U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:20 PM
jws jws started this thread

5 posts, read 55,024 times

Advertisements

Is Bayonne a good, safe place to live?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 06:55 PM

562 posts, read 2,534,914 times
I wonder the same thing.. Elizabeth is located across the river from Bayonne.. I see it everyday from the ELizabeth side and wonder if anyone lives there... l-)

Old 02-04-2007, 09:17 AM

359 posts, read 2,524,792 times
i dont live in bayonne but im always there and it seems like a great place to live. Its very diverse very well upkept city. I have noticed that some blocks are a little run down but for the most part its great. It has a great downtown and easy access to NYC and the rest of Hudson county.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:38 AM
jws jws started this thread

5 posts, read 55,024 times
Thanks for the help so far.

Does anyone know how safe Bayonne is? Crime statistics are lower than the NJ and US average. Also, how good of a school is Bayonne High? I looked at the courses they offered and was amazed at the variety. The schools were I currently live don't have near as much variety as BHS.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:17 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,881,600 times
Bayonne's a really nice town. I'm surprised it hasn't taken off like Hoboken or Jersey City.

The schools are nice, very low ammounts of crime, nice people, a nice downtown shopping area, and a big Stop & Shop & movie theater on the other side of 440.

Also Bayonne has light rail stops that will take you to the PATH which will drop you off in NYC. You can get from Bayonne to lower Manhattan (Wall St area) in 30 minutes.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:47 PM

9 posts, read 58,497 times
The only thing Bayonne is good for is food.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:10 AM

6 posts, read 51,798 times
Default Bayonne

Bayonne didn't take off like Hoboken and JC because the commute to Manhattan is hellish. I lived there for 2 years. It is a great town for schools and it is very safe, however it was my experience that it is hard to fit in there if you were not born there or living there for a generation or so. It seems a bit close knit. Otherwise, I think it is a very nice place.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:47 AM
NDL

4,015 posts, read 4,750,749 times
Hoping that the original poster doesn't mind me adding to his or her questions, and having had an interest in Bayonne myself, I was encouraged by everyone's positive comments.

What I can't understand however, are comments saying that Bayonne is safe. It wouldn't surprise me if most of Bayonne is safe, but there is a part of Bayonne, that doesn't look too hot.

Can anyone list the sections of Bayonne? I noticed an Italian Market or two. Is Bayonne heavily Italian?

Finally, does anyone know what section is along Kennedy Blvd? Going northbound, by a park, I noticed a wealth of beautiful homes.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-21-2007, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 33,319 times
A cousin lives in Bayonne and he says he likes it. He says schools aren't the greatest though. He says homes are nice and its comfortable there (and cheaper), and he likes it being close to the City. I'm wondering about the air pollution, if it's bad. I think there's an old refinery in Bayonne, right? Also, I wonder how safe it is being so close to Elizabeth. I'll have to find out.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM

317 posts, read 1,182,588 times
Have 2 friends that used to live in Bayonne and one still works there as the boro attorney. I will ask him detailed questions for you if you would like? In his position, I am sure he is intimately familiar with the kinds of questions you ask.

My experience with Bayonne is that it would not be for me but that is because I like space from my neighbors, and I like having a large backyard!

The homes are old altho some are beautiful, but on top of one another. It definitely is a city town but apparently very close knit. It's not a pretty town.

What are you lookiing for in your life that brings you to Bayonne!

Oh yes, the food is awesome. Great Italian/Polish/Irish community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey