Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:28 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDaSack View Post
Damn no need to get hyped, i want talking to you..i think the smell of elizabeth got to u!
I already discussed that there was a high Portugese population and the OP didnt look like he/she minded..
And i was talkin about the "safe" being.. ppl on here are would make the guy/girl think (sorry op i ont know ur gender at the moment) its not safe.. And trust me, i heard some ridiculous places that are considered "dangerous" to some of the people on here.

And Hackensack... is more mixed culturally then Elizabeth, just a little bit.. Hackensack is known for it being one of the most diverse place in the country.. it may be in Bergen county but in Hackensack i would consider it Hackensack County because it's so much different then the rest of Bergen.
I'm male, 25 yrs. old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 03:59 PM

217 posts, read 1,147,348 times
^^Alright my bad, i didnt c what gender before i commented

Old 09-26-2008, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,850 times
I'm from Toronto and recently had the pleasure of visiting Newark.

Ironbound was easily the most interesting place in Newark, most of NJ in fact. NJ like most of the U.S. I find is typically suburban.

First, the place is vibrant. I didn't see a single vacancy sign among the businesses. The restaurants were packed full of business people during lunch, and I saw restaurants filled to the rafters on a Friday and Saturday night.

Where else in Jersey can you find a home with easy access to transportation, that is within walking distance to churches, schools and even the main business hub of the city?

Oh, and the Portugese/Brazilian people are some of the most accomodating I've seen. They blend in well into NJ, and are very welcoming to all.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:42 PM

316 posts, read 1,249,045 times
Default Ferry st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Where is the Ironbound section of Newark? I'm trying to see where it is on a map, so for example from that street to that street and this street to this street. Also is it really that much better than the rest of Newark? Are there areas that are worse than others in the section, and some that are better?
here are a few streets in Ironbound sections of newark . Ferry st, walnut
if newark is where you choose to be then ironbound is the best.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Wow. I would have expected better of someone who got so inflamed over immigration and diversity.

A) Its the best part of Newark, imho.
B) It smells like city, not "smelly pork".
C) I'm not Portuguese, neither is my brother (for obvious reasons). Our Irish whiteness has no problems there whatsoever. Hell, we go out to dinner at various places for birthdays and such, there is incredible food. On of my ex's parents own a smaller restaurant I want to visit, see how they are doing.

In other words, thats a boatload of crap right there in one sentence.
Allrighty CuCullin, does your Newark association encompass Napoleon Street ?
Reply not immediate, Sligogirl, as in Sligo, Southern Ireland.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:09 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judithexit View Post
here are a few streets in Ironbound sections of newark . Ferry st, walnut
if newark is where you choose to be then ironbound is the best.
Ironbound=Portugese (sp?) , THE, only reason to venture into Newark.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sligogirl View Post
Allrighty CuCullin, does your Newark association encompass Napoleon Street ?
Reply not immediate, Sligogirl, as in Sligo, Southern Ireland.
Opposite side of Wilson, over on magazine st.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:26 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
I visited the Ironbound district regularly 2-3 years ago as side trips from NYC; thought it was a great place to spend a few hours with all the Brazilian and Portuguese shops, bakeries and restaurants.

Has it changed much in the past 2 years? One of the posters mentioned that, with the changing fortunes of the US and Brazilian economies, many of the Brazilians would return to Brazil (weren't most of the Brazilians in Newark from Minas?). The community in the Ironbound area seemed pretty vibrant, but I wanted to check before I scheduled another trip.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:49 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDaSack View Post
What i think is that the ppl who are bashing Ironbound saying its a dirty trashy Portuguese area are afraid of urban areas and minorities.

Truth be told.. theres a lot of *ussy's on this site they are afraid of many towns with a minority rate higher then 20%. Thats why you cant rely on this site so much on that subject. I mean ppl are afraid of my home town Hackensack??? be very afraid
Amen!
I've seen people call Teaneck "dangerous" on this site. TEANECK!
We all must be afraid of middle class black people. And Jews!

Old 11-29-2008, 07:52 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,614 times
It hasn't really changed much. Still the same shops, same people, really no different.

Go as you normally would- definitely worth it for those bakeries and restaurants. I love to go have dinner there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey