Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,346,590 times

Advertisements

Go right for RN..It's only a 2 year program! I worked in HR in two different hospitals and LPN's do not make that much! You are better off going right for the RN degree.. LPN jobs are scarce..... Tons of RN jobs!!

Good luck in your decision.

The last hospital I worked for in MA had an RN program for people that wanted to become RN's--work 24 hrs. a week through our hospital, get paid for 40 and get a "C" or better !! throughout the 2 years....and give a 2 year commitment working through the hospital after you graduate!! Not too shabby. I should have done that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,721 times
Thank you all for your comments I was just talking to my daughter in law who is going into the nursing field and she wanted to know what would be a better career start, lpn are straight to RN well I suggested that she just go for the gold, RN! Why half step?

Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 PM

49 posts, read 149,316 times
Definitely RN. You can do a 2 year program at a local community college to get your RN. In NJ, there are very few jobs for LPNs. The problem is that RN programs are becoming more competitive to get into. There is actually talk in NJ about implementing the "BSN in 10" program which means that nurses would need to complete their BSN within 10 years of starting nursing. Your daughter in law can get some experience or get her foot in the door by becoming a patient care tech in a hospital in the mean time. Nursing jobs are a bit scarce right now but will hopefully open up in a couple years when your daughter in law graduates. Hospitals will usually look to their current employees first!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,222 times
My sons girlfriend just (MAY) graduated from Middlesex CC with her RN degree and has recently passed her boards. NOT 1 PERSON IN HER CLASS HAS FOUND A JOB!! If anyone knows who is hiring- please post location - Thanks!

Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,560 times
I believe most of the jobs are in SNFs. Many are short-staffed but hire mostly LPNs. If a new grad RN gets hired, most likely that person is going to be thrown in as a shift supervisor, despite how new and inexperienced he/she is.

She may not be able to find a job because she's probably looking only into hospitals for new grad experience/ exposure.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
I am wondering if i should be an rn or lpn.....have all core requirements to become an rn......need 1 science class.......lpn: Should i become an lpn through a 1 year program and then do the alternative route.......help me out with advice!
yes definitely, do LPN/LVN and then crossover program to RN.
here it saves lots of time.
42 units LVN then crossover to RN 30 units. all jr college low cost VE

Old 07-01-2015, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 741 times
I am a Lpn in the state of New Jersey
I have a good job they pay well, I want my RN so I am taking classes for pre-req. but don't listen to ppl who think they know all, there are jobs out there for licensed PN's. I make more then $30. Hr. Regardless PN or RN u need experience that little dirty word. But do what makes u happy and you will need to devote your time 100% in school.
Good luck

Old 07-01-2015, 03:47 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Go for the RN!

Prejudice toward LPNs........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey