Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 31,290 times

Advertisements

The Foundry at Liberty State Park - Jersey City's Latest Condo Conversion

Hey Guys,

Searched the forums and didn't find much about this area or development. My wife and I are relocating from California. We're 30 something caucasian, no kids, and we both moonlight as musicians. I'll be working in Chelsea. We're looking for lots of space and the 3 bedroom lofts at the Foundry are huge. The prices cannot be beat.

Was wondering if anybody had any info on the safety of the neighborhood, commute length to NYC, convenience, etc.

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
What are they asking for a 3 bedroom, and how many square feet is it?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
What are they asking for a 3 bedroom, and how many square feet is it?
$2465
1550sq ft

Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balzac.thegreat View Post
$2465
1550sq ft
Ouch. That really puts things into perspective. Here in my area you can purchase a home twice that size on an acre lot and pay less than that per month for a mortgage and property taxes combined. It really makes me laugh when the local yokels whine about our "expensive" cost-of-living in NEPA.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,862 times
I cant believe im back for another Jersey City post . Well to the og poster, it really depends on what your looking for in your neighborhood too. The area has alot of problems as far as crime. There is basically no conveniences within walking distance, just bodegas. The only really considered "nice" place in JC is the downtown area which has supermarkets and financial buildings, restaurants, bars etc (Alot like downtown BK). Im really not sure about prices either but im pretty sure you can find lofts downtown for almost the same price, or even in outside areas of JC. Like I said though if saftey isnt your concern (which it really should be) then go for it, but honestly the area is far from any real great upswing. As far as visual appeal, I really like the look of the area where the foundry condo is. I always liked the run down "hood" look of the area, but not fond of the crime. I truley hope that the area always keeps its gritty look and looses the crime. Theres also a poster on here that could give you alot more first hand info his name is Jersey Man, I believe he was or still is a cop in the area. Hope this helped.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:38 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
ehh, that neighborhood gets no thumbs up or thumbs down from me. There are very few conveniences over there and you'll be hopping on the train or in a car everytime you need something. The positive is that the light rail stop is right there and since it's the point where the two routes converge you get double the frequency for getting up to the PATH train.

The rents are fairly typical for new construction in JC. That doesn't really surprise me.

You could do far worse in JC but still, if you're going to be working in the city I would pick Exchange Place, Grove St and even Journal Square before I lived next to a big park & ride.

I say keep looking.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,862 times
Acctually you know what, im gonna stress the saftey thing even further. I just read a sickening article today that an inncocent man waiting to get the lightrail right outside the foundry lofts was stabbed to death. Dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but I figured that should be brought to the attention of someone interested in the area.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:44 PM

191 posts, read 698,184 times
Quote:
I just read a sickening article today that an inncocent man waiting to get the lightrail right outside the foundry lofts was stabbed to death.
I just saw the same article - here's a link

1010 WINS New York's #1 source for local news, traffic and weather - Man Fatally Stabbed on Commute to Work in N.J. (http://www.1010wins.com/Man-Fatally-Stabbed-on-Commute-to-Work-in-N-J-/2907728 - broken link)

Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I would pass on this place. I've seen ads for it. The building looks very nice. New, modern apartments with nice amenities and a pretty good price. But the neighborhood stinks. Like everyone has said, there's not much around there, so you'll have to get in the car or take a train to get anything more than a gallon of milk. And it's not THE most dangerous neighborhood in town, but it sure ain't pretty meadows and hugs. Look downtown. Sacrifice one bedroom for a better location.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Gnarly story about the stabbing. Though from a logical standpoint, the likelihood of a schizophrenic guy losing it and stabbing you to death seems the same whether you're in the best or worst neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey