Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 12:04 AM

578 posts, read 2,098,007 times

Advertisements

I was curious...the areas around exit 8A and 8 on the NJTP...what exactly are they like?

1) Is this still an industrial area, is it suburban, rural, or a mix?
2) Is this a heavy commuter zone...and if so...where do people go?
-NY?
-North Jersey?
-Philly/South Jersey?
3) Is it experiencing or will it a lot of sprawl?
4) Also....those in this area...do they normally associate with NY, Philly, or both, and which sports teams do they go for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 06:55 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
I was curious...the areas around exit 8A and 8 on the NJTP...what exactly are they like?

1) Is this still an industrial area, is it suburban, rural, or a mix?
2) Is this a heavy commuter zone...and if so...where do people go?
-NY?
-North Jersey?
-Philly/South Jersey?
3) Is it experiencing or will it a lot of sprawl?
4) Also....those in this area...do they normally associate with NY, Philly, or both, and which sports teams do they go for?
Hightstown is a small town, about 285 years old, and I believe is only 2 miles square. There's a main street with a pharmacy, shoe store, coffee shop(s), seamstress, diner, banks, shoe maker, etc. There's a lot of schools, private and public, and a lot of churches. . .the taxes are high. There are very few lots available to build on, so not much room for sprawl.

There's a lot of commuter traffic that goes through Hightstown in the a.m. and p.m. and the rest of the day isn't so busy; the town is centered between NY and Philly. It takes 45 min. to 1 hour to get to either city.

I think there's a mix of sports fans. . .eagles and giants, mostly.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:28 PM

Not just Hightstown...but the general area...it no longer is a major source of commuting tp NY?

Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 AM

208 posts, read 852,821 times
Hi Blue. The area around these exits are still high commuter areas. Exit 8 is Freehold/Hightstown. When I lived in Freehold, most people would take Rt 9 to the GSP to get to NYC, however Freehold is almost 40 square miles so it depends what side you're on. Exit 8A is Monroe/Jamesburg area and is much more industrial. There has been tons of New Construction in Monroe, making it more of a mix town, but you will have to deal with a 5 minute wait sometimes to get on the Turnpike during rush hour due to the large amount of trucks you are competing against. People in these areas commute to all three, North Jersey, NYC, and Philly. It's funny how much cultural difference there is in this area, but there is A LOT. Freehold and Monroe residents are slighty closer to NYC and go for Giants, Jets, Knicks, Devils, Rangers, Etc. Hightstown and Jamesburg are further West, therefore, closer to Philly and have many Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers fans. (This Sports knowledge only comes from sales based on working at Target in both Manalapan and East Windsor and from family/friends who live in the area)

Old 09-07-2008, 01:08 PM

1) Freehold and Monroe...those are in Middlesex county?
-Hightstown and Jamsburg are Mercer county?
-Is that about the split line?

2) Is this area industrial, suburban, or rural?
-Driving on the NJTP it is hard to see.

3) Is it growing and sprawling?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:18 PM

208 posts, read 852,821 times
Jamesburg and Monroe are Middlesex County, Hightstown is Mercer County, and Freehold is Monmouth County so all three counties meet around there. Are you looking for a big town or small town? Jamesburg and Hightstown are really small and are surrounded by Monroe (Jamesburg) and East Windsor (Hightstown). Monroe has a lot of industrial in one area but what once was open fields in now being built up making it mix. East Windsor is pretty well built up also and has more commercial than industrial and more residential than anything else. Freehold is all residential and commercial and is home to the Freehold Racetrack and Freehold Raceway Mall. I only mention it because I am from there so I am always biased towards thinking Freehold is the greatest place on earth
None of these towns are sprawling to the point of being a major city. I would say they all have healthy growth. If you are looking to move, you should base it on schools (if you have children) or if not, then maybe taxes. For example, Monroe has low taxes, but, they are in need of a new highschool with the growing population due to all the new construction and now the taxes are going to go up as they get the approvals and budget for the highschool.
Where would you be commuting too?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:23 PM

I'm not looking to move...I am simply interested in knowing about this area of central NJ in terms of if it's rural/suburban...what metro area people commute/ID with...and sporting team preferrences.

I am SHOCKED that Jamesburg would have Philadelphia fans since it is closer to NY, which is the bigger market, than Philadelphia, and is in Middlesex County...part of the NY Census track and bordering Staten Island, part of NYC.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM

20 posts, read 71,218 times
I grew up in Old Bridge and moved to Jamesburg about 3 years ago, so I am not a "lifer" who has a jaded opinion. I bought here for a few key reasons:

-The quaint downtown (which could use more restaurants and bars but is still very functional). Most of the stores are owner-operated, which creates a nostalgic and customer friendly environment;
-The very nice and down-to-earth people. Before living here, I barely knew my neighbors. In Jamesburg, they come over to watch football games and cut my lawn without me asking!;
-The convenient location. We are within 3 minutes of Exit 8A on the Turnpike and within 10 minutes of various shopping centers on Routes 1, 130, 9 and 18.
-Contrary to popular belief, Jamesburg has one of the lowest crime rates in Middlesex County. The police have a huge presence and know when something is wrong. Sure there is a small issue here and there, but Jamesburg is just like any other town.
- The town is in the midst of a revitalization. They are renovating parks, adding decorative sidewalks to downtown, etc. New buildings are being built and the older ones are being restored. The county has plans to fix the crazy intersection and homeowners are improving their homes on every block.

If anyone is considering moving to the area, put Jamesburg at the top of the list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey