Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2008, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 15,878 times

Advertisements

I am looking to bike from Staten Island to Jersey City tomorrow. Does anyone know the directions, using the streets, to get from the Bayonne Bridge to Jersey City? I know how to do it driving, but am not familiar with the streets in Bayonne or Jersey City. Is Kennedy Blvd the best way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,172 times
Depends on what type of roads you want to be on.When I used to bike in Bayonne I would go thru Avenue A then take the Park once you reached 38th St, exit the park at 48th St and go onto Kennedy Blvd into JC.
If you do not mind riding the entire way on a four lane road then the Blvd would be the way to go...but I would rather go Avenue A.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:27 PM

How do I get to Avenue A? I do not know what you mean by "the park." I'm guessing Kennedy Blvd is probably the easiest way for me. I assume I cannot miss my turn off going that way as I'll see the big building in J.C.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:56 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
fish can you give me the addresses, i have a map program where i can tell it not to go on any toll roads or highways ... mapquest actually might be able to do this also.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:08 AM

The address is 30 Hudson St. I looked on mapquest but it didn't help me. It just said go over the Bayonne bridge and turn right on a street. The problem with that is it assumes you are driving over the Bayonne Bridge. When you bike over the bridge, you exit below the bridge and not on 440 which is where you can turn on that street.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,172 times
Just mapquest or google map Bayonne.
You will find that Avenue A runs parallel with Kennedy Blvd, and that on 38th st you will find Bayonne Park.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:24 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Fish, what kind of bike do you have? I have a hybrid. There's a route have taken and liked (detailed below). Part of it is on gravel, so if you need an all-road route We can work out an alternate to this one:

The bike/ped path on the Bayonne Bridge drops you off onto 4th Street. If you turn right onto 4th Street, you'll reach Kennedy Blvd, Ave C, and Broadway. If you turn left onto 4th you'll reach Avenue A. I've never tried Avenue A (maybe I will next time). Most often I've taken Kennedy Blvd all the way up to JC or Broadway. Broadway is a busy commercial street, so you have to beware of doors. You can take an alternate avenue up through Bayonne and cut over to Broadway in the upper 50s streets. Broadway turns into Garfield Avenue when you cross into Jersey City. Garfield Ave passes through some not-so-nice neighborhoods, but you can get off it soon by turning right onto Linden Ave. Go over the RR tracks and under the Turnpike, then turn left onto Caven Point Rd. This road passes through industrial areas. There are trucks and potholes (find a street in JC without potholes), but there are shoulders, traffic is light and there aren't really any signals, cross-streets, etc. So you can pass through pretty quickly. Caven Pt Rd. ends at a T intersection. Turn right and go around the roundabout, exiting to go north onto Burma Rd. Again, more industry, but few cross-streets. Burma Rd. changes name to Philip Street. At Audrey Zapp Road (Liberty State Park), continue straight on Philip Street. The street appears to dead-end, but beyond the end is a small bike/ped path across a swampy river inlet. The path puts you onto a gravely plot and then onto Jersey Avenue in downtown JC. Continue to Grand Street. Turn right. Grand St. will take you right to Hudson St., or you can make your own detours through the Paulus Hook neighborhood if you want some quieter residential streets.

If you have road slicks, you won't be able to take the Philip St. path and gravel shortcut. Instead, as you're heading up Philip Street and reach Audrey Zapp Road/Johnston Dr., turn left. Go under the Turnpike and then turn right onto Pacific Ave. Pacific will bring you to Grand Street, where you will turn right to get to the downtown waterfront.

An alternative to all of this is to take Kennedy Blvd all the way up to Communipaw Ave in JC. Communipaw intersects with Grand Street. All three streets are busy, lots of traffic, traffic lights, buses (they will not yield to you, be careful!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey