Colonia, part of Woodbridge Twp. in Middlesex County. Good schools, ethnically diverse, suburban, but just a 45 minute commute to lower Manhattan

Old 09-03-2008, 02:51 PM

792 posts, read 3,125,275 times
Where is it that you are moving from? NYC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydoc View Post
Hi, we have been searching for our first home to buy in NJ. We looked in Chatham, but were turned off by the high prices for such old homes and lack of diversity.
Lack of diversity? What is it that you are seeking or avoiding? Specifics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I'm impressed that you felt that way about Chatham. I do too, lovely town but way too white bread for me.
What is wrong w/white bread or non-diverseness? Comments?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,997 times
Thanks for all of your reponses. We are currently renting in Belleville.
We are seeking an area that is comprised of a mixture of all ethnicities and where people are open minded. We did look in Jersey City but it was too congested and we weren't sure if we would want to send our kids to private school.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:25 PM

792 posts, read 3,125,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydoc View Post
We are seeking an area that is comprised of a mixture of all ethnicities and where people are open minded. We did look in Jersey City but it was too congested and we weren't sure if we would want to send our kids to private school.

The general trend is that the quality of schools (in many cases) increases as diversity decreases (and vice versa). There really is no Utopia or even an area comprised of a mixture of all ethnicities. People in NJ as a whole aren't really that 'open minded' despite the democratic strong hold in elections at all levels. People on west coast (e.g. CA) are much more open minded. So for possible communities would you possibly consider Kearny, Lodi, Bergenfield or Hackensack? These are "diverse" to some extent but certainly not open minded IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey