Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,077 times

Advertisements

Rabbi, I accept your criticism and I am definitely not looking to argue. You've brought up some good points which I will think over, discuss with my rabbanim and try to improve in.
A few quick points, although, like I said, I am not looking to make this into back and forth dialogue, as I don't see it benefiting our mutual goal.
I am a teacher in the world of kiruv for the past nine years and am in constant touch with rabbanim for all my concerns and shailos which as you can imagine, come up quite often. My great uncle is Rav Shmuel Kaminetzky and I am fortunate to contact him with my questions on a constant basis. Every decision, including attending college, is with da'as Torah, as well as with a very strong awareness of my goal in being mekarev others and being mekadesh shem shamayim. I agree that it is a very challenging and dangerous task, and I'd obviously prefer not to, but there is a time and place for a woman to be a teacher and a diplomat, although, as you pointed out correctly, it has to be with the full backing of daas Torah, and even then, it is a very precarious balance to maintain. I agree with you. In the future, if you'd like to point out anything you think I can benefit from, I'd appreciate you doing it via email - though for tznius reasons i'd prefer to skip that venue as well - I hope you will agree that doing it publicly is not a benificial option.
Thank you.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 PM

316 posts, read 596,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradgirl View Post
Rabbi, I accept your criticism and I am definitely not looking to argue. You've brought up some good points which I will think over, discuss with my rabbanim and try to improve in.
A few quick points, although, like I said, I am not looking to make this into back and forth dialogue, as I don't see it benefiting our mutual goal.
I am a teacher in the world of kiruv for the past nine years and am in constant touch with rabbanim for all my concerns and shailos which as you can imagine, come up quite often. My great uncle is Rav Shmuel Kaminetzky and I am fortunate to contact him with my questions on a constant basis. Every decision, including attending college, is with da'as Torah, as well as with a very strong awareness of my goal in being mekarev others and being mekadesh shem shamayim. I agree that it is a very challenging and dangerous task, and I'd obviously prefer not to, but there is a time and place for a woman to be a teacher and a diplomat, although, as you pointed out correctly, it has to be with the full backing of daas Torah, and even then, it is a very precarious balance to maintain. I agree with you. In the future, if you'd like to point out anything you think I can benefit from, I'd appreciate you doing it via email - though for tznius reasons i'd prefer to skip that venue as well - I hope you will agree that doing it publicly is not a benificial option.
Thank you.
I suppose you should ask your great-uncle about flaunting yourself, your goals, and views on this forum, or any for that matter.

Perhaps ask him pointedly if you should post his answer here as well. Awaiting Rabbi Kamintetzky's reply.

Quote:
Is this unreal?
This young lady has a non-Jewish friend and this so-called "Rabbi" Joe condemns her for having friends that are not her faith.
What ignorance.
Not so. As you see, the young lady agrees - a strong point of the religion. As an outsider- please do not involve yourslef with internal going-ons.

As for this being the venue of the exchange - it is unfourtanate firstly.

Second- I can assure you - the youg lady - if she is orthodox, is not seeking any friendships or associations through this forum - and will undoubtedly terminate her interaction on this post- if she asks and receives and then follows her great-uncle's advice. Which I can assure you - she did not previously seek.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
I suppose you should ask your great-uncle about flaunting yourself, your goals, and views on this forum, or any for that matter.

Perhaps ask him pointedly if you should post his answer here as well. Awaiting Rabbi Kamintetzky's reply.

Not so. As you see, the young lady agrees - a strong point of the religion. As an outsider- please do not involve yourslef with internal going-ons.

As for this being the venue of the exchange - it is unfourtanate firstly.

Second- I can assure you - the youg lady - if she is orthodox, is not seeking any friendships or associations through this forum - and will undoubtedly terminate her interaction on this post- if she asks and receives and then follows her great-uncle's advice. Which I can assure you - she did not previously seek.

Shame on you. This isn't Judaism, it's sectism. And you accuse Conservative Jews of picking and choosing?

Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 PM

57 posts, read 309,749 times
and many if not most Haredi in Lakewood are still rude. (unless they know I'm Jewish)
and their children still ignore my son at the park. (unless he is wearing his Kippah)

if you are going to put on the uniform and represent Jews and Judaism to the gentile world (or the secular Jewish world) you better damn well act as a light to the nations.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 AM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times
Quote:
As an outsider- please do not involve yourslef with internal going-ons.

Yo, Joey baby, chill out. This is a public forum, and if you or anyone else makes a comment and I want to spend a few seconds answering it then I will.
Next time don't get your BVD's in such a bind!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Boy, it sure sounds like Rabbi Joe has alot of hate in him.

If this is truly "their" way of thinking, no wonder people of other religions aren't friendly towards those of the Jewish faith.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:58 AM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times
Quote:

That is so 21st century of you, Joey...
Men telling woman what they should do!!!
I wonder if other women on this forum agree with men telling them what they should do!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 AM

316 posts, read 596,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
and many if not most Haredi in Lakewood are still rude. (unless they know I'm Jewish)
and their children still ignore my son at the park. (unless he is wearing his Kippah)

if you are going to put on the uniform and represent Jews and Judaism to the gentile world (or the secular Jewish world) you better damn well act as a light to the nations.
You would need years of schooling to understand the term "light to the nations", and this forum is no place to start.

I do suggest that your son wear his Kippah, as that would be a sign that you appreciate your own faith. Typing strong words without knowing simple basics of your religion is funny!

As for the rest of you - if religion is not your cup of tea - well - stick to Lakewood Bashing...

Old 04-07-2008, 08:47 PM

57 posts, read 309,749 times
Quote:
You would need years of schooling to understand the term "light to the nations", and this forum is no place to start.

I do suggest that your son wear his Kippah, as that would be a sign that you appreciate your own faith. Typing strong words without knowing simple basics of your religion is funny!

As for the rest of you - if religion is not your cup of tea - well - stick to Lakewood Bashing...
Tell you what Joe, I'll sew a yellow star onto my five year olds jacket if that would make you feel better. My son wares a kippah every day at school and when we go to shul. wearing a kippah is tradition not law.

It cost nothing to be polite. to say "thank you" when someone holds a door or "excuse me" when you bump into someone.

Are good manners the domain of the gentile and something frowned upon by the Yashivish?

It is not natural for one 5 yo to ignore another 5 yo in the playground. this behavior can only be a result of contempt for gentiles that these kids pick up at home.

Are you aware that it is against Jewish law to cause gentiles to hate Jews?

And again I say if you are going to put on the uniform and represent Jews (me) to the world then act accordingly.

And what are you doing on-line anyway? You must not have children in a school in Lakewood because the internet has been banned and you kids would be tossed out of school. Spending time on an internet message board instead of studying Talmud? Wouldn't Torah study be better use of your time then this?

Last edited by Lepke; 04-07-2008 at 08:55 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,805 times
Lightbulb Oh no

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
That is so 21st century of you, Joey...
Men telling woman what they should do!!!
I wonder if other women on this forum agree with men telling them what they should do!
Hmm men telling women what to do, when to do it, who to speak to and with whom to be friendly. IMO: That sound a little cult-ish.

I sure hope Gradgirl did get scared off by big bad Rabbi Joe.
Let's get all the gentiles and nice Jews together on this thread for a big group hug for Grad Girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey