U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 03:54 PM

12 posts, read 89,090 times

Advertisements

Hi I am an Elementary school teacher of 10 years in NYC. I was thinking about teaching in New Jersey for Sept 09. I am completing my second masters in Special Education next May. I am also bilingual (Spanish/English). Can anyone share any advice about teaching in New Jersey. What steps should I take regarding certification and job hunting? What is the salary like? If all goes well, I would also like for me and my family move to New Jersey too . I am really trying to avoid moving to Charlotte,NC. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,686,587 times
If you do a search on this site you will see that landing a teaching job in NJ can be a challenge. There are a lot of teachers and not as many jobs. Many districts it's mostly by personal referral (not what you know, but who you know). The fact is that if you are not tied to a particular region of the state you can really apply to all openings that you are certified for and then relocate.

I would apply now for your certification(s). It will cost some money but the Dept. of Ed is notorious for being very slow.

If you want to teach Special Ed you have to have two endorsements. Special Education (teacher of the handicapped) is one but then you need to be certified as either K-5, Middle School Subject area or High School Subject area. It is best to go to the State web site because the standards seem to continually be changing and it will also give you info about reciprocity.

There are jobs but they are very competitive. Being bilingual may help. Try some of the Abbott Districts which may have a higher hispanic population (Elizabeth, Newark, Trenton).

Pay scale is very dependent on the district. Many districts in NJ start new teachers at between $45-50K.

I'm a Special Ed teacher and can not get a position close to home. I travel 60 miles each way. I've heard that you can't even get a substitute position within 30 minutes of my home.

Good luck. I wouldn't want to move to NC either.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 PM

12 posts, read 89,090 times
Thanks this information was very helpful

Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 PM

2,865 posts, read 8,919,006 times
My friend never found a Special Ed teaching position in NJ, although she had years of experience, a double masters. Graduated with a 4.0.She taught for years in Brooklyn and had many recomendations. Her problem was she didn't have connections, and in NJ you beed that to get a teachers job, which is not true here. She ended up commuting back and forth from Staten Island everyday.

Diane G

Old 10-04-2008, 08:43 PM

249 posts, read 713,967 times
With a special ed degree you should have no problem getting into a school district. Yes, there are many districts where you must know someone to have a chance, but there are usually many postings for special ed positions in the newspaper. You might want to do some subbing for a while to get your foot in the door somewhere.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:14 PM

14 posts, read 27,930 times
Default Teaching English in New Jersey

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to post a new Post about teaching in New Jersey even though my settings say I can, so I hope it's OK to post my query here. Perhaps someone will see it. I'm assuming things are still as bad as they were in 2007-2009 in regard to teaching? (Maybe worse...?)

I taught English for three years at a Governor's School in VA and have been overseas for a year and a half to be with my British husband. Unfortunately I have not been able to teach here.

I have a master's degree but was working on my certification when I left VA to come here. (My husband will work at the NY office of his company so we're looking for places to live near there and we'd love to be in Northern New Jersey.)

Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:24 PM

16,833 posts, read 16,149,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Bound View Post
Hi,

I don't seem to be able to post a new Post about teaching in New Jersey even though my settings say I can, so I hope it's OK to post my query here. Perhaps someone will see it. I'm assuming things are still as bad as they were in 2007-2009 in regard to teaching? (Maybe worse...?)

I taught English for three years at a Governor's School in VA and have been overseas for a year and a half to be with my British husband. Unfortunately I have not been able to teach here.

I have a master's degree but was working on my certification when I left VA to come here. (My husband will work at the NY office of his company so we're looking for places to live near there and we'd love to be in Northern New Jersey.)

Thanks in advance for any info!
Not sure what your question is, what info are you looking for?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 PM

831 posts, read 2,676,443 times
My advice would be to look into another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey