Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:09 PM

169 posts, read 701,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
when talking to people not from the NYC metro or south jersey, or upstate, I say New York
Same here but only when out of state... say I'm visiting California or something like that.

Afterall I work in NYC and live like 10 miles outside of it. To me that's NYC....

People who live in Los Angeles, claim it, and that county is HUGE....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 03:33 PM

217 posts, read 1,143,395 times
The N word... wow, i dont care or notice.. but i call it jersey.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:44 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,324,569 times
It depends on whom I'm talking to. Residents and former residents--I'll say Jersey; People who've never lived there then I say NEW Jersey. No matter where I live or how long I've been gone I'm ALWAYS from Jersey and Jersey will ALWAYS be home to me.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,350 times
99% of the time, it's just Jersey.

And I know what you mean...I haven't lived there for 11 years now, and it's still and will always be home!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:47 AM

9,328 posts, read 20,666,117 times
I always have to use "New York" now, just to get within a rough approximation geographically to let the person I am talking to know where I was from. Then I follow this sentence up with something in the order of "actually, I'm from New Jersey". Some will acknowledge that it's one of the 50 states, while some others have no idea. By the way, I am not kidding. The geographical ignorance in this country is staggering.

When I lived in New Jersey, the words "North Jersey" or "South Jersey" were frequently brought into the equation. When I lived in North Jersey, South Jersey was used to denote anything south of the Driscoll Bridge. When I lived in South Jersey, North Jersey was used to denote anything north of Great Adventure. I guess that must leave many in Monmouth County with a complex.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I always have to use "New York" now, just to get within a rough approximation geographically to let the person I am talking to know where I was from. Then I follow this sentence up with something in the order of "actually, I'm from New Jersey". Some will acknowledge that it's one of the 50 states, while some others have no idea. By the way, I am not kidding. The geographical ignorance in this country is staggering.

When I lived in New Jersey, the words "North Jersey" or "South Jersey" were frequently brought into the equation. When I lived in North Jersey, South Jersey was used to denote anything south of the Driscoll Bridge. When I lived in South Jersey, North Jersey was used to denote anything north of Great Adventure. I guess that must leave many in Monmouth County with a complex.
I lived in Monmouth County for a number of years and we considered ourselfs in Central Jersey. North Jersey didn't want us and neither did South Jersey. Since I lived on the coast, I found it easier to tell people I lived down the Shore. That everyone understood.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 AM

622 posts, read 3,106,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Hey, I used to do something similar to this. When narrowing down my location in NJ, I would say North Jersey ... "Fort Lee" instead of "Cliffside Park" which is one town over. People generally would know Fort Lee before Cliffside, then I would explain that I was one town over. Some people didn't even know Fort Lee either. Hmmm, wonder why they asked "where in NJ?"

Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
Hey, I used to do something similar to this. When narrowing down my location in NJ, I would say North Jersey ... "Fort Lee" instead of "Cliffside Park" which is one town over. People generally would know Fort Lee before Cliffside, then I would explain that I was one town over. Some people didn't even know Fort Lee either. Hmmm, wonder why they asked "where in NJ?"
For the same reason they ask "What exit?".

Old 10-03-2008, 08:50 AM

392 posts, read 1,535,214 times
honestly... who cares? Actually... most people says "I'm from North Jersey" or "South Jersey". You don't expect the "New" ---- it might even sound odd if someone said "I'm from South New Jersey"?

Old 10-03-2008, 09:16 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,457,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznin View Post
Same here but only when out of state... say I'm visiting California or something like that.

Afterall I work in NYC and live like 10 miles outside of it. To me that's NYC....

People who live in Los Angeles, claim it, and that county is HUGE....
i recall being at a party in LA (like 10 yrs ago) and told a person that i was from New Jersey. people didn't seem have great words to say about it. one girl in a leopard skin cowboy hat told me that she had to visit a cousin in "southern New Jersey" and hated the place lol. my other friend said that i should have just said that i was from NY. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey