Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 5,724 times

Advertisements

I had a few questions about lake hopatcong...

1. I'm moving into a 3 bedroom house pretty spacious and was wondering how much the average heating cost is? Its an older home so there will be a draft, but I'm planning on putting plastic on most of the windows and it has an old wood burning stove that is fully fuctional. Also, how much would it cost to get a cleaning for the stove?

2. What is the name of the company that supplies oil to the homes and since I am a renter what can I expect on price and delivery?

3. I'm going to be living off of Stanhope Sparta Rd. (Old Stanhope road) how is the snow removal?

4. I'm planning on taking the train to Morristown, where I work, and was wondering are they usually on time?

5. My roomate will be traveling to wayne 2 times a week and has to be at William Paterson at 8 o'clock, what time would be a good time for her to leave?

This is kind of experimental we only have a 6 month lease and obviously we're going to moving at the worst time of the year. It's to bad that neither of us had more time to look for a place, but this place is beautiful and I'm trying to make it stress free for all of us. Any other information on living pretty cheaply in that area would be great.

Thanks in advance!
-Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
I lived at one time off of Sparta Stanhope Rd........
The prices of oil were not the prices of today however........Oil is costly now.
I had a Vermont Castings Wood burning stove that we ran a lot. Filled it up to the brim with wood, that was wonderful heat...........it saved a lot in oil.
The train out of Netcong might be good. But, more trains leave in and out of Dover.
A short cut to Morristown would be on Sussex Turnpike, a road we loved to use.
For driving leave early..........Usually in no traffic it is an hour to Wayne....with commuter traffic add on a big bunch of time.
Hey, enjoy the lake.........just a fantastic area. Venture to the Windlass for a nice dinner overlooking the lake also.
I forgot the new transportation area out of Mt. Arlington, that should be a great help.

Last edited by Summering; 09-09-2008 at 08:20 AM..

Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,582,011 times
The 3 BR crapshack I rent in Ogdensburg is going to run 700 a month Dec 1 to Mar 31. No that is not a misprint. 700 a month. I am budgeting 3500 to 4000 IF oil stays where it is now and doesnt go back up to 145 a barrel. Oil isnt expensive it is ridiculous. No wood stove for me tho. Yes I plastic the windows. The house is occupied all day so i cant turn it down to 60 during the day.

Just call me Otto Sunshine

Old 09-09-2008, 10:58 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
We watch our tank very closely and call different oil companies for the price when ready to buy.
All though if you are a renter have you asked the land lord as they may have a service agreement/contract with one of the oil companies.

Utilize that wood burning stove

Old 09-09-2008, 02:47 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discomybiscuit View Post
I had a few questions about lake hopatcong...

1. I'm moving into a 3 bedroom house pretty spacious and was wondering how much the average heating cost is? Its an older home so there will be a draft, but I'm planning on putting plastic on most of the windows and it has an old wood burning stove that is fully fuctional. Also, how much would it cost to get a cleaning for the stove?

2. What is the name of the company that supplies oil to the homes and since I am a renter what can I expect on price and delivery?

3. I'm going to be living off of Stanhope Sparta Rd. (Old Stanhope road) how is the snow removal?

4. I'm planning on taking the train to Morristown, where I work, and was wondering are they usually on time?

5. My roomate will be traveling to wayne 2 times a week and has to be at William Paterson at 8 o'clock, what time would be a good time for her to leave?

This is kind of experimental we only have a 6 month lease and obviously we're going to moving at the worst time of the year. It's to bad that neither of us had more time to look for a place, but this place is beautiful and I'm trying to make it stress free for all of us. Any other information on living pretty cheaply in that area would be great.

Thanks in advance!
-Eric
Eric, there are lots of different oil companies you can choose from, you will need to call around and see where you can get the best rate.

As to what will it cost, way to many variables to even have a guess. is the heating system old, middle aged, new??? How big is the house, how much insulation in the attic, the walls, what will the average temp in the house be. How cold will it be outside.

As you can see, if anyone gives you an answer to your heating question it will just be a wild guess.

The first winter I was in my current house 2006 /2007 we had a 40 year old gas boiler and we kept the temp at 62 24 hours a day. The gas bill for January was over $900. We replaced the boiler and the windows, and put more insulation in the attic and last January the gas bill was under $300 with the heat kept at 68.

My guess is your heating bill will be very high.

be very careful of the woodburning stove, make sure the chimny is cleaned, and that the stove is in good working order or you could burn the place down.

The train into Morristown is usually within minutes of being ontime if it is not ontime.

James Boyer

Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
Eric, there are lots of different oil companies you can choose from, you will need to call around and see where you can get the best rate.

As to what will it cost, way to many variables to even have a guess. is the heating system old, middle aged, new??? How big is the house, how much insulation in the attic, the walls, what will the average temp in the house be. How cold will it be outside.

As you can see, if anyone gives you an answer to your heating question it will just be a wild guess.

The first winter I was in my current house 2006 /2007 we had a 40 year old gas boiler and we kept the temp at 62 24 hours a day. The gas bill for January was over $900. We replaced the boiler and the windows, and put more insulation in the attic and last January the gas bill was under $300 with the heat kept at 68.

My guess is your heating bill will be very high.

be very careful of the woodburning stove, make sure the chimny is cleaned, and that the stove is in good working order or you could burn the place down.

The train into Morristown is usually within minutes of being ontime if it is not ontime.

James Boyer
Yea I guess the heating question was kinda shot in the dark. I appreciate all the feed back!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:28 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
I use to use Liberty Oil and they were just great, I don't know if they are still there.

Be sure to clean once a month at least that wood stove pipe.......make sure to have that long brush, and go out when there is no snow on the roof........or ice!

Old 11-15-2008, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 18,804 times
Welcome to Lake Hopatcong -- I think you'll be pretty happy out here. We live right on the border of LH and Sparta, and I can say all of the concerns you had listed above are managable. We've had the same oil company for a few years now (Region), and their service has been responsive and reliable. To help with the heat in the winter, we rely on our wood stove -- maintenance is cheap, maybe $115 for it to be swept once a year. The trains are reliable as well -- I rode them for 2 years and didn't have too much trouble, you just have to get used to the fact that you're on a schedule other than your own. Finally snow removal -- no worries, they do an excellent job ensuring the roads are safe. Best of luck to you in your new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey