Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 07:55 PM

438 posts, read 962,108 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone
I know there have been a billion discussions about teacher tenure but I have a few questions for a project in grad school that I'm looking for opinions on. You can respond here, privately to me, briefly or as detailed as possible.
I'm trying to get as many responses as humanly possible.
thanks a million! Just remember if you respond here it's for all of us to see, if you respond directly to me I won't repeat it, only in my project!!

Questions for project
  • Are you presently or have you ever been a teacher?
  • Do you think tenure for teachers is a good idea or a bad idea.
  • Please feel free to elaborate on your yes or no answer for question # 2.
  • Do you think tenure needs to be changed either/or done away with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:14 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,912,122 times
I've been teaching for 31 years, and been tenured in 2 states. I believe tenure has served its purpose in many situations, and I also believe it's been too much of a security for some really poor teaching and administrators. There needs to be some type of system of assurance/protection for a teacher when they are doing their job in an extremely litigious society. An example would be the teacher who can never get students to perform at a certain level of competency (NCLB) because they aren't given the tools, resources, support or time, and/or they teach the special population which will NEVER be capable of passing a standard test.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:41 AM

687 posts, read 3,241,843 times
I was a teacher for 7 years (1999-2006), the last 5 of which were in New Jersey. I am not in favor of tenure for teachers or administrators, as I think the negatives far outweigh the positives. I think the current system encourages complacency. That said, I agree with teachbeach's post above since teachers do need protection given the numbers of students/parents with whom they come into contact. Almost every teacher, even the most competent, has had an experience (and probably multiple experiences) where a parent has wanted his/her head on a platter. Parents can get really, really fired up when it comes to their kids--often justifiably, but just as often not, depending on the teacher. By and large, the parents I met were wonderful and willing to work with me and their son/daughter, but I did encounter a couple really bad apples.

In addition to elimination of tenure, I would also like to see merit pay implemented, as well as abolish teachers' unions in their current form.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:04 PM

thank you both, anyone else? I've seen some previously nasty comments, where are those people?

Old 09-29-2008, 03:13 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,911,603 times
I want to commend teachbeach and juliann... +1 to each of you. Excellent responses.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:16 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,912,122 times
Thank you!

To OP~you might find more or get quicker responses in the "education" thread to this question.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:09 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,884,693 times
I've been a teacher for 3 1/2 years and I am not tenured. Although I don't believe in tenure as it can definitely lead to complacency I also realize that many teachers are afraid to "rock the boat" until they have it. Non-tenured teachers have to rely on tenured teachers to effect changes, ask questions that may be considered controversial or question administration on any issues. There are a lot of good administrators who are open minded and are willing to listen to constructive feedback from teachers however there are also many administrators who are not. Since many school districts are built on an "old boys" network bad administration can be a very difficult thing to overcome therefore the teachers have to play the game until they are tenured and are therefore protected by the status.

So I believe tenure has it's place under the current system even though I do not think it is the best system.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 AM

up, anyone else?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,643,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
Questions for project
  • Are you presently or have you ever been a teacher?
  • Nope.

Quote:
  • Do you think tenure for teachers is a good idea or a bad idea.
  • Its a terrible idea.

Quote:
  • Please feel free to elaborate on your yes or no answer for question # 2.
  • The direct results of tenure, in general, are two possibilities:

1) The teacher gets replaced before they get tenure, in a prevention model in place by the school board, in order to prevent...

2) Complacency. Many teachers begin to slack drastically upon receiving tenure, and only go downhill from there. It reduces the quality of education being received by children, and eliminates a "free market" educational system where the best teachers are hired for the job, as opposed to just keeping what you've got.

Quote:
  • Do you think tenure needs to be changed either/or done away with?
Done away with, completely. Along with pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey