Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 07:30 PM

52 posts, read 172,526 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

One of the homes we're looking at in Colonia has well water. This is a completely new and somewhat frightening thing for us. According to our agent, the water is purified before it hits the well and is pumped directly into the house. Does this sound right? Should we add an additional purifier as an added precaution?

Some other questions -
What is typically the source of the well water? Is it normally water that is just underground?
What happens if there is a really bad drought season? Can/will the well run dry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
If it's an artesian well, yes, the water flows through the layers of the stone and sand and gets to your house. But if it's not an artesian well, that doesn't make much sense.

We have a well in our country home but have no need for a filter or other such mechanism.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:50 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
There is no mechanism prior to water entering well. The Seller must have water tested every 5 years and forward results to buyer and/or tenants. This is an in depth testing for heavy metals and other contaminants. The testing can cost in excess of $500.00

Old 09-05-2008, 04:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
I think they gave you the information backwards...

The water is pumped into the house, then you can either choose to put a water softener/filtration device on it or not. At my dad's old house, his well was so deep, the water quality was better then our shallow well. Well water is nothing new to me, I grew up drinking well water at the family business in Watchung. People used to stop just to drink our water, it was so good.

We never ran out of water, not even in the old house we just moved from 3 months ago (the one with the shallow well). Ask how deep the well is and if they have any documentation. One thing I will suggest, you don't want to be dumping stuff on your lawn by the well to be on the safe side.

We prefer well water and like it better because why should someone have to pay for something that is free?

Old 09-05-2008, 04:51 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
I'll take well water over city water anyday! City water is the recycled water you flush down your toilet!!!! Well water comes from deep beneath the ground... rain water that is filter through layers and layers of good soil..limestone, etc. Regarding adding any additional filtering..all depends on the condition of the ground water - i.e. hard, iron, etc. You can have a water purification compnay come out and do a simple test on the water to see if you need a softener or other kind of prefiltering. But otherwise...well water is great!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:34 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
The biggest issues with well water are...

1. sometimes the water pressure is not that great
2. hard water can require a water softener
3. mineral deposits can require special filtration systems.

I had all three with my present home. Had to replumb all of the water lines to increase the pressure. The existing water softener had become "iron fouled" due to the massive amounts of iron ore in the ground where I live. Need to replace the softener and add a special filtration system for the iron to keep my clothes and toilets from appearing "rusty". Total cost about $3,000, with BF doing all of the work himself. Would have been closer to $5000 or $6,000 if we had to hire a plumber.

My previous home only require a $700 softener unit from Sears. So it really depends on where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey