Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:59 AM

36 posts, read 160,975 times

Advertisements

You will also find Garfield, North Arlington and Lodi to have high Italian populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 04:21 PM

4 posts, read 19,402 times
Default Italians

Italian americans are the largest ethnic group in Bergen County NJ.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:18 PM

6 posts, read 85,904 times
Wow, i got about 5 of those, and im Indian! Fits though, us Indians are everywhere, doing everying and trying to be everyone! Evenwhen I went to Italy, there were loads of indians selling bootlag items. Im not from socal, i grew up in Edison and live in that area today so i cant help you, but let me tell you, i had a blast just reading this., since i practiacally was raised by italians.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Default Really big Italian town..

Do not forget Lodi in Bergen County.....just about all Italian! Also Franklin Lakes has tons!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Default Nice post CJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-FROM-NJ View Post
LOLOLOL hahahah the "pasta triangle"????? LOL I never in my life growing up here heard that expression. That's great! I miss the old neighborhoods of yester-years so much. When the italians (and irish and poles and germans) looked out for everyone in the neighborhood. Your block was your pride and people respected each others property and helped out when you needed something. Right now I couldn't even tell you my neighbors name. I think its Paco.

When I was a kid we could play outside till the street lights came on or until mom called us in for "supper". LOL We played man-hunt no matter what the weather was for hours and hours! Now a days you can't let your kids out of sight. Every Sunday it was Macaroni and gravy, yes that's right it's gravy not sauce!

I miss my Uncle Louie and Aunt Molly's(god rest their) soul 2 sided swing in the back yard under the grape vineyard hanging over head. We used to sit on the home made wooden swing for hours in the summer time watching the men play botchy ball. And yes we had plastic covers on the furniture too. You would have to peel your azz off of them in the summertime.

I miss the old school way of things. I feel like everytime a person dies in the family - a part of our history and heritage dies with it. So sad.

I would give anything to be 10 again playing Atari on the livingroom floor. And of course each house had a huge TV set with that heavy wood built around it. And when that "set" broke you would just put a smaller one on top of it until the tv repair man came to replace the "tube."

Ahhhh, kids today don't know what they missed.
I could not agree with you more! All American way of life back then......no more. The good old days were the best! People used to have block parties back then too...now if people were to have one not only would they not know there neighbors but they would need to know 10 other languages besides English!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:41 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,097 times
Franklin Lakes certainly does. I'm one of many Italians in Tuxedo Park, NY and there are a few families from Franklin Lakes that go to our chuch in TP.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:24 PM

37 posts, read 166,731 times
Italians are EVERYWHERE in NJ...seriously. I grew up in Toms River...tons and tons of Italians. Great town...a little crowded but close to everything so it's convenient.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:16 PM

562 posts, read 2,614,738 times
all the Italians are in Italy.. lol.. just kidding.. but seriously you make your neighborhood what you want to make it.. I saw the posting and I too felt that way.. that b4 everything was different.. but it's not.. it's only memories as a child.. even now kids have a different perspective of life than grown ups.. they don't care if other speak other languages, some might think it's cool.. if you want a homey neighborhood then reach out to your neighbors.. if you don't start communicating don't expect others to do so.. you might learn a lot from different cultures.. i know i have.. my neighbors are Portuguese, Indians, Jewish, Black, Brazilian, Peruvians, Irish and Chinese.. and I have learned to respect everyones culture and it's great when they share pastries.. maybe if some of you are a bit more open minded, it might make a big difference..

good luck!

btw.. ALL AMERICAN, does it mean Italian, Irish and Polish etc.. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I could not agree with you more! All American way of life back then......no more. The good old days were the best! People used to have block parties back then too...now if people were to have one not only would they not know there neighbors but they would need to know 10 other languages besides English!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:39 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
Originally Posted by Blondie621

If I understood this correctly, ALL AMERICAN was a time when people of different cultures came to this country and adopted an American lifestyle. Yes, some may have retained the culture of their heritage in their homes, but most also tried to assimilate and be one with their neighbors. Also, the immigrants of the past did not come here making demands that America change its makeup to best suit them, and most of them learned to read & write English.

Last edited by mikenbacismama; 08-16-2007 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 08-17-2007, 05:04 PM

11 posts, read 59,124 times
we live in hammonton which is mostly italians. my husband was born and raised here. we moved back here 6 years ago and it's the best town i have ever lived in! it's not a big town at all and everyone knows everyone. the schools are wonderful, we have two kids, one with special needs, and i don't have one complaint to hammonton.

since my husband had grown up here, and most of his family is here, we had no problem fitting in, especially with such an italian last name! (yep, my husband is italian)

i think moving here and not knowing anyone would be difficult for some. hammonton residents like who they know, and really don't embrace outsiders much. when we bought a house here, we got a very good deal on it because the owners of the house knew my husband's family. they reduced the price by 15,000 for us. back then, there were no FHA houses anywhere and it's hard to find a house here because no one leaves! the town hasn't changed much because basically, the old timers here don't like change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey