Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM

14 posts, read 31,955 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I posted several weeks ago looking for input on areas within commuting distance of Jersey City, and think I have narrowed down a location that *appears* to have everything I am looking for: rural/semi-rural area with a driveable commute to JC of under 1 hour (no more than 30 miles), and housing available for 400K or less. After much consideration and driving from all towns between Cranford to Warren and all the way to Denville, it seems the towns within Long Hill (Gillette/Stirling/Millington .. and maybe Lyons or Meyersville? I get confused with the differing sections) appear to be perfect. The area seems to be very open, yet more affordable than Watchung or Mountainside. It also seems easy enough to get to route 78 East for a commute to Jersey City. Does anyone currently live in Long Hill who can offer some insight into the different towns, and whether there are any major distinctions between them? Is there a community feel? Does anyone living in that area drive to JC who can offer feedback on this commute? And lastly - not to mention, most importantly! - what is the liklihood of finding a nice 3BR home on .5 acre for near the 400K mark? I see several homes online via mls in my price range, however, is there something inherently wrong with the particular location or property of these homes to warrant a lower price, in an area that boasts many higher-priced homes? Thank you all very much in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,212 times
Long Hill towns in New Jersey, including Millington, Stirling and Gillette, are very convenient. To get to south-end of downtown New York, you can drive 78 east to Port Liberty, which takes around 40 minutes (traffic being taken into account already and assuming start driving out around 7 AM), then the Ferry takes you to Pier 11 within 20 minutes. And the traffic on the way back is also stable and predicatable. To get to the old World Trade Center area of downtown, you can either drive 45 minutes to Liberty Park N Ride in Jersey City then take Light Rail 10 minutes to Exchange Place then take Path 10 minutes to World Trade Center, or, you can take the train( There are three train stations, Millington, Sterling and Gillette, no waiting list for parking lots and generally cost you 200-300 annual fee ) which will get you into Hoboken within 60 minutes and from Hoboken you take Path to World Trade Center which takes 11 minutes, or, you can drive to Harrison Path station and park for 6-7 dollars and then take the PATH. There is a new Parking structure being build at Harrison Path station and the Hwy 78 to GSP junction is now being rebuilt so the traffic and Parking is ok, particularly if you start before 7:30 AM. To get to the Middletown of New York you can take Midtown direct train which will get you directly to New York Pen Station a little bit over an hour.

Schools are decent and in particular high school is shared with Warren, Watchung and Green Brook. Neighborhood is quiet, close to nature, trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey