Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 07:49 PM

28 posts, read 181,547 times

Advertisements

Hi- We just started looking for a home in Bergen County after looking in lower Westchester for some time. We are looking for a townhome or house- at least 3 bedrooms, preferably at least 2000 square feet in a nice town with great schools. My husband commutes to wall Street, but drives, so train not major issue. Looking to stay under 550k- is this possible in a good town- where no matter where you live you are zoned for great schools- not just in certain neighborhoods??? A few weeks ago we started looking in Mahwah and Wyckoff. Can't seem to find out any info on Mahwah- nice place to raise a family? or are we better off searching for something small in Glen Rock/Ridgewood??? Maybe Hillsdale???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Mahwah is a nice place overall. It is pretty big though. Some sections are nicer than others and some are a little sketchy (not bad, but sketchy.) But the large size of the town does not lend itself to a sense of "community." They have an awful lot of townhome developments though - so you may be able to get a good bang for your buck there in this economy. Some of Mahwah (again, it's big) is centrally located to get on highways quickly,etc. Overall, a nice towns. Schools are well rated.

I think Wyckoff will get you more of a sense of community and slightly better schools. You also get a little more of the "snob" factor and the commute off of 208 is not always a pleasureable one. But it's a lovely town.

When you say something "small" in Glen Rock, Ridgewood, and Hillsdale, do you mean townhome or house? There are not many townhomes in those towns, the "small" home you get will be very small, even in this market.

Keep TAXES in mind. Traditionally Mahwah had reasonable taxes, you may want to check out what you would be looking at. Taxes in some of the other towns you've mentioned are astronomical.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
^there is no section of Mahwah I would call "sketchy" except for Stag Hill which account for maybe 2% of the towns population

Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 PM

109 posts, read 345,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
^there is no section of Mahwah I would call "sketchy" except for Stag Hill which account for maybe 2% of the towns population
What's sketchy about Stag Hill? Just curious

Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proboscis View Post
What's sketchy about Stag Hill? Just curious
Section 8 housing towards the bottom, Jackson-whites live there, people leave broken down cars in their front lawn, some houses arent so well maintained, etc.

I wouldn't say "sketchy" is the right word, but I would figure someone coming from Westchester and spending 600 k isnt gonna want to live there.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Oakland may be another option as well.. but its just a little bit further out. With Mahwah you can find townhouse in your range. There is a complex up on a hill above Franklin Turnpike (to the east of F.T. There is always society hill. I worked in Mahwah for many years and I know it well. Taxes are lower than Saddle River, etc. You should be able to find something at that price range and if he wants to train it to Wall Street the train station in Ramsey has spots available in the garage. Did you also look at my favorite town in Rockland -- Nyack?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 AM

Stag Hill is definitely among them. There are some neighborhoods right off of 17 that are not ideal. I'm not saying they are bad, I'm saying they are not the greatest. We looked at a few houses there and we were surprised to see graffiti and not the greatest element. It is not a huge section by any means, a few blocks, but again, not what I think the OP will be looking for.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 PM

28 posts, read 181,547 times
Thanks everyone for the info. I guess I don't read much about Mahwah on this forum- seems like Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Hillsdale are always recommended. I would like a place with a sense of community-so maybe Mahwah isn't the place for us??? I do see lots of listings in above areas for homes under 600k- I guess I was wondering if we are better off buying a small home in a "better" town or a newer larger townhome in someplace like Mahwah. Any other towns we should be considering?? I also keep reading that Wyckoff is "snobby" and we did see a possible house there. Hard- since we don't know that much about the various towns. Thanks again for any insight!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:52 PM

Mahwah is very nice...but like I said, it's big and sprawling, so there is not a real sense of community there. Now, that said, I'm sure there could be a sense of community in some of the developments, I really can't say, but it is a possibility.

Ridgewood and Hillsdale are very nice towns, as is Glen Rock. Wyckoff can be snobby, but it is not dreadful either. It's also a very lovely town. Woodcliff Lake is also nice. As is Ramsey.... Oakland is very nice too. I think someone mentioned that.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:33 PM

338 posts, read 613,290 times
Rio Vista in Mahwah is the most luxury area. There are around 300 houses + townhouses in that nice area but no house cost below $1 million.
Otherwise Mahwah has great schools.

There are also cheaper and nice towns in south Bergen County, such as Paramus, Oradell, River Edge etc. which has top schools, closer to NYC, close to everything. North Bergen County is far away from everything. My sister have lived in Rio Vista, Mahwah for 10 years. She says that she wished the moved to South Bergen County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey