Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 06:14 AM

180 posts, read 700,488 times

Advertisements

Where can I find a map or something that defines the various neighborhoods of Plainfield? I've heard people refer to the Sleepy Hollow section, Evergreen, Watchung/Putnam, etc. I am interested in the area near Muhlenburg and the High School athletic fields on Randolph Rd. Thanks!

Last edited by paddy205; 09-18-2008 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 04:03 PM

501 posts, read 1,470,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
Where can I find a map or something that defines the various neighborhoods of Plainfield? I've heard people refer to the Sleepy Hollow section, Evergreen, Watchung/Putnam, etc. I am interested in the area near Muhlenburg and the High School athletic fields on Randolph Rd. Thanks!
This map is from City-Data: //www.city-data.com/nbmaps/neig...ew-Jersey.html

I would think twice about that property. Muhlenburg Hospital closed a few years ago except for a small emergency care center and I believe the nursing school. The rest of the hospital has been up for sale since closing and so far no other healthcare system has been interested in purchasing it. Who knows what that facility will turn into in the future? The farther west you go on Randolph the worse it becomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora 7 View Post
Can anyone tell me how safe Glenwood Ave is in Plainfield (Sleepy Hollow section)? as I am thinking of buying a property there. Is it safe to walk around that area in the day and evening? What about to the shops to buy groceries- is the area safe or high crime rate?
Yes Glenwood Ave. is a very nice street with beautiful homes as you know. I know someone who lives on Rahway Ave. and they haven't had any problems. All of these homes in Sleepy Hollow have alarm systems. It's not a high crime area per se but you have to keep in mind that Sleepy Hollow is only a few miles from downtown Plainfield and the surrounding ghettos which are high crime areas. As for walking around, I suggest you might want to speak to some of the neighbors if you see them outside as this area might be fine to walk around in. I haven't personally walked around Glenwood only driven. For shopping head towards Rt. 22 which is not far. There are grocery stores and a nice mall called the Watchung Mall I believe. Sleepy Hollow is about a 15 to 20 minute drive to Westfield for some good restaurants and shopping. It is also convenient to the Menlo Park and Woodbridge malls. Taking back roads it should take about half an hour to 45 minutes (depending on traffic). If I had children I would not send them to the public schools. Almost all of the kids in Sleepy Hollow attend private school. On a final note: Stay out of downtown Plainfield.

Have both of you looked into Scotch Plains, Westfield or Cranford? I would suggest these towns over Plainfield.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:51 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,332,772 times
There is absolutely no reason to consider moving to Plainfield. Most of the people who do live there would rather live someplace else but by circumstances they are stuck in Plainfield.
I lived my entire life in communities near Plainfield and by the locals it is considered the worst town in Central NJ.
Properties are cheap, taxes are high, the schools are poorly rated.There are no decent stores in downtown Plainfield.
Unless you are considering opening an illegal pharmaceutical distributorship there is no reason to move to Plainfield.

Last edited by PDD; 03-31-2012 at 05:01 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 04:59 PM

402 posts, read 749,991 times
The local youth call it cainefield. So it might not be a good place to live. Just saying.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
There is absolutely no reason to consider moving to Plainfield. Most of the people who do live there would would rather live someplace else but by circumstances they are stuck in Plainfield.
I lived my entire life in communities near Plainfield and by the locals it is considered the worst town in Central NJ.
Properties are cheap, taxes are high, the schools are poorly rated.There are no decent stores in downtown Plainfield.
Unless you are considering opening an illegal pharmaceutical distributorship there is no reason to move to Plainfield.
I grew up in those areas too and agree with you 100%. Personally I would never live near that town again. Sad since it was once so beautiful.

Last edited by Rowen; 03-31-2012 at 05:13 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 05:03 PM

402 posts, read 749,991 times

The Bank Owns Plainfield, NJ - YouTube

Old 03-31-2012, 05:17 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,616,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
This map is from City-Data: //www.city-data.com/nbmaps/neig...ew-Jersey.html

I would think twice about that property. Muhlenburg Hospital closed a few years ago except for a small emergency care center and I believe the nursing school. The rest of the hospital has been up for sale since closing and so far no other healthcare system has been interested in purchasing it. Who knows what that facility will turn into in the future? The farther west you go on Randolph the worse it becomes.

Yes Glenwood Ave. is a very nice street with beautiful homes as you know. I know someone who lives on Rahway Ave. and they haven't had any problems. All of these homes in Sleepy Hollow have alarm systems. It's not a high crime area per se but you have to keep in mind that Sleepy Hollow is only a few miles from downtown Plainfield and the surrounding ghettos which are high crime areas. As for walking around, I suggest you might want to speak to some of the neighbors if you see them outside as this area might be fine to walk around in. I haven't personally walked around Glenwood only driven. For shopping head towards Rt. 22 which is not far. There are grocery stores and a nice mall called the Watchung Mall I believe. Sleepy Hollow is about a 15 to 20 minute drive to Westfield for some good restaurants and shopping. It is also convenient to the Menlo Park and Woodbridge malls. Taking back roads it should take about half an hour to 45 minutes (depending on traffic). If I had children I would not send them to the public schools. Almost all of the kids in Sleepy Hollow attend private school. On a final note: Stay out of downtown Plainfield.

Have both of you looked into Scotch Plains, Westfield or Cranford? I would suggest these towns over Plainfield.
Excellent advise. I worked as a professional for the Union County Psychiatric Clinic for many years. My car was broken into three times, and the area is saturated with drugs and alcohol........

Old 03-31-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
Excellent advise. I worked as a professional for the Union County Psychiatric Clinic for many years. My car was broken into three times, and the area is saturated with drugs and alcohol........
And don't forget the Bloods & Crips & Latin Kings - at least 33 dead last year. Terrible., I hope this scares the original posters. It should. There are some reasonably priced, gorgeous old houses with very high taxes but after seeing that video is it worth it? I won't even drive through there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey