Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 54,665 times

Advertisements

A year ago my budget was around 800K. After a few open house visits in Millburn/Short Hills and Livingston area, I decided not to buy. I was priced out of Short Hills, and Millburn houses within my budget were too small. I like Livingston, but I would really love to have a train station in my town.

I just did a MLS search and found a lot more listings in Millburn and Livingston that are within my reach. Similar houses in Millburn and Livingston were asking 100K less than a year ago.

Millburn vs Livingston is:
1. Commute by train vs bus
2. Smaller older house on smaller lot vs larger newer house on larger lot
...what else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:26 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,616 times
Millburn.

Why would you go to Livingston if you can afford and are willing to pay for what you want in Millburn?

Livingston is not a train line town, never will be, and also has a reputation for being over priced.

Why are you only considering these twon towns?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:35 PM

@JamesBoyer

For the same price, I can get a bigger newer house in Livingston. I know Millburn is supposed to be better than Livingston, but how? Can someone who live in Millburn/Short Hills tell me why your town is better than Livingston?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 PM

Well, in Millburn you are paying for the location. It is considered prime. If you are talking the Short Hills section of Millburn, well even better.

I guess my other question still applies, why Livingston or Millburn? Why not also consider Summit, Chatham's? There is virtually no difference as far as getting to the city. Last I looked Summit's & Chatham's schools were ranked better than Livingston's, and then there is the added benefit of not having to pay taxes in Essex County.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:48 AM

646 posts, read 2,668,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
Well, in Millburn you are paying for the location. It is considered prime. If you are talking the Short Hills section of Millburn, well even better.

I guess my other question still applies, why Livingston or Millburn? Why not also consider Summit, Chatham's? There is virtually no difference as far as getting to the city. Last I looked Summit's & Chatham's schools were ranked better than Livingston's, and then there is the added benefit of not having to pay taxes in Essex County.
Also ,checkout New Providence

Old 09-18-2008, 04:45 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Schools are better in Millburn than Livingston. Millburn is also a more desirable town in terms of "prestige". If you can afford either, Millburn is the obvious winner.

Last edited by Obrero; 09-18-2008 at 05:32 AM..

Old 09-18-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Schools are better in Millburn than Livingston. Millburn is also a more desirable town in terms of "prestige". If you can afford either, Millburn is the obvious winner.
Exactly, the same applies to Summit and Chatham. Both have better schools, according to the lists anyway, both have much more prestige than Livingston.

In many peoples minds, Livingston is just the East Hanover of Essex County.

I had left out New Providence because the OP seemed to be looking for a Prestigious address. New Providence is a very nice town with lots going for it, but it is not a prestigious address.

James Boyer

Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,368 times
I would agree with the posters that are tilting towards Millburn and also suggesting you consider Summit and Chatham. These are all places with nice little downtowns (which Livingston lacks), better schools and a train connection to the city.

Granted, you could probably get a larger house in Livingston, and if that is your top priority then go for it, but it seems as though mass transportation is big for you (you subconsciously listed it #1 )

Although lets face facts, it is hard to go wrong when you get into this strata of neighborhood.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:54 AM

111 posts, read 431,728 times
Hi All,

I've done alot of research regarding these towns because I too want to move to NJ.
It all depends what you want. I have a difffrent set of Critierias.

If you want prestige then move to Short Hills/Millburn. Summit and Chatham are very prestigous as well.

If you want to be on a direct train line than Short Hills/Millburn has 2 train stations. Chatham and Summit each has a train stationl. Summit and Chatham do have a parking wait limits at least I know for a fact Chatham does.
Livingston does not have a train station and I know for a fact the commute (to NYC)is horrible. I have a couple of friends who just moved there and the commute is at least 1 1/2 long with at least 2 - 3 transfers. 2 hrs if it snows.

If school is important all the towns you mentioned are very good, with Millburn/Short Hills being ranked #1 in NJ Monthly Magazine. Personnally rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. If you need spe services Chatham, New Providence, Summit have good services. Millburn is ok, I have heard they have tendency to out district if that child will affect their stats. I also have heard Livingtons spe services are ok, but you may have to fight more here to get services.

If you want a nice downtown Millburn/Short Hills, Summit have nice decent size downtowns, with many shops and restaurants. Summit stores do close earlier. Chathams downtown is nice as well but smaller than the 2 previously mentioned. Livingston from what I hear also has a nice downtown. New providence has a downtown made up of 3-4 blocks at best, pretty much they all go to Summit.

If you want a big house with a nice lot of land, New Providence would be best. Livingston you'll get a big house but the lots are a bit smaller than new providence, depending on where you live. In my opiniion Livingston overpriced, no train station. Millburn the houses are smaller and so are lots. Shorthills the houses are bigger than Millburn and the lots are bigger too. But you pay top dollar. Summit and Chatham are also expensive. From what I hear though Summit has one section is less desirable. For both towns Lot size and house size vary on which neighborrd you live in.

Regarding taxes, from what I hear Essex is the most expensive (Millburn/ShortHills, Livingston) due to Newark, Morris (Chatham) and Union (Summit, New Providence) are better then Essex regarding taxes.

Just my opinion if transportaton, prestige, size of house, down town are your biggest factor and in that order and school, taxes, price of house are not as important I would chose the following in this order.

1) Chatham
2) Millburn/Short Hills
3) Summit

For 800k you get a nice house in this market now but it won't be a mcmansion.
I wouldn't bother with New Providence (NP) and Livington. In my opinion it seems the other towns fit your critiria better. By the way NP and Livington are nice towns and are good choices if you had slighly different critirias.

Also Ridgwood in Bergen County is also another nice town which may fit you list.

Good Luck
I wouldn't

Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
Livingston and Millburn were recommended to me by someone who lived in Summit for 20 years. She said Summit is going downhill, and if she was moving to the area now she would pick Millburn or Livingston. I moved to New Jersey a year ago, still finding my way around. Millburn and Livingston is where I start looking but not nacessory where I end up buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey