U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:33 PM

854 posts, read 2,621,122 times

Advertisements

hi,

I'm leaving to NJ on friday morning and I will be staying until sunday afternoon. I would like to explore the metropark area (middlesex county, somerset county etc) as I might be moving there in a few weeks/months if everything works out as expected. Any places etc I should definitely check out? Is ther maybe a festival, a parade or something going on to experience what NJ is like? I have a rental car throughout the weekend so it doesn't matter if I have to drive a few miles.

thanks and take care
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:55 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,331,923 times
My man, pots and pans, you're in luck.

Hazlet Day - Veterans Park in Hazlet - 10/4

Somerville Fall Festival - Somerville - 10/5

Do some google-fu and you should be able to find locations and stuff. I used to work the Somerville Fall Fest back in the day - good times.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:53 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,899,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
hi,

I'm leaving to NJ on friday morning and I will be staying until sunday afternoon. I would like to explore the metropark area (middlesex county, somerset county etc) as I might be moving there in a few weeks/months if everything works out as expected. Any places etc I should definitely check out? Is ther maybe a festival, a parade or something going on to experience what NJ is like? I have a rental car throughout the weekend so it doesn't matter if I have to drive a few miles.

thanks and take care

I've always liked the area you are talking about. I am sure you'll find people on the other side of the discussion as well. As far as heading to Hazlet, if you want to experience "Hazlet Day" (I have no idea what that is or anything about it) or a town event that's great -- but, I don't know that Hazlet is going to give you any more of idea of a NJ experience than another town event going on somewhere else. Hazlet is also not near Edison/MetroPark. There's a lot more to see that's closer.

I don't know if there's anything going on event-wise in Middlesex or Somerset Counties, but I am sure some thorough web searches will turn up anything going on. You should check with the county/town/municipalities as well, also the various Chamber of Commerce, etc.

Personally, I would check out the Woodbridge area. There's just a lot there. I would also check out New Brunswick as well -- which is a great town. A lot of fun, action, activity, etc. Good luck.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:10 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,014,480 times
Where is BobKovacs? He's our resident expert on that area! I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

So, leaving Miami... any reason why? I used to visit there 4x per year...not so much anymore.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:30 AM

854 posts, read 2,621,122 times
Thanks for the info to all of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
So, leaving Miami... any reason why? I used to visit there 4x per year...not so much anymore.
I got a pretty interesting job offer from our branch up there. Nothing is set yet, that's why I'm going up there to discuss the details and check out the area I'm not "fleeing" from Miami like a lot of people on this board do. Miami is a lot of fun for young adults (like me hehe), but the job offer looks like a great opportunity (career-wise) and it's always good to see new places

Last edited by diddiyo; 10-02-2008 at 08:41 AM..

Old 10-02-2008, 08:48 AM

4,073 posts, read 7,999,320 times
Pick up a copy of Friday's Star-Ledger, which always has a section on events etc for the upcoming weekend.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,920,372 times
I can't help with the festivals, etc. for this weekend, but I can provide some info on the area.

Alot depends on what you're looking for- do you have kids? Are you looking to rent or own? Single family or condo/townhouse? Got a rental or purchase price in mind? Are you looking for a diverse area, or someplace more homogeneous?

I grew up in the Avenel section of Woodbridge, and spent 1999-2007 living in Iselin a few miles from Metropark, so I know the area well. Without some idea as to the answers to the questions above, though, it's a little tough to say what'll work for you.

Last edited by BobKovacs; 10-02-2008 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-02-2008, 10:41 AM

If you like Miami, I will tell you, it's quite different up here. If you are a young adult and like that "miami" vibe you may be happier in towns that are more young adult orientated up here. Of course, Hoboken comes to mind right away. It's not close to Metropark though. If you were willing to commute though I'd have to assume that you could commute there via train.

My mom lived in Islen (right next to the infamous McGreevy, I may add...lol) for quite some time. She loved it. It's changed a bit since she left (10 yrs ago).

In the area, I really like Metuchen and considered moving there myself when we were buying.

Give us all a little more idea of what you are looking for in way of a town and activities and we'll see what we can do for you.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,145,093 times
Metuchen has its street fair this Sat.
Metuchen Chamber of Commerce (http://www.metuchenchamber.com/news.php?article=yes&id=376 - broken link)

Metuchen is within a few miles to Metro Park.. It's the stop directly before or after Metro Park on the train.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:28 PM

There you go! i like Metuchen a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey