Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 08:44 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,665,210 times

Advertisements

With so much inventory its tough to narrow down your search. So I thought I'd throw my dilemma out into cyberspace and see what everyone thought.

My wife and I, currently rent in Hoboken, are looking for areas with no more than 45 minute to an hour commute to Manhattan. We are in our early 30's ,looking to spend $300K or under. 2 BR 1 bath is fine. Must be a safe neighborhood, my wife likes to go running in the mornings.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 10:08 AM

183 posts, read 500,672 times
You might want to check out English Village in Cranford.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
With so much inventory its tough to narrow down your search. So I thought I'd throw my dilemma out into cyberspace and see what everyone thought.

My wife and I, currently rent in Hoboken, are looking for areas with no more than 45 minute to an hour commute to Manhattan. We are in our early 30's ,looking to spend $300K or under. 2 BR 1 bath is fine. Must be a safe neighborhood, my wife likes to go running in the mornings.

Your thoughts?
How about a co-op? Don't think NY co-op, this is NJ, LOL. I would look at Fort Lee. It's got everything you need -- commute, safe, parks, price point. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,091 times
Are you looking fur urban or suburban? Makes a big difference on where to focus your search...

Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,665,210 times
That's what makes it so tough, Urban/suburban really doesn't matter to us. Most Urban areas in NJ aren't like Hoboken, even downtown JC isn't, even though the prices are just as high. Really we are just looking for a good amount of space in a decent area. making money on the property in the long run would be a nice bonus but not the motivating factor. Cheers-Tom

Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
That's what makes it so tough, Urban/suburban really doesn't matter to us. Most Urban areas in NJ aren't like Hoboken, even downtown JC isn't, even though the prices are just as high. Really we are just looking for a good amount of space in a decent area. making money on the property in the long run would be a nice bonus but not the motivating factor. Cheers-Tom
With that being said, I can't really speak to a lot outside Bergen County. As far as your price point, other than a Fort Lee (co-op), I am not sure you can get into much at $300k. However, Fort Lee (and Cliffside Park) do meet all of your requirements -- safe, nice neighborhoods, parks, and the commute. Perhaps a few of the smaller Fort Lee/Cliffside Park condo's. I would take a look at Winston Towers and some of the other smaller mid-rise buildings. In Fort Lee, you are set on all aspects.

Outside Fort Lee, I don't think you can get into much at $300k -- not in Bergen County and still stay close in your commute. A simple 15 mile commute during rush hour can turn into 45 minutes to an hour. Go further south, have some flexibility as to time, and you can get a good commute (via train). I don't think the drive or the bus will fly.

Mahwah could potentially work, but unless you take the train, I think your commute is on the cusp or longer. Again, depends on when you can and will leave for NY. There are a few condo's in Mahwah, but I don't know the prices very well. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey