Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 02:49 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,733,117 times

Advertisements

My mother in law has been living with us for a while now and it dawned on me recently that she has no health insurance since leaving her job over a year ago. Im an idiot sometimes how things can be staring me in the face and I still dont see them but I digress...

She is 54 (so no Medicaid/Medicare i dont think), technically married but her husband is currently living in another country, she has no income what-so-ever since moving in with us, our ins (through work) will not cover her because they only cover spouses and children..period, they are willing to write her an individual policy but everyone we've asked has given us quotes of about 5-600/month.

Anyone have any ideas? Know any ways around MediCare/caide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 02:54 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,863,346 times
Now you know the real problem with healthcare in this country.

You said her husband is in another country. Is she a citizen? If not, does she have a green card? Because that's another problem.

You can try to purchase health insurance, but it's VERY expensive.

For Medicare, you have to be 65 and for Medicaid you have to be impoverished (and provide the proof thereof).

Old 09-16-2008, 03:09 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,921,299 times
Yep, that's it in a nutshell.

$500-600 is actually the cheapest quotes I've ever heard of for individual policies. Some states have what is called "mini-meds" or "accident and illness" plans. But they are not offered in NJ to individuals right now. This may change soon and if it does I will post here to let you know.

The only other option is charity care if she were seriously ill, but if she needed to see a doctor or basic services, you'll be paying out of pocket. For colds and simple things some CVS pharmacies now offer "Minute Clinics" where you can see a medical assistant, usually for a cheaper cost than a visit to the doctor.

I wish I had better advise for you - but that's pretty much all there is right now.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 PM

To answer some of your statements.

-The real problem with healthcare in this country is that the INS companies have made it Soooooo expensive to get quality healthcare. (malpractice ins included in that statement) THAT is the problem. National healthcare is NOT a solution. But thats a MUCH different topic. The topic here is that I need to find healthcare for my Mother In Law.

-Yes she is a citizen.

-As stated in my first post, this is what we are trying to do

-She is impovershed in the sense she has no money, she makes no money, she has no savings or investments or anything in anyway that could even remotely be called income. She lives with us and we claim her as a dependant but 5-600/month is not doable without MAJOR reconstruction to our budget/selling our house.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Is she disabled? Is she able to work, even Part-Time?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 PM

When her husband left, she couldnt afford their rent on her own and we needed help desperatly with the baby so she quit her job and moved in with us. In exchange for paying her bills and providing for her she takes care of my son while we are at work. He gets to hang with grandma, we know hes more than well taken care of, everyone is happy except that she has no health ins. :-(

Old 09-16-2008, 04:03 PM

The only thing I can suggest is this. Some retail stores and fast food restaurants DO offer the "mini-meds" I mentioned above for their employees... they are not full coverage, but they are something. Sometimes you can get in on them even working just one shift per week. Typically, they cost about $8-10 per week. It's just a thought.

If I can think of anything else I will let you know. Did you get all quotes through an agent or was it through another source?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:09 PM

23,809 posts, read 33,297,760 times
My suggestion is that maybe she should look at doing some sort of job other then babysitting. In the end it might be cheaper to pay a sitter if she can find part time work at a local supermarket where they will give her insurance with part time work.

Will her husband be coming back at some point?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:26 PM

He still keeps in touch but I doubt hes comming back for anything more than a visit. He retired and left.

We have been thinking about day care for my son now that hes 18 months but we are still looking at 5-600 month.

The quotes we were given were from my wifes and my company's health ins. I have calls and emails out to others but most of them havent gotten back to me yet. 2 have said they wont talk money at all until she gets a physical and we send them the results. Grrr

I guess Im stuck. No loopholes in Medicare/caid anyone knows about?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,013,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
He still keeps in touch but I doubt hes comming back for anything more than a visit. He retired and left.

We have been thinking about day care for my son now that hes 18 months but we are still looking at 5-600 month.

The quotes we were given were from my wifes and my company's health ins. I have calls and emails out to others but most of them havent gotten back to me yet. 2 have said they wont talk money at all until she gets a physical and we send them the results. Grrr

I guess Im stuck. No loopholes in Medicare/caid anyone knows about?

Rob- The Medicaid/Medicare Programs are pretty specific and fairly closely monitored. Unfortunately, your MIL falls into a HUGE and well populated chasm.
If she was disabled physically or mentally (OH....wait that's my MIL...sorry) she would be eligible as Medically Needy.

The one fall back you have is Charity Care, it does not apply to routine visits, but will cover emergency visits to certain hospitals and subsequent admissions. Before you take her anywhere, make sure the hospital participates in this funded program. This site should lead you to hospitals near you.
Charity Care - NJ Hospital Care Payment Assistance Program

Charity Care in NJ is on the chopping block with our current administration, so it might not be available for long.
Hope this helps and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey