U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 01:23 AM

16,987 posts, read 16,585,334 times

Advertisements

once we get the checks,(right before election day), we'll all be happy.

- Tax reform: gone
- School funding reform: gone
- Pension reform: gone
- Multiple gov't jobs reform: gone
- Open, see-through govt: gone
- Whatever else Corzine and Co. promised: gone

They must think they're governing the dumbest bunch of taxpayers in the US. Maybe they are.

I just hope they don't ********** state up so bad that those of us left here can't sell our homes for a nice profit and haul a** out when our time comes.

Oh yeah, did anyone see Corzine working his new part time job as a union organizer at Rutgers?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 PM

1,393 posts, read 7,295,117 times
Oh yeah Corzine is quoted as saying "relief is on the way !! "

and Codey said

" "When the dust settles, what will be remembered is that we did, in fact, deliver on our promise,"

************* FROM THE STAR LEDGER **********************

Progress, Trenton style
Thursday, February 08, 2007

This time, we were promised, would be different. Merely tinkering with rebates wouldn't do. This time Trenton would be serious about changing the way state and local governments raise revenue and how they spend it. In this systematic overhaul, everything was in play, including the previous untouchables.

That's what Gov. Jon Cor zine, Senate President Richard Codey and Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts said last summer when the Legislature em barked on its special session on property taxes.

Seven months later, what we got was mere tinkering with re bates. No changes in the way state and local governments raise revenue or how they spend it.

A lot of spin is under way to convince taxpayers the legislation adopted this week is groundbreaking. Don't believe it.

In fact, the promised rebates are only slightly more than what homeowners got in 2004. Only in Trenton would return ing to what we had three years ago be considered progress. And the rebates could shrink just as quickly because, despite Corzine's demands that the reductions be sustainable, there's no long-term guarantee that the money will be available two or three years from now.

Then there's the property tax cap that's not a cap at all because there's an exemption for everything.

The school aid formula re mains unchanged. With schools responsible for at least 55 percent of the property tax bill, how can any real reform occur without addressing a redistribution of that aid?

As with past property tax plans, the overriding goal for legislators has always been to get through the next election. If the type of government reform promised during those heady days last summer had to be sacrificed, so be it.

The bills sitting on Corzine's desk will get those wanting to return to Trenton next year re- elected. It's just that this time it was supposed to be different. There would be no deepening of the public's disillusionment with politicians because this time they would make good on their promises.

For a while, we actually be lieved them. Shame on us.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:07 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,781,591 times
For a while, we actually be lieved them. Shame on us.[/QUOTE]

I NEVER BELIEVED THEM...PERIOD

Old 02-09-2007, 11:25 PM

32 posts, read 70,440 times
Elections are essentially a choice of which flavor of poison would you like?

what we need is:
1)campaign finance reform
2)BINDING referendums

Take the money out of the equation, and voila! Votes have power again.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnin View Post
Elections are essentially a choice of which flavor of poison would you like?

what we need is:
1)campaign finance reform
2)BINDING referendums

Take the money out of the equation, and voila! Votes have power again.
We need I & R. That's the only way we'll get our power back.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
We need I & R. That's the only way we'll get our power back.
It's early for me and I'm only now flushing my system with coffee but

I & R ??

Let me be the first to venture forth as no one else seems willing.

I & R => Insurrection & Revolution ??

Not that there's anything wrong with it of course but I don't forsee the automatons assembling enmasse any time soon. The black robed exalted ones are far to accustomed to the unwashed masses begging on bended knee for "privileges" which long ago were considered inalienable rights even under common law. No, I think those days have passed for so many reasons.

Gather hands and chant , We all must work within the system !!

Old 02-10-2007, 12:20 PM

409 posts, read 1,111,347 times
Default Politics, Politics!

New Jersey is the most politically-driven state in the US. Look at our rocky history as far as government (and govenors) in Trenton. They talk out of both sides of their mouths.

I just loved McGreevey taking those helicopter rides (wasn't it $18,000 every time one of them took off the ground?) instead of a state car because he liked to fly. Then he went to a family reunion in Ireland and the taxpayers of NJ paid for it...I could go on about his little "buddy" from Israel. The fact that McGreevey is gay doesn't bother me so much as the fact that he gave his buddy a $100,000 plus job as an Israeli Liaison for New Jersey. Pardon me? Is there any reason why New Jersey should have an Israeli Liaison?

That's the lamest excuse for creating a bogus job that I ever heard of. No wonder our state is the laughing stock of the nation. Even the phrase "Garden State" hardly applies anymore. Where are the gardens, except in little backyards? The entire state is being paved and built over with expensive sub-divisions with hypocritical names like "Deer Run". Yeah, the deer sure are running because they no longer have anywhere to live.

Sorry if I feel bitter, but I am. I grew up here and can remember the good old days. It is heartbreaking but I have to leave NJ or go broke.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:42 PM

Weel said Angel. I grew up here also, born in Sommers Point at the shore. It's unspeakable what has happened over the past few decades.

BTW re McGreevey's boy toy. It's my understanding he wasn't even a US citizen and therfore would not have been allowed to sit it on "classified" meetings. Israeli Liaison indeed. After McGreevey's election, Cipel was named homeland security director for New Jersey, a $110,000 per year job. !! Not bad for someone who has no security clearence.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:21 PM

91 posts, read 452,791 times
Default Sickening isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Weel said Angel. I grew up here also, born in Sommers Point at the shore. It's unspeakable what has happened over the past few decades.

BTW re McGreevey's boy toy. It's my understanding he wasn't even a US citizen and therfore would not have been allowed to sit it on "classified" meetings. Israeli Liaison indeed. After McGreevey's election, Cipel was named homeland security director for New Jersey, a $110,000 per year job. !! Not bad for someone who has no security clearence.

He knew how the game is played in Jersey. Homeland Security Director! That was more disgusting than the time he used the State Ploice Helicopter to get picked up after breaking his leg in one of his escapades with Cipel after midnight on the beach!
Thank God for the people that uncovered that mess. Didin't 101.5 have a big part in that? Can't remember. I know it wasn't the average Jersey citizen. Majority of em are like sheep. Just go the way you tell them to go.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
It's early for me and I'm only now flushing my system with coffee but

I & R ??

Let me be the first to venture forth as no one else seems willing.

I & R => Insurrection & Revolution ??

Not that there's anything wrong with it of course but I don't forsee the automatons assembling enmasse any time soon. The black robed exalted ones are far to accustomed to the unwashed masses begging on bended knee for "privileges" which long ago were considered inalienable rights even under common law. No, I think those days have passed for so many reasons.

Gather hands and chant , We all must work within the system !!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initiative_and_referendum

Gives the voters a major say in what happens in the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: