Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:19 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Thanks for the links. The success rate ranges from 41% to 3%, MFS and MHS success rates to their '10 chosen schools' are above 3%. Millburn's 13% is great and no surprise. The .pdf doesn't identify what 10 schools were selected for the study, clearly arbitrary.

This link below shows us six kids going to the Ivy League plus Stanford from Moorestown Friends, the private school in town, the story lists just a sampling, not the complete list of the 69 graduates. But we know 7 kids at a minimum are going Ivy or equivalent based on the story. That's more than 10% 'success rate' as identified in the .pdf. Clearly, then, MFS is a feeder school based on the article's success rates even though it might not be sending 20 kids or more to their 10 chosen schools because it only graduates 69 kids. That's doesn't make its success rate any less valid. And I did not include Notre Dame, Haverford, Swarthmore or Bryn Mawr. If you include those, the success rate for MFS is 16% at a minimum.

Moorestown Friends graduates 69 (phillyBurbs.com) | Education (http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/275-06082008-1545910.html - broken link)

I don't have a list for MHS but I'll be sure to post one when I do. What you'll find is similar to MFS, they send kids to the same schools.

So getting back to my original point, looking at the established 'success rates' to highly selective schools, MFS clearly is a feeder school; MHS is one as well but I don't have the data to back it up at present. When I do I will let you know. I guarantee you more than 3% (the lowest in the story) are going Ivy or equivalent, but I don't have the data to provide at this time.

It is possible MHS sends 15 kids, not 20, to their schools and it is even more likely based on proximity to Philly, MHS is sending kids to Swarthmore (factual) which has Ivy league admission standards, and in fact the kids might have gotten into Ivy or one of their 10, but chose to stay closer to home and attend Swarthmore instead. So the study is cool but it far from ironclad or definitive on the subject matter.
I look forward to this 'data' but all you have shown here is that a private school in Moorestown sent kids to the Ivy Leagues, which no one is debating and is frankly, is comparing apples to oranges when we are looking at public schools.

Keep trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
maybe this guy love Moorestown and maybe I just ought to take a drive and see how great it is. FunnyI know people will not agree with me on this but I drove all thru Madison and found it to be kinda dumpy. I mean compared to the towns where I came from in Northern BC it is not that great. I do not see tons of cash, great houses or even nice land. Now I need to get over for a day trip! I hope its great in Moorestown, and I believe that maybe the private school is great. One alot of awards. Glad you love it!! Nice to love where you live. I found my goal and I like were I am but by no means am I in the land of great things. I am planning to get my butt out of here eventually and get over to Chester, Peapack, that area. I love the land there. So great keep pushing Moorestown!

Last edited by stevemorse; 09-07-2008 at 12:30 PM..

Old 09-07-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I don't believe it. I know 2 people who went to Bayonne High - one went to Yale (and got graduate degrees from Harvard and Columbia), the other, Harvard - so Bayonne must be a feeder school to the Ivys.
wisea*s said in love

Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
maybe this guy love Moorestown and maybe I just ought to take a drive and see how great it is. FunnyI know people will not agree with me on this but I drove all thru Madison and found it to be kinda dumpy. I mean compared to the towns where I came from in Northern BC it is not that great. I do not see tons of cash, great houses or even nice land. Now I need to get over for a day trip! I hope its great in Moorestown, and I believe that maybe the private school is great. One alot of awards. Glad you love it!! Nice to love where you live. I found my goal and I like were I am but by no means am I in the land of great things. I am planning to get my butt out of here eventually and get over to Chester, Peapack, that area. I love the land there. So great keep pushing Moorestown!
I'm not trying to prove how great Moorestown is; it is well documented. I'm just responding to those who unnecessarily challenged my assertions and knowledge about the blue ribbon school systems (public/private) and then put words in my mouth which is silly. I live here and am not making any boasts or claims that are not factual or widely known about Moorestown. The area turns out a lot of Ivy Leaguers like some of the other districts in NJ; to challenge that is to show ignorance. It also has two of the oldest schools in NJ public or private. Quality of the schools is one reason why Money ranked it best place to live in 2005.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:04 PM

646 posts, read 2,668,147 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to prove how great Moorestown is; it is well documented. I'm just responding to those who unnecessarily challenged my assertions and knowledge about the blue ribbon school systems (public/private) and then put words in my mouth which is silly. I live here and am not making any boasts or claims that are not factual or widely known about Moorestown. The area turns out a lot of Ivy Leaguers like some of the other districts in NJ; to challenge that is to show ignorance. It also has two of the oldest schools in NJ public or private. Quality of the schools is one reason why Money ranked it best place to live in 2005.

Your "assertions" are fact less,you have provided nothing to back your claims were as others have.Noone has agrued the MTF is not a good school you,yet you call anyone who disagrees with you ignorant.How many "graduates" did Millburn High school have in 08 and where did they attend college,or can you give info on the same thing for Seton Hall,Delbarton,Newark Academy,Oak Knoll,Princton Country Day...etc?
As for Moorestown being one of the best places to live,it might be.So are Millburn/Short Hills,Rumson,Chatum,Princton...etc.

Millburn had 29 going to Ivy league in 2004 with a class of 97% going to 4 year colleges.

http://njrealestatewire.com/category...-hills-living/

Old 09-07-2008, 03:11 PM

646 posts, read 2,668,147 times
Mr Moorestown, read this and weep!

Short Hills, Millburn, Livingston, New Jersey and Midtown Direct Real Estate, Home Buying and Selling, Top Realtor » Millburn High School 2008 Graduates Go Ivy

Sorry but I think needs to be done.For 2008

Millburn High School 2008 Graduates Go Ivy

June 19th, 2008 Categories: Education in NJ, Millburn & Short Hills Living
Every time I am asked “What is so great about living in Millburn and Short Hills New Jersey?”

I can always point to the wonderful education provided to our children.

Not only was Millburn High School awarded a national Blue Ribbon award this year, but twenty-nine of the 331 graduating seniors in 2008 are scheduled to go to Ivy League schools next year.

Here is a glimpse into the number of students and the colleges and universities the 2008 Millburn High School graduates will attend:
Ivy League Schools:
1-Brown University
4-Columbia University
13-Cornell University
2-Dartmouth College
1-Harvard University
4-University of Pennsylvania
3-Princeton University
1-Yale University

14-Syracuse University
12-University of Michigan
11-Rutgers University
9-Vanderbilt University
8-University of Arizona
7-New York University
6-Boston University
6-University of Rochester
5-Stanford University
5-Villanova University
4-Indiana University
4-Lafayette College
4-Maryland University
3-American University
3-Georgetown University
3-George Washington University
3-Lehigh University
3-Seton Hall University
3-Tufts University
3-Tulane University
3-Vassar College
3-Washington University (St. Louis)
Other schools represented are Duke, Barnard, Rochester Institute of Technology, Hobart & William Smith, Penn State, Colgate, Northwestern, Fordham, Amherst, University of Notre Dame and Emory to name but a few. And, a member of the 2008 class will be entering the Israeli Defense Force.
An impressive list by any standard.
Congratulations Millburn High School Class of 2008.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
good for you , I am not saying your right or wrong, I dont have kids and I could care less if its the best the world, to me I would just like to see what Moorestown is like since you talk so good about it!! It must be pretty nice. I saw on images google there is a main street looks nice! I am going to make a trip!!! I will give you my honest opinion if interested after I see it!!! Your cool in my book!!

Old 09-07-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Mr Moorestown, read this and weep!

Short Hills, Millburn, Livingston, New Jersey and Midtown Direct Real Estate, Home Buying and Selling, Top Realtor » Millburn High School 2008 Graduates Go Ivy

Sorry but I think needs to be done.For 2008

Millburn High School 2008 Graduates Go Ivy

June 19th, 2008 Categories: Education in NJ, Millburn & Short Hills Living
Every time I am asked “What is so great about living in Millburn and Short Hills New Jersey?”

I can always point to the wonderful education provided to our children.

Not only was Millburn High School awarded a national Blue Ribbon award this year, but twenty-nine of the 331 graduating seniors in 2008 are scheduled to go to Ivy League schools next year.

Here is a glimpse into the number of students and the colleges and universities the 2008 Millburn High School graduates will attend:
Ivy League Schools:
1-Brown University
4-Columbia University
13-Cornell University
2-Dartmouth College
1-Harvard University
4-University of Pennsylvania
3-Princeton University
1-Yale University

14-Syracuse University
12-University of Michigan
11-Rutgers University
9-Vanderbilt University
8-University of Arizona
7-New York University
6-Boston University
6-University of Rochester
5-Stanford University
5-Villanova University
4-Indiana University
4-Lafayette College
4-Maryland University
3-American University
3-Georgetown University
3-George Washington University
3-Lehigh University
3-Seton Hall University
3-Tufts University
3-Tulane University
3-Vassar College
3-Washington University (St. Louis)
Other schools represented are Duke, Barnard, Rochester Institute of Technology, Hobart & William Smith, Penn State, Colgate, Northwestern, Fordham, Amherst, University of Notre Dame and Emory to name but a few. And, a member of the 2008 class will be entering the Israeli Defense Force.
An impressive list by any standard.
Congratulations Millburn High School Class of 2008.
This guy says this is the best here, so who the hell cares, there better than camden thats all that matters!!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 04:22 PM

Moorestown sends 10-15 to the Ivies each year and roughly 30 to Ivy league equivalents. The list of schools is just as impressive as Millburn's, which has a slightly higher enrollment.

Of course I never said MHS is better or even as good as Millburn, though, it should be noted that MHS was awarded Blue Ribbon designation in 2000.

Here's a sampling of schools taken from the MHS website:

Cornell
Columbia
Harvard
Dickinson College
Georgia Tech
Emory
Johns Hopkins
NYU
Princeton
Smith
Swarthmore
Cal - Berkley
Penn
Virginia
Yale
Lehigh
Notre Dame
Michigan
Wake Forest
Bryn Mawr
Wesleyan
Ursinus
Boston College
Lafayette
BYU
Drew
MIT
RIT
George Washington
Georgetown
Tufts

Old 09-07-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
good for you , I am not saying your right or wrong, I dont have kids and I could care less if its the best the world, to me I would just like to see what Moorestown is like since you talk so good about it!! It must be pretty nice. I saw on images google there is a main street looks nice! I am going to make a trip!!! I will give you my honest opinion if interested after I see it!!! Your cool in my book!!
Thanks, check it out. Beautiful town. You need to know where you are going to really see the town though.

Of course you can't miss the community house on Main Street donned by 'nipper' statues - nipper the dog of RCA Victor who lived in town decades ago. Nipper is the insignia of RCA records.

Moorestown Community House > Default

The largest private estate in NJ (one of the largest in the country) is in town but you can't see it, it is treed off. It belongs to Vernon Hill the former CEO of Commerce Bank. It's 45,000 square feet on 40 acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey