Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 17,578 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I am a 28 year old gay male, relocating from Connecticut into Bergen County, New Jersey. I am moving for a job that is located in Paramus, NJ. I am looking for help on good apartment buildings in the area. I will probably be going to Manhattan (on the weekends) a lot so something even in between Paramus and the GW Bridge would be great. I looked on craigslist but can't really find much. Any suggestions? Specifically, maybe some nice apartment buildings. The most I am willing to spend is around $1700 for a 1 bedroom. I would love to in a safe area, maybe near a starbucks, shops, etc but yet close to work and close to fun (i.e. nyc).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 AM

can someone please give me suggestions???

Old 09-22-2008, 07:48 AM
yCf

106 posts, read 533,326 times
Have you looked at Ridgewood? Nice little downtown/main street area (with a starbuck). Trains and buses to NYC.

If Ridgewood is too pricey, my brother-in-law works in Paramus and live in Bloomfield. Don't know too much about the area but he said it is alright over there.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:57 AM

yCf...thank you! I've been looking on craigslist but it's so much of Hoboken area. I try to see if I can find something in Ridgewood.

Does anyone recommend a nice apartment building with amenities? Thanks

Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
I sent you a PM recommending you check out Prospect Street in Hackensack. Have a drive and you will see a mix of old and new apartment buildings, mid-rises and high rises. Its a more urban feel rather than suburban. Sorry I can't recommend specific buildings but when you get there you can see newer high rise buildings... the commute to paramus is against traffic and will tkae 10 minutes tops. you can take side streets.

Say hello to the shoe department at century 21 at the bergen mall on route 4 when you get there. i miss that place.

PS A lot of the places do not advertise on craigslist so you do kind of have to do a drive by one day.. alternatively go to www.nj.com, thats the online version of the local paper

Last edited by minibrings; 09-22-2008 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-22-2008, 11:23 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Englewood, great downtown close to Bridge. Go near Palasides ave, dont know what apt.s cost but 1 bedroom I am sure you could find something. Some people like Rutherford, say there is a gread downtown too. I would go over to Englewood, gyms, shops, coffee shops, bakeriers, dining, and city beat!

Ohh wait I see gay male, you must and I mean must check out Nyack!! This is right over TZ bridge, and a great downtown, city beat, and gay population!!! This is right over the border from Bergen County. Nyack is the place .................... TRUST ME!!! CLose to Paramus take 287 right to route 17 bingo right into paramus!! Ohh Nyack is the perfect place! So you got it all, NYC close, Paramus close and a great gay community with a downtown!!!! Bars and shops and dining all in Nyack with a country, victorian feel right on the Hudson River.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
Bergen County does not really have alot of apartments. I would try Ridgewood as it is close to Paramus and has lots to do, and great culture. There is a Starbucks on Main St. with lots of shopping also. You would love it there! I have two x gay brotherinlaws and that town was their always their top pic next to Hoboken which is too much of a commute to Paramus. The rents there will be high though and there is only one apartment building I know of in the town. The others are loft rentals or studios above the stores on Main St. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Englewood, great downtown close to Bridge. Go near Palasides ave, dont know what apt.s cost but 1 bedroom I am sure you could find something. Some people like Rutherford, say there is a gread downtown too. I would go over to Englewood, gyms, shops, coffee shops, bakeriers, dining, and city beat!

Ohh wait I see gal male, you must and I mean must check out Nyack!! This is right over TZ bridge, and a great downtown, city beat, and gay population!!! This is right over the border from Bergen County. Nyack is the place .................... TRUST ME!!! CLose to Paramus take 287 right to route 17 bingo right into paramus!! Ohh Nyack is the perfect place!
Famous last words.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Famous last words.
but its true Nyack NY is a great place for the gay community. they are there and very accepting and gay friendly. Houses are in top condition, and it just speaks loud and clear to the gay community for some reason. So why not check it out, its so close to NJ /Bergen and its the best choice for a gay male.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:19 PM

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate all your input. STEVEMORSE: thank you very much for suggesting Nyack. My only concern is, I think it's a bit far. I love Manhattan and plan on spending a lot of time in the city on the weekends. I will check out Englewood, anything else????? The Avalon apartments seem nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey