Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:22 PM

82 posts, read 109,824 times

Advertisements

If your thinking Basking Ridge, you might want to consider eastern Monmouth county. Rumson and Fair Haven have great schools and are close to the Seastreak ferry. 35 minutes to wall st and 50 minutes to east 34th st.....best commute from any suburban area in NJ to NYC hands down. However, conevenience comes with a price...the ferry is $600/mo.

Last edited by joer; 05-04-2007 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 03:46 PM

5 posts, read 27,715 times
I lived in Madison up to a two months ago. Commute to NYC was about 50 minutes on the train. It was a mear 5 minute walk from my apartment to the train station. If you can find a reasonable cost place to live, I wholly recommend Madison. Great schools, reasonable public transportation, nicely located to shopping venues, low crime rate.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,031 times
Maplewood is a very good place to live. It has an excellent school system.
Multicultural and you can take the midtown express train and be in penn station in 25 min.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:57 AM

176 posts, read 278,195 times
There`s also Mahwah but that might be too far for you.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:09 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Default NJ Trains Morristown

You can take a train from Basking Ridge to NYC, with transfer at Morristown or Newark Penn Station.

Other towns you might consider Whippany (aka Hanover); Parsippany. You can take a bus into NYC and park you car free at departure point.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,785,750 times
I am in South Amboy, Coomute to NYC is 25minutes at the most.
LilRui, i sent you a PM in regards of houses.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:41 AM

56 posts, read 290,678 times
Default Towns with easy commute to NYC

There are tons of towns in NJ that are relatively close to NYC. I know Essex County well as I'm a NY translplant...it's why many of us move here. It depends also on the general atmosphere, pulse of a town that you seek. If you want a more suburban type environment, Bergen County is a bit more like that. Essex is somewhat more young, hip...at l least in towns like Montclair, Glen Ridge, Verona, Bloomfield, Nutley, West Orange where alot of folks want to live. In Montclair, Glen Ridge, Bloomfield, there's the midtown direct train to Penn...total is approx. 30 minutes. The other towns are a short drive to train or have jitneys to the train and there's also private (Decamp) and public (NJTransit) bus service. Montclair is a hub for alot of towns because it has more amenities; restaurants, art, theatre, music. Of course, prices, taxes are not always pretty and that's why the neighboring towns including Bloomfield, Verona, West Orange get alot of attention...house prices and taxes are this much less and still close to the fun stuff! If you're interested in seeing what the market is like, let me know, I'm happy to forward listings.
Elaine
[mod cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-07-2007 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: See TOS, no advertising, especially by realtors.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 9,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
Elizabeth is 30 mins from NYC via NJT Train to Penn Station.. or 30 mins using NJT Bus to Port Authority.. or in the near future the NYC Ferry will be up.. it should take about 30 mins to Wall St area..
yesterday, i looked at Elizabeth. I got a strange feeling about it(not very safe). Has anyone lived there near the train station area?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 14,325 times
Smile Homes in NJ

It all comes down to price. How many bedrooms and baths do you want. Side vs main st. What are your requirements that you are looking for. Commuting into NYC is easy, it all comes down to how much do you want to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey