U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,476,049 times

Advertisements

There was a career fair in the City this morning. The heading was FINANCE, MARKETING, ADVERTISING, AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!!!

Being the unemployed loser that I am, I decided to actually head into Manhattan to see what this was all about. What a mistake.

This fair was on 32nd and Broadway, and the line? Stretched around a whole city block....33rd and 5th. I waited for almost three hours to see what and who was inside so I waited, and waited, and waited.

I struck up a conversation with the guy behind me. JP Morgan Chase. Executive VP of financial programming...out of work 7 months. He was making 205K and has reduced himself to taking a job paying 70K at this point.

As we were being herded into this little room (no lie, it was 50 x 50 at the biggest) all we saw were jobs for outside sales reps, a receptionist position for the New York Sports Club, and some other crap peddling life insurance.

Now I know why the employers are never mentioned in the advertisements. Nobody would go if they found out that this is what was attending a job fair.

If you're looking for a job, by all means, save yourself the hassle and do not attend a job fair.

What a waste of scuffing up my Allen Edmonds and wrinkling a good suit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 03:36 PM

857 posts, read 1,927,727 times
what do you do?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
what do you do?
I was in Marketing as a biz development analyst, but want to get back into brand strategy and product management.

I can see how being a receptionist as a sports club would further my career.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:54 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,441,956 times
Job fairs are the WORST. My neighbor who FINALLY got a position after 10 months out of work has given me the same story. My husband went to a few that were a complete waste of time too.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Job fairs are the WORST. My neighbor who FINALLY got a position after 10 months out of work has given me the same story. My husband went to a few that were a complete waste of time too.
Did the husband almost snap out? hahaha I swear, the labor was for coked up monkeys.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:44 PM

24,657 posts, read 37,236,380 times
Job fairs are the biggest exercise in mental masturbation ever conceived...........

Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,569,903 times
The scary thing about this post is that there was a line that was so long to get in. Bad bad stuff.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:24 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,981,327 times
the I-banks do not do job fairs

they just automatically take recent grads from the top schools, or the managers' fraternities

Or if you are a hawt toots

I went to job fairs when I graduated

Some of jobs are pretty interesting, it is not always sales

Call the organizers and ask them about the employers, they sometimes have websites with lists

Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,304,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post

Being the unemployed loser that I am, I decided to actually head into Manhattan to see what this was all about. What a mistake.
:
HobokenGuy - You are NOT an unemployed loser!

The only "error" if you want to call it that is that you didn't ask here in C-D land about Job Fairs.

I've gone to two here in NJ in past years - although not nearly a wait and huge a line to get in still the job openings stink as you've just experienced seeing in the city.

We all make mistakes and don't beat yourself up over this, you'll be fine even if you must relocate to do it.

Too many people seeking the few job openings and all that comes with it unfortunately.

Last edited by njguy; 09-23-2008 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-23-2008, 06:33 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,233,602 times
I never found a a multiple company job fair to my advantage. No matter what they said, they wanted aggressive sales help... not my style.

I did however go to one for Disney in college and land a job. Likewise, my old school has had them for specific positions and I think they went well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey