Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 PM

71 posts, read 337,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
I think Brian G is right and Rahway might be affordable for you and your shoes. Plus you could hop on a train for NY, Newark or even the other way to New Brunswick. Most people I know in the creative industry have had to freelance their way into the company first.

Thanks! How is Rahway? Is it safe, what is the crime like? How about entertainment (shopping, movies, bowling, restaurants, random places to go exploring)? How about transit, is there a train station nearby if I decide to work in NY?

I'm fine with freelancing at first, I just need to be somewhere working steady hours. I am completely ok with picking up a basic job and freelancing on the side, here in Philadelphia even the retail job doesn't give me enough hours anymore and I'm starting to scrape bottom. So if there are lots of shopping centers or offices that would be perfect for me to try and pick a basic retail job or an office job.

As far as rent I really don't want to go above $1100 a month (fortunately my boyfriend and I split the rent in half, so we each have about a $500-$600 max right now). Expenses in Philly are so high, and it's just getting to be too much hassle, especially because neither of us even like it here! I just want to be somewhere where I can easily get to a regular grocery store, and basic shopping (I miss Target so much) and not spend twice as much on the things I need because it's a specialty store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelef1l View Post
Thanks! How is Rahway? Is it safe, what is the crime like? How about entertainment (shopping, movies, bowling, restaurants, random places to go exploring)? How about transit, is there a train station nearby if I decide to work in NY?

I'm fine with freelancing at first, I just need to be somewhere working steady hours. I am completely ok with picking up a basic job and freelancing on the side, here in Philadelphia even the retail job doesn't give me enough hours anymore and I'm starting to scrape bottom. So if there are lots of shopping centers or offices that would be perfect for me to try and pick a basic retail job or an office job.

As far as rent I really don't want to go above $1100 a month (fortunately my boyfriend and I split the rent in half, so we each have about a $500-$600 max right now). Expenses in Philly are so high, and it's just getting to be too much hassle, especially because neither of us even like it here! I just want to be somewhere where I can easily get to a regular grocery store, and basic shopping (I miss Target so much) and not spend twice as much on the things I need because it's a specialty store.

Brian will be able to give you the best scoop. All I can say is you will have a train station, be near most major roadways, have lots of shopping and bars. As far as safety, some parts are better than others but since you live somewhere that smells like vomit, I can't imagine you will be disappointed.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Brian will be able to give you the best scoop. All I can say is you will have a train station, be near most major roadways, have lots of shopping and bars. As far as safety, some parts are better than others but since you live somewhere that smells like vomit, I can't imagine you will be disappointed.
Thanks for your help, tandcookies!!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,438 times
There is definitely a good and bad side of the tracks in Rahway - but the good side if the tracks is really nice. We briefly looked in Rahway, but only rejected it because it's a little far from my family. But it's nice, because it's only 35 min out of Manhattan on the rail road.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 AM

138 posts, read 610,475 times
I live in Rahway, and the only reason I didn't suggest it was because you said you wanted a 45 minute commute to NYC. It takes me about an hour & 20 minutes to commute to the Wall Street area (via Newark Penn Station & the Path). I think it would actually be quicker if I worked right near NY Penn Station, by the time I transfer to the Path, walk to my office, etc. I moved from Jersey City, and I was very hesitant to leave for the suburbs, but I have to say that I really like Rahway so far. There are 2 malls within a 10-15 minute drive and Target/ Shop Rite/ Home Depot/ restaurants etc. all even closer than that. I don't know about rent, though, since we bought. $1100 doesn't get you much in nice areas of NJ, but BrianG, as a realtor, might know the going rate in town...

Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty318 View Post
I live in Rahway, and the only reason I didn't suggest it was because you said you wanted a 45 minute commute to NYC. It takes me about an hour & 20 minutes to commute to the Wall Street area (via Newark Penn Station & the Path). I think it would actually be quicker if I worked right near NY Penn Station, by the time I transfer to the Path, walk to my office, etc. I moved from Jersey City, and I was very hesitant to leave for the suburbs, but I have to say that I really like Rahway so far. There are 2 malls within a 10-15 minute drive and Target/ Shop Rite/ Home Depot/ restaurants etc. all even closer than that. I don't know about rent, though, since we bought. $1100 doesn't get you much in nice areas of NJ, but BrianG, as a realtor, might know the going rate in town...
OK, thanks for your help!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:54 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Um, Rahway for the most part is kinda dumpy, am I wrong? I have heard that it has gotten worse over the years (I grew up in Union County).

Also, you mention that cost of living is high in Philly....cost of living is actually extremely LOW when compared to NJ so just a heads up on that, if you are indeed moving to NJ.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:28 PM

138 posts, read 610,475 times
Tommy, no, it is not dumpy as a whole. They are actually in the process of renovating the downtown - lots of new apartment complexes & restaurants. My street is lovely. Just like any other city, though, I am sure there are dumpy parts.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:07 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,459,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Um, Rahway for the most part is kinda dumpy, am I wrong? I have heard that it has gotten worse over the years (I grew up in Union County).

Also, you mention that cost of living is high in Philly....cost of living is actually extremely LOW when compared to NJ so just a heads up on that, if you are indeed moving to NJ.
Tommyc

I invite you and all others that think like this to take a trip to rahway
but make sure you see the whole 7 miles of the city

I take all newcomers around the whole town so they know what they are getting into, starting from the linden side of 1-9 down to the carteret side
then around downtown , the merck section,the hospital section, the milton lake section and finally the inman hgts section.

I can guarantee you will think twice about what you will say about rahway after that

Old 09-24-2008, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 23,912 times
How about East Orange, that's a very nice upper-middle class area with great restaurants along the downtown strip. People there are very friendly. One even tried to park my car for me the other day. I'm still trying to figure out why he had a gun in his hand .

OK, that was a joke. But I actually went down there to look at an apartment I saw online. It had granite countertops, new renovations....you name it. They only showed photos of the inside. My dumb a$$ being completely new to the area, went down there due to the fact I also wanted something within a 45 minute commute to lower Manhattan. I drove in, and drove straight the hell out. Like someone stated earlier, Rutherford and other towns close by are a pretty easy commute to Manhattan. Montclair and Nutley are pretty nice as well. Do not go south of Belleville. Too close to Newark and the neighborhoods tend to get a little rough looking. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey