Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:57 PM

201 posts, read 1,010,135 times

Advertisements

Washington Township NJ, the one near Deptford NJ. It is soooooo Italian there.

They all moved out of South Philly, as South Philly is mostly Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 07:26 PM

322 posts, read 1,191,142 times
My home town Lodi used to be mostly Italian. Not so much anymore. It's changed a lot.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 PM

11 posts, read 58,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcbunny View Post
Washington Township NJ, the one near Deptford NJ. It is soooooo Italian there.

They all moved out of South Philly, as South Philly is mostly Asian.
washington twp. nj is where i grew up! it has gotten so congested with traffic, it's like driving around philly!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 PM

562 posts, read 2,610,573 times
you are stereotyping Immigrants.. and not all are the same.. just like some of the immigrants in the past.. not all current immigrants are ignorant like you make it seem.. don't forget that Italians started crime organizations.. now would it be smart if I said all Italians are gangsters?? of course not... that would be stereotyping.. b/c I have lots of Italian friends and they are not mobsters.. IMO, the problem with many people is not others but the lack of having an open mind.. these people feel safe by locking their doors and not communicating with neighbors.. oh well ignorance still exists..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Originally Posted by Blondie621
I could not agree with you more! All American way of life back then......no more. The good old days were the best! People used to have block parties back then too...now if people were to have one not only would they not know there neighbors but they would need to know 10 other languages besides English!

If I understood this correctly, ALL AMERICAN was a time when people of different cultures came to this country and adopted an American lifestyle. Yes, some may have retained the culture of their heritage in their homes, but most also tried to assimilate and be one with their neighbors. Also, the immigrants of the past did not come here making demands that America change its makeup to best suit them, and most of them learned to read & write English.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:03 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,176,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
you are stereotyping Immigrants.. and not all are the same.. just like some of the immigrants in the past.. not all current immigrants are ignorant like you make it seem.. don't forget that Italians started crime organizations.. now would it be smart if I said all Italians are gangsters?? of course not... that would be stereotyping.. b/c I have lots of Italian friends and they are not mobsters.. IMO, the problem with many people is not others but the lack of having an open mind.. these people feel safe by locking their doors and not communicating with neighbors.. oh well ignorance still exists..
No, my intent was not to stereotype immigrants. I do find it frustrating, though, that many people entering this country these days expect Americans to bend over for them to accommodate some of their needs or beliefs. Whether it's foot baths or prayer rooms in schools for Muslims (by the way, what happened to separation of church & state...the ACLU doesn't seem to complain about this) or Spanish signs and literature for our Spanish speaking "guests", I feel these are examples of immigrants not being willing to assimilate. Sorry if you disagree.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,579 times
Default The Flight of Italian, Irish and Scottish from Kearny

About 90% of the Italians, Irish and Scotish have fled Kearny and have been replaced with 90% hispanics. We visit my former hometown yearly and on our last visit our family went to Walmart in Harrison and were stunned at what we saw. No signs in English anywhere. No one spoke English. It was like shopping in Latin America. It was astounding. (when my grandmother came to America from Sicily in 1916 she didn't press 2 for Italian, she learned the English language.) Those that do not are predestined to be a ditch digger or laborer and will never attain the keys to the American dream unless they learn English. It's really as simple as that.
Van Gogh

Old 08-22-2007, 09:46 AM

562 posts, read 2,610,573 times
Don't get me wrong.. I'm hispanic and I too see that as an issue.. but you have to understand that in many of the metro areas hispanics are not the minority so many businesses adjust to make business.. but keep in mind that there lots of different types of hispanics.. some are educated and some are not.. the ones that are educated contribute and cope to US diversified society.. others that are not, unfortunately ruin it for the rest..

I too agree in regards to your example of Muslims schools.. it can be any religion.. but then again the US was established on freedom of religion as one of the main laws.. I guess our founders did not realize the # of different religions ;-) unlike other countries where there is a majority of a religion which is why is taught in schools.. ie. in Italy the majority is Roman Catholic, so the teach this in schools.. here in the US it's different b/c there is no majority publicized.. it can be Catholic, Christian, Jewish, Buddism, Muslim, and of course each has a sub classification.. so this would be impossible...

Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 PM

322 posts, read 1,191,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Gogh View Post
About 90% of the Italians, Irish and Scotish have fled Kearny and have been replaced with 90% hispanics. We visit my former hometown yearly and on our last visit our family went to Walmart in Harrison and were stunned at what we saw. No signs in English anywhere. No one spoke English. It was like shopping in Latin America. It was astounding. (when my grandmother came to America from Sicily in 1916 she didn't press 2 for Italian, she learned the English language.) Those that do not are predestined to be a ditch digger or laborer and will never attain the keys to the American dream unless they learn English. It's really as simple as that.
Van Gogh
Yep, any major store here in Northern New Jersey has all signs in English and Spanish. Our voting ballots are in English and Spanish. This is currently a bilingual state. You can thank our spineless politicians for the current situation. Political correctness gone mad.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:21 PM

71 posts, read 320,884 times
Default I grew up in Fort Lee

Fort Lee was Italian central back in the day....everyone came off the boat, literally, like my grandparents, and settled in Fort Lee, Fairview, Cliffside Park, Palisades Park. Oh Lordy, the Pizzas I have eaten! Namely Jerry's in Fort Lee, Linwood Pizza, and ohhh the mussells marinara!!! We had the St. Rocco's Feast, the Madonna Carnival. Every house had a Virgin Mother Statue on the front lawn. The Holy Trinity Church was full every Sunday, and the shoemakers, the cleaners, the grocers, were all Italians.

But see, that was years ago....and even when I was a little girl, it started to become more diverse. When I was small, it was Japanese who moved to Fort Lee, but over the years it became more Korean, South Asian and Eastern European. Now its just a hodgepodge. I'm afraid all the 'mainly Italian' areas have fallen into this pattern.

Its funny, isn't it? Everyone called for 'diversity' - but somehow, every neighborhood being so diverse has culled the culture. Neighborhoods that had a lot of ethnic charm and culture are no longer. Unless you count the very Arabic, very Indian or very Korean neighborhoods. For some reason, no one infiltrates those. I guess because those areas are for those cultures solely, and don't even want anyone else shopping or eating in them. (these neighborhoods I speak of are in Jersey City, Pal Pk., Clifton for some examples). I feel like we have lost a lot of great neighborhoods in these past years. Even the great Polish neighborhoods are so mish moshed that they aren't so great anymore.

Garfield does have a lot of Italians, but more hispanic than Italian and more Polish/Bosnian. Garfield is really just mix now. I don't think any town in Jersey exists like that. Except for Gloucester which is all Irish. But that town stinks.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:33 PM

71 posts, read 320,884 times
Default I miss Sunday Pasta Dinner too.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I could not agree with you more! All American way of life back then......no more. The good old days were the best! People used to have block parties back then too...now if people were to have one not only would they not know there neighbors but they would need to know 10 other languages besides English!
Oh wow. Every Sunday, my uncles and aunts and cousins would come with crumbcake, donuts, rolls, butter, and my mother would host Sunday breakfast. It was loud and opinionated and raucous! My mother would start the gravy early on Sunday, with Bracciole, meatballs and mushrooms. At about 3 o'clock the other side of my family would come over, and we would have Sunday dinner. The kids would eat at the 'kids' table, and we got to drink SODA!! The ONE day a week we were allowed to have it! Afterwards, you just got to run around with all your cousins, until the adults had their espresso and dessert, and then you ran back in the house for dessert, and then right back out again. Until my mother called and said it was time to come in. Of course, I had to help put away the folding chairs, and put dishes away.

But dammit, we try to make this a tradition in our family nowadays... but it can never be done. Everyone always has all of these obligations. All I ever remember was Church, Sunday breakfast, Sunday dinner. We never went shopping, or to a mall on Sunday. We never had classes, or study groups, or anything else to do on Sundays. Now, I can't get my sisters all together with their families on Sunday, even though all 6 of us live within the confines of Bergen County. Sad. You're right...... I miss it like hell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey