U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:53 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,002,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proboscis View Post
I agree with what you're saying but I was just talking about the $350K-$400K range, the so-called "starter homes".
Oh, I find it laughable too. I remember in the end of 1999 my friend bought a smaller, but very nice 3 br/2 ba colonial on a lovely street in Verona for $280k. I thought she was out of her MIND. This house was a gem and in "move in" condition. Well, in 2002 when I was buying I would have given my eye teeth for that. I got a cute but tiny little home (3 Br, 1 bath) that was in SUCH godawful condition that when we closed I was too grossed out to stay in it. We continued renting for 2 months while we renovated. We put about $90k into renovations after paying just shy of $300k for the home. These were homes taht in 1998 were selling for $190 in good condition. REDICULOUS> Everyone told us "Well, it's a nice starter home." I said "At this rate, it's an ender home." lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 01:57 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,995,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Of course age has something to do with it. If JM's Mom is in her 70s a stable investment is the way to go at this point. I don't think risky investments are good for older folks.
She never owned stock though, and always went with CD's (this is just gleaning from JM's post), content with a few percent.

I couldn't do that. Even in my 70's.... then again I'm a control freak, and I even handle the redistribution of my 401k money monthly

Old 09-17-2008, 02:03 PM

12,284 posts, read 33,044,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
She never owned stock though, and always went with CD's (this is just gleaning from JM's post), content with a few percent.

I couldn't do that. Even in my 70's.... then again I'm a control freak, and I even handle the redistribution of my 401k money monthly
depression era babies have/had a very different outlook on money.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,002,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
depression era babies have/had a very different outlook on money.
With good reason I guess...

Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 PM

646 posts, read 2,503,646 times
Folks we are already there and going down!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:11 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,424,691 times
Quote:
On the contrary, I complain about unbridled capitalism ALL the time. I think it is evil!
You and me both

Old 09-17-2008, 04:32 PM

7,577 posts, read 21,014,950 times
Looks like Wamu is up for sale..anyone interested? 180 billion in deposits... the math doesn't add up! Now the press is putting the fear of FDIC not be able to cover all of our monies... I'm sure the banks will be crowded tomorrow with people withdrawing their money! I have an ING account... I wonder how safe that is??? Back to the "First National Bank of Mattress!"

Old 09-17-2008, 08:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 11,229,556 times
Who needs money when we have the internet to satisfy our needs. Lets have a meeting at the George Washington Bridge at 5PM tomorrow and we can all jump off together. Give me a tent in Colorado a fishing pole and some basic supplies and I'll be more happy than the rat race that we are stuck in.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:00 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,855,063 times
Quote:
That has to do with many factors, in Northern NJ at least, it has a lot to do with folks who work and lived in Manhattan making beaucoup bucks moving to NJ. They are used to paying 1.2 mil for a tiny condo and now they are getting a McMansion and not having to fork out for private school in the city - so they think $700k is a steal.
Although the majority of people who work in Manhattan haven't been able to buy a place in Manhattan for a long time now . . . and unless they've been there forever so that rent control is working in their favor, the majority of people who work in Manhattan can't afford to rent there, either. With the housing market the way it is now, most of them can also barely afford to live nearby in Jersey and commute. They're having to go further out and balance more reasonable housing costs with ridiculous commuting costs (and time).

There are folks who work in Manhattan who make enough money to live there, obviously (aside from rent control that is), but it's not as if most jobs you can get in Manhattan are jobs paying 6-figure salaries. Jobs paying around 50-75k are much more common, and there are far too many jobs paying far less than that.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 AM

7,577 posts, read 21,014,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Who needs money when we have the internet to satisfy our needs. Lets have a meeting at the George Washington Bridge at 5PM tomorrow and we can all jump off together. Give me a tent in Colorado a fishing pole and some basic supplies and I'll be more happy than the rat race that we are stuck in.
Can't do it JM! would mess up my Jersey Hairdo!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey