Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
Lakewood, NJ is an Urban Enterprise Zone, meaning they pay 3 1/2% sales tax. I'm sure they along with anyone else who owns property pays property tax.

Not necessarily. Several forms of property are classed as tax-exempt -- public hospitals, specific types of property owned by churches, schools, veteran, fraternal, or charitable organizations.

The property owner has to apply to the municipality to become an exempt property, and there are very strict state regulations regarding them. A synagogue, for example, wouldn't automatically be exempt -- they would need to apply for the exemption through the local assessor's office (once they have the exemption, they have to certify on a regular basis that the property continues to be exempt). The rabbi's residence would also qualify for an exemption, as would a parking lot used by the synagogue -- but other properties owned by the synagogue would not unless their use was directly related to the use of the synagogue, and would be assessed based upon their use (residential, commercial, industrial), as would individual lots of vacant land not in direct use.

At the same time though for the most part if they donate a significant amount of their income to their respective synagogues they are able to get a tax writeoff which may offset some of the property taxes they pay.
You can't reduce municipal property taxes due to charitable deductions. Property taxes are payable to the municipality, and since we don't have city income taxes in NJ, there's no writeoff.

The only way to reduce property taxes is to qualify for a veteran/veteran's widow deduction (only veterans serving during time of war qualify; multiple qualified deductions are allowed on a depending on several conditions -- multiple veteran owners, for instance, and a veteran who is a surviving spouse of a veteran would be allowed two), a senior/surviving spouse deduction (based on income -- one deduction per property unit), a disabled person/surviving spouse deduction (also based on income; again, one per property unit), or to qualify for the tax freeze (I have less information on this because I didn't work in the Tax Collector's office after the statute authorizing it was implemented).

Qualifed disabled veterans also qualify for an assessment reduction depending on the severity of the disability -- a 100% disabled veteran who owns a single-family dwelling would be 100% exempt -- but if he or she owned a two-family house, or only owned 50% of the property (say, with a sibling or friend), only 50% of the the property would be exempt from taxes).

Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,272 times
Hi All, I am a GCU Graduate student pursuing a Masters in Special Education. I commute an hour and 20 minutes north to school in Lakewood, NJ and thought I'm from Cape May County, I have never seen a Jewish population such as this one. Large religious affiliations have always intrigued me, and I like to educate myself as often as I can. So far, I've found there is a lot of hostility toward the Jewish population of Lakewood and I can, in a sense, see why. While I don't advocate alienating a group based on their religious affiliation, it seems as though the Jews of Lakewood have alienated themselves. I often see Jewish men walking the streets or pacing around street corners in the middle of the day, stroking their beard, and looking pensive. Why is this?? What does a typical day for them entail? It seems as though none of them work and large amounts of them live in ratty looking apartments. Secondly, I am exceptionally bothered, as a teacher, by the amount of toddlers [or not much older] walking the streets alone. Yes, I realize I drive directly through their neighborhood and they probably feel safe, but this is NOT SAFE. This is a kidnappers dream. Today I saw a three year old leading his one and a half year old sister down the street. Obviously the ages are approximate but how is child welfare services just turning the other cheek at this? This is absurd to me. Do the parents just not notice when their children walk out the front door and down the street??? Furthermore, as many others have said, they DO NOT obey the traffic laws. I have been nearly hit about a dozen times in the past week and constantly slam on my breaks. They also beep their horns incessantly. So, considering they don't follow the traffic laws and children roam around the streets unattended, how is this SAFE??? I'm sorry if this is offensive but I truly cannot figure out this way of life. I am Catholic and I am genuinely open minded to most people. I do believe that if a group isn't hurting anyone, let them be free to live as they wish, but it seems as though there is a lot of hostility amongst the non-Jewish and the Jewish communities and I'd love to be enlightened as to why.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:08 AM

316 posts, read 595,974 times
Default Jewish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School 1965 View Post
As far as Jewish being an ethnicity or religion, that has confused me for years.

I know people who are Russian,Polish and German who are also Jews. Yet I being Irish and German was raised Catholic, but the second time I got married was Methodist since the Catholic Church frowns on divorce and I was married Catholic the first time around.

All religions are screwed up, the Jewish with their ancient customs on the sabbath to the Catholic hypocites who will allow murderer's, rapist's,child molestor's into their church, but not a divorced person.

My wife was born Catholic and her mother chose not to raise her with any religion. She went down to St Mary's a few years ago to see about receiving communion, her Confirmation(and of course Penance) just to get some religion back in her life. They put her through hell and made her wait over a year before they even decided to answer her. In the meantime, she found the Methodist church we got married in and started going there instead, but now they are out of money and too busy helping illegal aliens get identification papers that we no longer go there.

So as screwed up as most believe the Jews to be, the other religions are really no better.

I still wish they would obey the traffic laws(as well as everyone else).
The religion known as Judaism has many various sects. Within these sects they are yet many sub groups- authentic in their own right and respected one amongst another. I would very much like to clarify this, so that those who might ask Jewish related questions, should be made aware of whom they are receiving their information. And before digesting and comprehending any pertinent facts should be made aware of whom they are receiving their information. I do suggest is well that you should also ask from which specific authority.

The three major components of Judaism are as follows:
Orthodox.
Conservative.
Reform.
Parallel to Orthodox are the Sefardim.

Orthodox interpret the laws and heritage from the five books of Moses as well as the Talmudic law. In what is known as Shulchan Aruch, or the book of code of Jewish law. Sefardim rely upon the teachings and code of Maimonides a 10th century Orthodox sage.

Conservative and Reform Judaism do not adhere to the Talmudic law and deviate in their heritage from the Shulchan Aruch.

There is limited diplomacy between the Orthodox and the conservative or reform movements.

Orthodox Jewry to not seek to interact or intermingle with the conservative or reform movement.

While Orthodox Jewry respect all humanity, they do not respect the conservative reform movements or their members as authentic Jews loyal to the Jewish code of law.

Orthodox Jewry will not marry a member of the conservative or a member of the Reform movement.

Within the realm of Orthodox Jewry, there are various segments. There is the ultra orthodox, Hasidic, Orthodox, modern Orthodox, and irreligious. These groups do mingle and do necessarily marry one another.

While there are many other various degrees, and much more information regarding the various segments and sects of Orthodox Jewry. The general public should be made aware that there is insurmountable differences between the Orthodox and the Reform or Conservative movements.

Please be aware and note that if you do seek authentic Jewish information, please seek it from an authentic source and be aware, is actually speaking to someone who is capable and knowledgeable in the authentic way of Orthodox Jewry. You might be misled inadvertently by any information you receive. Thank you.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
While i can answer various questions regarding the Jewish religion, I honestly believe that an open forum, is not the proper place.

In line with what I have mentioned previously, I'd suggest the following.

There are a few authentic Jewish Orthodox online sites in which you can probably garner authentic Rabbinic reply, answers, comments, so on so forth.

A better way to find out information, is to contact an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi in person. I do not know if you would be comfortable with such a suugestion, hence I write it second, but that would be the best way to go.

Below are two links of Orthodox Institutions which have the capacity of properly answering all questions:

Contact Us

Contact Information

Please note; the reason I so strongly advocate for the orthodox approach is because, they alone stand for the authentic beliefs and heritage as it standed over the last 2,000 years, without changing, amending, or disregarding any part of the religion or costoms... this is not the case regarding any other sect.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:15 AM

57 posts, read 309,670 times
Here is part of the problem. The Haredi believe they are the only real Jews. Rabbinic Judaism has changed over the centuries but these orthodox claim it has not. if you want to know about Judaism ask a Conservative rabbi who is far better able to explain it to non Jews.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
Any clown can get a costume, including the coat, shoes, hat, fake beard, hairpiece, etc. For all I know maybe some immature person was dared by his friends to do it.
Or it could have been an actual Orthodox Jew. They aren't immune from deviant behavior any more than any other group. I remember a few years ago an Orthodox rabbi getting arrested for soliciting sex from a young boy prostitute out in Queens.

At any rate, if the exhibitionist was Orthodox, I hardly think his actions were representative of his community.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Here is part of the problem. The Haredi believe they are the only real Jews. Rabbinic Judaism has changed over the centuries but these orthodox claim it has not. if you want to know about Judaism ask a Conservative rabbi who is far better able to explain it to non Jews.
what has changed over the centuries other than people's desire to follow only the rules that are convenient to them?

i mentioned the bacon thing before in a half joking way but the point is that there is a disconnect between old religions and the modern world. its tough these days to convince someone they cant eat bacon, ham, shellfish, etc. and that they have to have 2 seperate sets of plates for meat and dairy. but thats the religion and does it make sense to adjust the religion to suit your modern day preferences?

i was raised "reform" jewish but thats a joke. im not jewish. i dont believe in anything about the religion and god help the person that tries to keep me from eating bacon. reform judaism is a problem for judaism because it doesnt do the job of brainwashing its followers and they often lose touch with any real religion. the orthodox, like the catholics, beat it into their children and you have threats of hell and all this other stuff if you stray. you need to really brainwash the next generation (or find a group of desperate people) in order to keep it going and the reform jews dont do that.

oh and i am married to a catholic mamasita.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:46 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
The religion known as Judaism has many various sects. Within these sects they are yet many sub groups- authentic in their own right and respected one amongst another. I would very much like to clarify this, so that those who might ask Jewish related questions, should be made aware of whom they are receiving their information. And before digesting and comprehending any pertinent facts should be made aware of whom they are receiving their information. I do suggest is well that you should also ask from which specific authority.

The three major components of Judaism are as follows:
Orthodox.
Conservative.
Reform.
Parallel to Orthodox are the Sefardim.

Orthodox interpret the laws and heritage from the five books of Moses as well as the Talmudic law. In what is known as Shulchan Aruch, or the book of code of Jewish law. Sefardim rely upon the teachings and code of Maimonides a 10th century Orthodox sage.

Conservative and Reform Judaism do not adhere to the Talmudic law and deviate in their heritage from the Shulchan Aruch.

There is limited diplomacy between the Orthodox and the conservative or reform movements.

Orthodox Jewry to not seek to interact or intermingle with the conservative or reform movement.

While Orthodox Jewry respect all humanity, they do not respect the conservative reform movements or their members as authentic Jews loyal to the Jewish code of law.

Orthodox Jewry will not marry a member of the conservative or a member of the Reform movement.

Within the realm of Orthodox Jewry, there are various segments. There is the ultra orthodox, Hasidic, Orthodox, modern Orthodox, and irreligious. These groups do mingle and do necessarily marry one another.

While there are many other various degrees, and much more information regarding the various segments and sects of Orthodox Jewry. The general public should be made aware that there is insurmountable differences between the Orthodox and the Reform or Conservative movements.

Please be aware and note that if you do seek authentic Jewish information, please seek it from an authentic source and be aware, is actually speaking to someone who is capable and knowledgeable in the authentic way of Orthodox Jewry. You might be misled inadvertently by any information you receive. Thank you.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
While i can answer various questions regarding the Jewish religion, I honestly believe that an open forum, is not the proper place.

In line with what I have mentioned previously, I'd suggest the following.

There are a few authentic Jewish Orthodox online sites in which you can probably garner authentic Rabbinic reply, answers, comments, so on so forth.

A better way to find out information, is to contact an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi in person. I do not know if you would be comfortable with such a suugestion, hence I write it second, but that would be the best way to go.

Below are two links of Orthodox Institutions which have the capacity of properly answering all questions:

Contact Us

Contact Information

Please note; the reason I so strongly advocate for the orthodox approach is because, they alone stand for the authentic beliefs and heritage as it standed over the last 2,000 years, without changing, amending, or disregarding any part of the religion or costoms... this is not the case regarding any other sect.
Thank you, Rabbi Joe, for the comprehensive information.

I have two questions: Who are the Jews in Monsey, New York, that wear the big furry hats? I know there is a name for the headwear, but I don't remember it.

and

Do you consider Madonna "one of you"? OK, the last question was a joke.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:08 PM

445 posts, read 1,983,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you, Rabbi Joe, for the comprehensive information.

I have two questions: Who are the Jews in Monsey, New York, that wear the big furry hats? I know there is a name for the headwear, but I don't remember it.

and

Do you consider Madonna "one of you"? OK, the last question was a joke.
The Jews who wear the big furry hats are hasidic. It is called a shtreimel. There are some in Lakewood as well. I would have to object to the jew bashing in this thread. Its never a good idea to clump a whole group and say that everyone does something wrong or such. Do you hear people saying "oh that Christian and his bad driving". Grow up people. There are bad apples in every group and religion. So what if the orthodox jews in lakewood keep to themselves and dont want to have anything to do with everyone else. Do you hear people bashing the Amish because they keep to themselves. Its an age old tradition, so to speak, to hate jews. Its just petty and useless.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:14 AM

17 posts, read 15,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or it could have been an actual Orthodox Jew. They aren't immune from deviant behavior any more than any other group. I remember a few years ago an Orthodox rabbi getting arrested for soliciting sex from a young boy prostitute out in Queens.

At any rate, if the exhibitionist was Orthodox, I hardly think his actions were representative of his community.

I admittedly do not know much about Jewish religious traditions, nor do I know many devout Jews, but there are zealots in most religous groups.

Anyway, a co-worker of mine is a non-practicing "former Jew" (her self-imposed moniker). She claims to be a former Orthodox Jew from Brooklyn who became seriously disillusioned with her community, due to what she said was rampant abuse of woman, sexual deviance, and blatant hypocrisy on the part of the men. It is certainly possible that her experiences were unique to her and her sweeping accusations are a result of her bitterness, but I have heard these accusations before. However, this was the first time I heard it from the mouth of one of their own (albeit formerly). If I am correct, doesn't each Orthodox sect have it's own leader called a Rebbe and don't these individual sects have their own idiosyncratic customs? Not saying it is endemic, but it certainly sounds like a situation where sexual deviance and abberant behavior could be fostered.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black & White View Post
She claims to be a former Orthodox Jew from Brooklyn who became seriously disillusioned with her community, due to what she said was rampant abuse of woman, sexual deviance, and blatant hypocrisy on the part of the men.
judaism is a male-dominated religion and there are many customs that would be quite offensive to your typical modern woman. that has nothing to do with accusations, its absolutely a part of the religion. its not as bad as the muslim stuff, id say its disrespectful and demeaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey