Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 11:21 AM

19 posts, read 96,445 times

Advertisements

i'm thinking of moving to toms river later in the year. Any advice? I found a garden apartment complex: Emerald Apartments on 166. Any info/skinny on it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 06:50 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jat333 View Post
i'm thinking of moving to toms river later in the year. Any advice? I found a garden apartment complex: Emerald Apartments on 166. Any info/skinny on it??
It's in an extremely busy area of town, so getting in and out could be a hassle. 166 is a little 2 lane road that has a ton of traffic, and the apartments are at one of its busiest junctions (right by route 37 and Old Freehold Road). I don't think you're going to have any major problems there as far as crime goes, but there is a petty criminal element that lives there. Definitely keep your car doors and apartment doors locked.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:39 AM

111 posts, read 516,261 times
Default Emerald Apts.

I wouldn't if I were you. In addition to "petty criminal" element, there is a complex nearby called Winteringham Village, which, to the best of my memory has a bit more than a "petty" criminal element.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:47 AM

15 posts, read 61,355 times
Default I moved from Toms River last year...*m

I live in CT now, not by choice. But I lived most my life in TR. Emerald Apts have a bad reputation. I believe there's been some crime over there, as well as some drug problems. And as someone else said, that's a high traffic area. Also, stay away from Jamestown Apts. If you have to live in an apt in Toms River, I'd suggest going private or possibly the complex at the end of the Vaughn Ave, corner of Rt 37. I think it's called River Terrace? The exact name is escaping me now. But that is a far better area to live in.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:01 AM

Thank you for your response. I'm moving from Brooklyn NY and have never lived outside NYC so I'm a little anxious about this move. I'm retiring in a few years and want to be in a less stressful, noisy place by then and am used to a level of congestion and traffic that is quite high though will spend some time around TR this Spring to check out this junction as your response would advise me. I will still be working in Manhattan for a while so want to be near easy bus connection and see a terminal near the GSP entrance. I'd also like to work after retiring and find a number of local places (social services, attorneys) that would make this easy. I have friends in towns within 20-40 minutes (though a lttle too rural for me) from TR. Also its nearness to the river and related activities, and its proximity to Staten Island where my children and grandchildren live, another easy trip. QUESTION - by "petty criminal element that lives there" do you mean at Emerald Apartments or TR itself?? I'm used to locking up but don't want to be living directly amongst those who would find me an 'easy commute to work'. Thanks for your time. Oh, also, would you have any alternative apartment complex suggestions in TR? Thanks.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:25 AM

Default Toms River as a whole...*m

is very safe, it's just that one area where Emerald Apts/Winteringham Village/Jamestown Apts are that is a little bit seedy.

The other place I mentioned (River Terrace) is approximately 3-4 miles from the Parkway entrance, but it's a straight shot down Rt 37. Another complex you might try is located right on Main Street, it's near Friendly's. I'm not sure of the name of it though. But it's super close to the Parkway as well and I've never heard anything bad about it.

You know there is a website out there that gives apartment ratings. You might google it and see what you can find out. It's first hand info from people who actually live or have lived there.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:26 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jat333 View Post
) QUESTION - by "petty criminal element that lives there" do you mean at Emerald Apartments or TR itself?? I'm used to locking up but don't want to be living directly amongst those who would find me an 'easy commute to work'. Thanks for your time. Oh, also, would you have any alternative apartment complex suggestions in TR? Thanks.
I forgot to mention Winteringham Village. For as shady as Emerald Apartments are, Winteringham is far worse. That immediate area just isn't the nicest area.

Most of Toms River is nice, but few of the apartment complexes are. I just think the town's junk collects in the apartment complexes, whereas they are priced out of most of the residential neighborhoods.

Terrace View (that's the one on the corner of Vaughn Avenue and Rt. 37) is okay. I lived there for a year about 12-13 years ago and never had any problems, and nothing I've heard since indicates that it has become a bad area. If you are willing to pay a little more, the Villages at Bey Lea, which is maybe a mile or two up the road from Emerald, are very nice. They're much newer than most of the other complexes in town, too.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Ok, I googled and

as the other poster said, it's called Terrace View. Also, the complex on Main St. is called Toms River Apts.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:24 AM

You've all been extremely helpful. Yes, I've seen TR Aprts and Terrace View on web listings and they are nice, also Villages at BL has great potential. I can't believe how helpful it has been since I tripped across this web site on my way through linkland. It just goes on and on.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:29 AM

You've all been extremely helpful. Yes, I've seen TR Aprts and Terrace View on web listings and they are nice, also Villages at BL has great potential. I can't believe how helpful it has been since I tripped across this web site on my way through linkland. It just goes on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey