U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 PM

468 posts, read 503,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I'm still curious to know how NJ will weather this meltdown. Lots of commuters are tied to these firms, and I bet a lot of them will have to move away to find work.
You mean move out of the country like most companies have been doing for the past 7 years?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM

468 posts, read 503,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
I would say deep painful correction. We Americans need to give up part of the wealth we gathered in last 7/8 yrs.
Who's we white man?
Haven't we given up enough to the war and to other things the fed has dropped the ball with?
Besides the wealth is held by fewer now,let people like Buffet and Gates and Trump and Branson spread the wealth around a bit.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:32 PM

364 posts, read 764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
Who's we white man?
Haven't we given up enough to the war and to other things the fed has dropped the ball with?
Besides the wealth is held by fewer now,let people like Buffet and Gates and Trump and Branson spread the wealth around a bit.
We means people who pay tax on their $10 income, not on their $10B income. We take the pain that those big shots inject into the society.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:09 PM

217 posts, read 1,060,956 times
The stocks plumeted recently.. because if that hurricane.. now i dont know squat about it but i know it's a big deal to a lot of ppl who put a lot of money on a lot of stocks.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:13 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,003,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I can tell you that the bars were eerily quiet this past weekend here.
College just started up again. This happens every year :P

Old 09-15-2008, 03:29 PM

526 posts, read 1,292,456 times
I like that you are all talking about it and seeing the worst, as with all other economic downturns and financial market problems, it is always darkest before the dawn. When everyone is at the peek of pessimism and running from the markets, be they Stock Markets, Bond Markets, Real Estate Markets, Currency Markets ... that is the time when you reach a bottom, and things start to turn.

Have we reached the darkest point in this mess with Fanny, Freddy, Lehman, Merrill, and who knows who else?? I could not say, I dare say nobody really could until that time has passes and the best buying opportunity has passed.

Yes this will effect New Jersey, to what extent, who knows, I will say one thing for sure you will not see a spike in foreclosures for at least 6 months or longer if you ever see it. Why, it just takes that long once people stop paying their mortgages. One things is for sure, it likly will not be as happy of a holiday season this year in Hoboken, Jersey City, and Manhattan.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 PM

6,959 posts, read 7,493,305 times
I think those "big bonuses" that the Wall Street crowd are used to at Christmas will be more like a $10 Off coupon for Outback Steakhouse!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:46 PM

217 posts, read 1,060,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I think those "big bonuses" that the Wall Street crowd are used to at Christmas will be more like a $10 Off coupon for Outback Steakhouse!
i wouldn't mind.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:50 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,267,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
I like that you are all talking about it and seeing the worst, as with all other economic downturns and financial market problems, it is always darkest before the dawn. When everyone is at the peek of pessimism and running from the markets, be they Stock Markets, Bond Markets, Real Estate Markets, Currency Markets ... that is the time when you reach a bottom, and things start to turn.

Have we reached the darkest point in this mess with Fanny, Freddy, Lehman, Merrill, and who knows who else?? I could not say, I dare say nobody really could until that time has passes and the best buying opportunity has passed.

Yes this will effect New Jersey, to what extent, who knows, I will say one thing for sure you will not see a spike in foreclosures for at least 6 months or longer if you ever see it. Why, it just takes that long once people stop paying their mortgages. One things is for sure, it likly will not be as happy of a holiday season this year in Hoboken, Jersey City, and Manhattan.
Add a good number of inhabitants in Bergen, Union, Morris, Essex, Monmouth, Nassau, Richmond, Queens, Kings, Suffolk, Passaic, Hunterdon, Sussex, Warren, Somerset, Middlesex, Rockland, Westchester, and everywhere else.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:51 PM

6,959 posts, read 7,493,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDaSack View Post
i wouldn't mind.
Me neither!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey