Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:41 AM

505 posts, read 1,757,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Looks like Wamu is up for sale..anyone interested? 180 billion in deposits... the math doesn't add up! Now the press is putting the fear of FDIC not be able to cover all of our monies... I'm sure the banks will be crowded tomorrow with people withdrawing their money! I have an ING account... I wonder how safe that is??? Back to the "First National Bank of Mattress!"
Completely baseless, sesnationalist journalism at its finest.

UPDATE 1-FDIC insurance fund can cover high losses -- Bair | Markets | Markets News | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 07:51 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,411,872 times
:::HEADLINES NEWSFLASH:::

It's gotten so bad that rumor has it, Santa is filing for chapter 11 since not even God can secure some loans on this market. Santa even tried the devil for a bridge loan but the devil is in talks w/ God about a possible merger. Meanwhile the toothfairy is in talk w/ Santa about a possible buyout/takeover.

In the meantime, local loan shark Vinny Bagadonuts is standing by awaiting everyone to turn to him.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,554,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post

It's gotten so bad that rumor has it, Santa is filing for chapter 11 since not even God can secure some loans on this market. Santa even tried the devil for a bridge loan but the devil is in talks w/ God about a possible merger. Meanwhile the toothfairy is in talk w/ Santa about a possible buyout/takeover.

In the meantime, local loan shark Vinny Bagadonuts is standing by awaiting everyone to turn to him.
LMAO!!! I don't doubt it's true. I saw the Easter Bunny down at the local pub..and man was he hammered! Crying that the price of eggs this year is going to put him out of business. Said they are coming out with a synthetic substitute and another bunny has already cornered the market in NJ.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:05 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,554,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
Completely baseless, sesnationalist journalism at its finest.

UPDATE 1-FDIC insurance fund can cover high losses -- Bair | Markets | Markets News | Reuters
AGREED! I was out and about yesterday and I couldn't help but notice how busy all the stores and restaurants were. And at least 2 dozen planes flew over my house last night in a matter of 5 mins. What recession?????????

Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,445,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
It's really scary out there financially - so what do you think?

I'm even worried about FDIC. SO many banks are just tettering on disaster, and if too many fail, can the US even live up to FDIC?

This is NOT my area of expertise, I'd like to see what everyone else thinks.

It is like taking a long car trip with your parents, all you can do is ask dad every five minutes (ARE WE THERE YET)

Having been on Wall St over 25 years
I would not worry about the FDIC (hey, it is the goverment, if they run out of money they just print some MORE)

I would worry about the people that worked for those firms for a long time and now have no job/ no pension/ and whatever savings they have will be gone in a flash...

The sad thing is the people that ran those companys will walk away with a nice piece of change...Here is my take on what happens

Merrill CEO talking to Bank of america..............Hey look what i did for my company

CEO of bank of america answers........Very nice , we will take it from here, here is a few million now just go away.........

What is even worse is that the same CEO will be back on Wall st with another firm in no time at all , while the rest of those people that lost their jobs will do any work they can get just to pay the mortgage

5,816 posts, read 12,580,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post

I just seen Vinny B filling Santas Bags with money. Now santa can feed his deer and bring the kids some Made in China poison tainted toys for Christmas. How many points do you think Vinnie gets for his loan that is backed 100% by the US Mafia.

13,372 posts, read 28,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Who needs money when we have the internet to satisfy our needs. Lets have a meeting at the George Washington Bridge at 5PM tomorrow and we can all jump off together. Give me a tent in Colorado a fishing pole and some basic supplies and I'll be more happy than the rat race that we are stuck in.
Fly fishing???

Old 09-18-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
LMAO!!! I don't doubt it's true. I saw the Easter Bunny down at the local pub..and man was he hammered! Crying that the price of eggs this year is going to put him out of business. Said they are coming out with a synthetic substitute and another bunny has already cornered the market in NJ.
:::Another newsflash:::
Easter Bunny caught for DWI coming out of pub517. Officer Billy Bob from Frelingfarfenuggen said he noticed the Easter bunny driving erracticly and pulled him over. Upon inspecting the vehicle, the officer found 2 kilos of cocaine, 2 AK-47. When questioned the Easter Bunny responded "Desperate times require desperate measures, the price of oil has skyrocketed and I cannot longer afford to import the cocoa beans to make the chocolates, and since I couldn't get financing, the colombian cartel seemed like a good idea to merge w/"

Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I just seen Vinny B filling Santas Bags with money. Now santa can feed his deer and bring the kids some Made in China poison tainted toys for Christmas. How many points do you think Vinnie gets for his loan that is backed 100% by the US Mafia.

Update!!!!

Santa seen in a cast and using crushes! Vinny B says "I have no comment"

Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,735,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
It is like taking a long car trip with your parents, all you can do is ask dad every five minutes (ARE WE THERE YET)

Having been on Wall St over 25 years
I would not worry about the FDIC (hey, it is the goverment, if they run out of money they just print some MORE)

I would worry about the people that worked for those firms for a long time and now have no job/ no pension/ and whatever savings they have will be gone in a flash...

The sad thing is the people that ran those companys will walk away with a nice piece of change...Here is my take on what happens

Merrill CEO talking to Bank of america..............Hey look what i did for my company

CEO of bank of america answers........Very nice , we will take it from here, here is a few million now just go away.........

What is even worse is that the same CEO will be back on Wall st with another firm in no time at all , while the rest of those people that lost their jobs will do any work they can get just to pay the mortgage
So, seriously, having been on Wall St for that long, you've seen the tides change.
How bad is it now? And no, I'm not looking for insider trading info. So, Feds, please no knocking on my door.
Just want an opinion of the current conditions and an honest one, not an overly paranoid one, unless there is reason to be paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey