Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:40 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,986 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if i should be an rn or lpn.....have all core requirements to become an rn......need 1 science class.......lpn: Should i become an lpn through a 1 year program and then do the alternative route.......help me out with advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:57 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times
I'm going through the same exact decision now!!! I don't have any pre-requisites though and I'm told it's a long wait to get into RN school/college, so I was thinking of going for LPN first to build the experience and get my foot in the door, or a surgical technician to get my foot in the door also (in a hospital environment) and then continue my education to RN. I'm totally confused though lol!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM

54 posts, read 181,226 times
From what I understand (not in the field at all mind you), LPN is one of the top five non-BA level jobs. You could graduate, and get a great paying job, which would enable you to live a little better, and you could still go for RN right after that (and probably be accepted a little faster with your education and experience). I'm sure you don't have to start from scratch to do RN degree - would be able to apply LPN credits. And then, why stop there - get a few years experience, then go for nurse practictioner! Go for it!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Most people become LPNs first, but as an RN you will get paid more. If you are able to become an RN in a similar amount of time and/or not have to spend too much more on your education to become an RN instead of an LPN, become an RN. But due to costs and time, plus as mentioned wait lists to get into school, most become LPNs first. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:01 PM

151 posts, read 693,516 times
in this economy go for lpn first the rn programs have waiting lists a mile long and the ones that dont are expensive youll get your foot in the door and have the hospital pay your tuition this is what im doing and most lpn programs dont require prereqs good luck

Old 09-17-2008, 02:43 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Just checking into the Jersey forum, although I haven't lived there in many years, and bumped into the familiar "RN credential" discussion. (I got my RN at age 28 from a hospital school in Massachusetts, currently work in MA- grew up in Cherry Hill,NJ).

My advice is always to get the fastest, cheapest RN you can find- that's likely to be a two-year community college associate degree, or a two-year hospital diploma, if any such programs still exist.

A whole lot of places to not hire LPNS. I think the major places LPNs work are long-term care (nsg. homes), the prison/jail system and the military.

If you can find an LPN program that moves smoothly into a second year for an RN, that's great, but otherwise, I think the LPN is a dying breed.

Also, be aware that many many RNs will blather on about how you must get a Bachelor's in Nursing as an entry-level degree, etc. etc. Ignore this. RNs all take the same boards, whether from a hospital school, community college, 4-year college, 3-year master's (with a non-nursing bachelor's) etc. etc.
I always said I'd get a bachelor's if I saw a job I wanted that required it. Here I am, 26 years later, with my diploma RN and eyeing a lucrative retirement in no more than ten years.
A lot can happen in an adult life- family issues, health, finances, exhaustion, you name it. I think it's best to slam on through a cheap, fast RN if possible. Of course, there are waiting lists for these cheap two-year community colleges- a lot of people want in.
Good luck.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:41 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times
I made mention of going to an LPN program if I didn't get accepted to a RN program to a stranger who happened to be a RN and she told me don't bother. The job opportunities open to LPNs these days are slowly drying up. Of course that depends a lot on what area you will be looking for work in. Some cities still utilize them well.

I really want to just go ahead and get my RN, but why sit at home for years waiting to get in a program when you can get a bit of experience and have a paycheck coming in as a LPN? I'm not crossing the idea off my list though, whichever path can get me to my career as an RN is the path I will take.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Go for the RN. I disagree that most become LPNs first, then go on. I am an RN, and I've only worked with a few people over the last 35 yrs who did that. The fact of the matter is, you probably won't go back and get the RN once you are earning money. Many of the LPN courses don't transfer. Those are just two reasons to go for the RN in the first place.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:19 AM

203 posts, read 852,763 times
I agree with Katiana. The LPN is quicker but then once you start working it's very difficult to motivate yourself to go back to school. And if you do if can take a few years to finish the RN program if you go part-time, not to mention the high stress level involved with working and going to school.
I went straight for the RN degree at a community college and don't regret that decision at all.
btw--I just came from working at a hospital in Virginia that was phasing out the LPN's in order to get Magnet status. As an LPN you may end up only being able to find work in a nursing home, etc., as the previous poster stated. I have worked with many LPN's who always had the intention of going back to school but just never got around to it.
Just go for the RN degree.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 11,303 times
sorry i usually dont post anything, but hopefully someone is willing to answer my question. Is there a way to become a RN without paying for it? i heard there are hospitals that pay for you with the commitment of working for them after you finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey