Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 AM

133 posts, read 466,428 times

Advertisements

Just curious how frequently buses run to Fort Lee from GWB and vice versa (Mon-Fri). Where is Bridge Plaza east and west in Fort Lee (I can find it on Google maps)? If you are doing a "reverse commute" how long does this trip typically take? Are the buses similar to charter buses w/ apholstered seats or are they city buses?

Also, it looks like a zone 1 ride is $1.35 each way with no monthly pass, is this correct?

Are there any gyms or restaurants near the bridge plaza in Fort Lee?

I would appreciate hearing any experiences that people have had.

Last edited by jawny08; 10-01-2008 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 11:30 AM

24 posts, read 310,884 times
[quoteJust curious how frequently buses run to Fort Lee from GWB and vice versa (Mon-Fri). Where is Bridge Plaza east and west in Fort Lee (I can find it on Google maps)? If you are doing a "reverse commute" how long does this trip typically take? Are the buses similar to charter buses w/ apholstered seats or are they city buses?

Also, it looks like a zone 1 ride is $1.35 each way with no monthly pass, is this correct?

Are there any gyms or restaurants near the bridge plaza in Fort Lee?

I would appreciate hearing any experiences that people have had.[/quote]

Yes, I do this all the time. Try Google Maps for Bridge Plaza North and South rather than East and West. If you imagine being on a bus from NYC to NJ, and the bus stops right after it gets off the GW Bridge, that's Bridge Plaza North (or West, because you're on a highway going west). Across the highway, where the bus stops just before it goes onto the bridge, that's Bridge Plaza South.

Going into NYC, you would walk to Lemoine Avenue and then walk down a flight of steps to a lower level. Then you just hop on whatever bus comes first. (There is a bus stop there.) Many different NJ Transit buses stop there, as well as lots of small local jitneys. You can pay in cash. The prices on the jitneys has been going up--I think it's $1.25 now.

The ride takes only about 5 or 10 minutes. The bus lets you off right by the GW Bridge Port Authority and the A train is right there.

Coming back, I usually take a jitney from Platform 7 inside the Port Authority. All the jitneys stop at Bridge Plaza North in Fort Lee. Once you get there, you walk up the steps and there are lots of restaurants and everything right by the bridge. There's a small shopping center if you walk north (toward the Kinko's) with a Walgreens, an Indian restaurant, a Subway sandwich shop, a bagel shop, and a Korean cafe. Also a McDonald's across the street.

If you walk south on Lemoine to Main Street (toward the Citibank), there are many different restaurants there, including Vietnamese, a thin-crust pizza place, two nice coffee shops with desserts and snacks, and more.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
Yes, I do this all the time. Try Google Maps for Bridge Plaza North and South rather than East and West. If you imagine being on a bus from NYC to NJ, and the bus stops right after it gets off the GW Bridge, that's Bridge Plaza North (or West, because you're on a highway going west). Across the highway, where the bus stops just before it goes onto the bridge, that's Bridge Plaza South.

Going into NYC, you would walk to Lemoine Avenue and then walk down a flight of steps to a lower level. Then you just hop on whatever bus comes first. (There is a bus stop there.) Many different NJ Transit buses stop there, as well as lots of small local jitneys. You can pay in cash. The prices on the jitneys has been going up--I think it's $1.25 now.

The ride takes only about 5 or 10 minutes. The bus lets you off right by the GW Bridge Port Authority and the A train is right there.

Coming back, I usually take a jitney from Platform 7 inside the Port Authority. All the jitneys stop at Bridge Plaza North in Fort Lee. Once you get there, you walk up the steps and there are lots of restaurants and everything right by the bridge. There's a small shopping center if you walk north (toward the Kinko's) with a Walgreens, an Indian restaurant, a Subway sandwich shop, a bagel shop, and a Korean cafe. Also a McDonald's across the street.

If you walk south on Lemoine to Main Street (toward the Citibank), there are many different restaurants there, including Vietnamese, a thin-crust pizza place, two nice coffee shops with desserts and snacks, and more.
Yes, it's simple and easy. gromit knows the commuter situation extremely well, so I think you got some great information and advice there. I never did the commute thing on a regular basis, but I did on an isolated basis. I lived in Fort Lee for 20 years and one of the biggest benefits was the alternative ways to get into NY -- bus, ferry, drive, etc.

As far as restaurants, there are many -- from Main Street and nearby, north, to Bridge Plaza, and then west to FLetcher Ave./Linwood, and also further north (on Lemoine) past the high school heading toward Englewood Cliffs. Once you get to Englewood Cliffs, there are many as well. I wasn't sure if you were talking about walking distance or not, but even so, as said, there is plenty Bridge Plaza North to Main St. Regarding a nearby gym -- I don't think there is anything within walking distance, but there are several gyms from Fort Lee into Englewood. The closest to the bridge might be the NY Sports Club (I think it's on 15th St. in Fort Lee) or the Bally's on Sylvan Ave./9W in Englewood Cliffs.

As far as the buses, the only ones I've ever taken were NJ Transit buses (yes, upholstered seats, not like NYC buses). The smaller jitneys were those commercial, extended vans and smaller bus-type vehicles.

Also, although it's been a topic of heated debate, the billion dollar Centuria complex going up right at the bridge is going to bring even more to Fort Lee -- more shopping, restaurants, tax dollars, money, and yes, traffic, but also more alternatives to get into NY. For those looking for higher-end, there are private luxury van/bus companies that have regular routes into NY. There's talk of another ferry line and expanding the lines already going. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:37 AM

24 posts, read 310,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Also, although it's been a topic of heated debate, the billion dollar Centuria complex going up right at the bridge is going to bring even more to Fort Lee -- more shopping, restaurants, tax dollars, money, and yes, traffic, but also more alternatives to get into NY. For those looking for higher-end, there are private luxury van/bus companies that have regular routes into NY. There's talk of another ferry line and expanding the lines already going. Good luck.
Centuria is stalled. The developer defaulted on about $750,000 in back taxes and at the moment nothing is happening. So they have a big fancy building that was going to be the sales center, and nothing else. No serious developer interest from any other company, either, because of the state of the market.

BTW, the Port Authority is going to be renovating and upgrading the GW Bridge Port Authority over the next few years, spending a lot of money on it to make it more of a destination, more like the midtown Port Authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey