Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:52 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Kate with all due respect google the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill. I remember driving the California coast with my wife before we had kids. You could see these big platforms lurking right off the coast. It was a disgrace. They were and are only 5 or 6 miles off the coast there.

JM that was almost 40 years ago, I would hope technology has taken us far beyond that.

Hot subject on both sides of the coin...I'm all for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Spills or no spills, whether you can see them or not, why give more incentive to perpetuate old technology? If alternative energy industry were given the same tax credits, subsidies, and incentives that the oil and gas industry currently receives we'd be well on our way to a future where fossil fuels are a small part of our energy pie. Cellulosic ethanol, algae biodiesel, hydrogen, and other forms of alternative energy simply need more funding so that the necessary research can take place in order to bridge the gap from the laboratory to the consumer. Americans forget that in a span of less than fifty years we managed to do what humankind had basically thought was impossible in all of its years of existence prior to 1969. We landed a human being on the moon and returned them safely to earth-an achievement which is arguably the greatest technological feat in human history. Had the government not funded it however, it never would have happened. My opinion, develop the alternatives and use them-save the oil and gas deposit for a rainy day. This is America-we're composed of the best and the brightest-we invent things while the rest of the world merely copies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey