Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:33 AM

217 posts, read 1,147,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOBAL LIVE View Post
Newark? Jersey City? The sixth borough? You got to be freaking kidding me. None of these two cities have a popullation of at least one million.None of these cities have a economic and finacial status like New York or Philly. No cultural,no rich history,no 24hr night life none of that. Just two run down cities in between New York and Philly, mooching off the jobs and buisness. And now I hear north jersey calling themselves the sixth borough,Please,just stop!! If Jersey is to be called something it should be called the "in between state". "In between New York and Philly".
JC has night life.. they both have really rich history too... You obviouslly don't know, Newark has a really deep history.. JC has the statue of liberty as much as you wanna say NYC does, but its closer to JC and inside the Jersey Border.

It might not be a 6th borough or anything, but they aren't two worthless run-down cities.

New Jersey is one of the most unique states, it has a lot to offer here..

And BTW no1 said JC and NK were boroughs... Brooklyn, Queens, And The Bronx are all as big as like Bergen County.. thats why there population is 1mill or more.. bergen County has a population over 900Thousand.. Bergen, Hudson, Passaic, and Essex county are probably close to the size of NYC if put together and that populaton would be about 2.8 million together.. so maybe thats why it may be called "the sixth borough"

Last edited by FromDaSack; 09-13-2008 at 08:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 09:07 AM

46 posts, read 111,421 times
um philly is spelled with to LL's not one,and I'am reffering to two cities within the state not the state itself

Old 09-13-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDaSack View Post
JC has night life.. they both have really rich history too... You obviouslly don't know, Newark has a really deep history.. JC has the statue of liberty as much as you wanna say NYC does, but its closer to JC and inside the Jersey Border.

It might not be a 6th borough or anything, but they aren't two worthless run-down cities.

New Jersey is one of the most unique states, it has a lot to offer here..

And BTW no1 said JC and NK were boroughs... Brooklyn, Queens, And The Bronx are all as big as like Bergen County.. thats why there population is 1mill or more.. bergen County has a population over 900Thousand.. Bergen, Hudson, Passaic, and Essex county are probably close to the size of NYC if put together and that populaton would be about 2.8 million together.. so maybe thats why it may be called "the sixth borough"
HUmm you just can't put counties together and make them one big county of about 2.8million they are seperated by boundry

Old 09-13-2008, 09:14 AM

And your right I obviouslly don't know and I don't care to know because in Jersey theres nothing really going on to know about.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:18 AM

um....Phillly is spelled with LL's not one, and I'am reffering to two cities within the state itself.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:04 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Just to clarify, I'd be interested in adjacent areas where are car is not needed initially. In time I might realize a desire to move further out into the burbs but for the first year or two I'm thinking of being closer in. Thus I'm wanting to compare Weehawken, etc. vs. Greenpoint, etc.
How much are you looking to spend in rent. Perhaps that may be the deciding factor. You won't need a car in downtown Jersey City as the path train goes there and its a 24 hour train service. Carless friends of mine from Manhattan bought a condo there and they are still carless and doing fine. They will rent a car one day a month and do all their shopping in NJ.. but thats what they did when they lived in Manhattan!

Washington Square park is an easy walk from the Christopher Street PATH station. It will be easier to get there from JC than Brooklyn or Queens.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:09 AM

217 posts, read 1,147,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOBAL LIVE View Post
And your right I obviouslly don't know and I don't care to know because in Jersey theres nothing really going on to know about.
there u proved my point.. you dont know shi* to talk shi*.
and im just sayin, its because NYC's land mass.. if NYC was say as big as Newark it wouldnt be much more of a difference.. so i was doin a chunk of North Jersey abou the same size of NYC and thats what u get.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:11 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
as far as prices and clothing tax, NJ would be less expensive. but you will need a car, whereas if you lived anywhere in NY bouroughs, you could rely on public transportation.
I shop in both states and compare prices: NY has a cap on clothing taxes, and is free below $115, food prices are exactly the same between the two states.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:08 PM

don't get mad at me cuz jersey is the way it is.. And I talk shi* because the shi* is the truth. Jersey city and Newark to the North and run down Camden and Trenton to the south, two free loading cities.. Now north Jersey trying to be all big and shi* with all this sixth borough bull crapp.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:48 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,544 times
Hi Global Live.

Thanks for jacking my thread. We're not talking about Philly, so please start your own post. We're here to talk about options on where to live if one works, from time to time, in lower NYC. From what I gather as an outsider who visits from time to time and can look at a map, it seems that NJ and some other areas as just as close (if not closer than the "upper" areas).

And thanks to Minibrings and others for suggestive advice. I have a car now but can do without one for a couple of years until I figure out my needs. It's expensive enough to own here, where we have no issues with parking. We don't even have meters or street restrictions. Regardless, not having a car will save $400-500 month I'm guessing this is money that can go into moving, furnishing a place and enjoying the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey