U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:30 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,079,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenesNY View Post
I'm sorry, but when I see John Edwards on TV I see a guy doing a very tired "Cold Read" act that used to be very common at county fairs. Do a little searching on the internet for 'cold read' and 'mentalism' and you can find all but a blueprint of how he does his act.... James Randi has written many books on the subject outlining the basics of many of these techniques.... Specifics are out there too. In Edwards' case it isnt even that good of an example as these things go, its something of a lost art.... maybe vaudeville isn't dead after all.

diogenesNY

DW and I get into arguements about this, I always tell her "he's fishing" for info but she disagrees w/ me :::shrugs::. Now, when it's a clear case of non refutable fact/evidence like when a stranger comes up to you and tells you out of the blue "The ghost on your home says his name is not Timmy, is Williams" and you know what this stranger is talking about then that's someone I can believe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 09:46 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,033,403 times
Look- there are more than a few "snake elixer" folks in this "business." NO question.

But I know there are people with gifts. I've known one (since passed) personally who AMAZED me. It was out of the blue. They knew I was mourning the loss of someone dear to me. They knew the person, only casually through me. Never went to their home or had long conversations...nothing like that. One day out of the blue she came up to me and said "You know he is with you, and it's hurting him to see you suffer so much, he wants you to be able to be happy and free. In a way it's as your living for him now." Very generic I know. And I was in a bad place so I was a bit snippy. She went on to say "He is with (mothers name) and (fathers name) now. They are very happy. You'll meet him again one day too. For now, enjoy your life. When you are in his home next time he wants you to open a little box next to his mom's picture on the speaker in the living room. There is a journal in there that will help you, he knows it will." She didn't know the parents names. She didn't know his home. She did not know he kept a journal. And it WAS there and it was a journal he kept over 10 years and it was amazing.

Just for the skeptics, he died of a massive heart attack out of the blue and no one, including him, had any idea he was going to die. So it's not like anyone "leaked" the info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey