Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,102 times

Advertisements

As a teacher and mother I would look into an all day kindergarden so that they can get used to all day from preschool- kindergarden instead of kindergarden-first. I have heard from teachers at that level that the kids are still having a hard time with the added hours in first grade (regular school day). That'll be one less thing for him to deal with at that time.

Also, the environment might have something to do with it. We came from a big city up north. My son HATED it. He dreaded going to school, complained all the time and was so unhappy. Now, it's not always possible to move because of financial reasons. It was just the time to buy a house- good timing. Once we moved- what a HUGE improvement. He hasn't complained, he never again gave me a hard time to go to school and though he has his days when he would like to stay home- he doesn't dread it. How many of us wouldn't like a longer weekend
I think he didn't like the kids he was with and that's in part because of where we lived.

These are reasons I think make a difference. Not sure of the "right" answer but this is what I've heard and/or experienced first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I think we all have to relax a little with our kids today. Everyone wants them to be doing 5th grade work in 1st grade.

My eldest started school in a VERY academically focused school. But that was their only focus. Development of the "whole" child was not a consern. I noticed a lot of the kids, including my own, hated school by the end of first grade because they were being pushed too much. That's when I realized I wanted my kids in a school where they would learn, but also have a good arts program, lots of activities, and the opportunity to stay KIDS for the little time they have to do so.
Many teachers, including myself, agree with you on this one. We are being required by our districts to do so much to meet these ridiculous curriculums and NCLB that it is putting too much pressure on our kids.
Ex. all these open ended questions. I teach Spec. ed and our state tests have so many open ended questions for reading/writing AND math. Our curriculum is based on the state testing. So, every week there are MANY open ended questions for these kids to answer. How is that TEACHING them how to write? There is so much Paperwork that it's draining the teachers and these poor kids. You should hear the excitement from these kids when they have a fun project to do. Their eyes light up! Most would think, yes of course, what kid doesn't want to do something fun. But the thing is that our kids RARELY ever do anything like that. I'm not talking about a coloring paper. I wish we had time to do some fun, educational projects that they apply their learning to. And this is starting with gr.3. This is turning off many of my students- they have special needs and writing is very hard for them. One of my kids broke down yesterday because he can't write but has to for district testing. He turned red, cried and I couldn't get him to calm down. Breaks your heart.

There is so much time preparing for these tests that teaching is not happening. I feel like a paper passer and that's not how I was taught. I learned just fine and we are able to function in society just fine. I wonder about our future generations and if some will even graduate.

I hope this changes with our new president. Though I know the economy is first on his agenda- I hope education is second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: