Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Why would Teaneck to Nutley be a bad commute?
Teaneck is further out there with respect to distance and time (i.e. bit more out east out on RT4) and poses observations and concerns noted below. It's a locality IMO more suited for folks either working very close nearby (e.g. Hackensack, E-Cliffs, eastern BC, etc.) or in NYC where the local buses are a viable option for the destination(s) it serves.

In this day and age (i.e. Y2K) so many of us are working > 40 hours/week. Every bit of free, quality time to spend w/family, relaxing/unwinding, eating a well prepared home cooked meal, recreation, shopping, spiritual/religious needs, etc. goes a LONG WAY nowadays. Just by shaving 15 minutes (1/4 hr.) off a one-way commute adds up to approximately 10 hrs./month. That's about 5 full days/year.

Add in the high cost of gas (and motor oil), rising NJ tolls (if GSP primarily used from the RT4/17 jct. in Paramus to Nutley), wear/tear on car, and auto insurance rates which are proportional to distance commuted.

Fair Lawn appears to have an advantage with better schools, proximity to the GSP, Paramus shopping malls, ease of access to NYC (and other destinations) by frequent, daily trains. An easier commute to Nutley with options of going fairly direct down the GSP (toll road) or using 20S/21S (or 20S/21S/3W).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Teaneck is further out there with respect to distance and time (i.e. bit more out east out on RT4) and poses observations and concerns noted below. It's a locality IMO more suited for folks either working very close nearby (e.g. Hackensack, E-Cliffs, eastern BC, etc.) or in NYC where the local buses are a viable option for the destination(s) it serves.

In this day and age (i.e. Y2K) so many of us are working > 40 hours/week. Every bit of free, quality time to spend w/family, relaxing/unwinding, eating a well prepared home cooked meal, recreation, shopping, spiritual/religious needs, etc. goes a LONG WAY nowadays. Just by shaving 15 minutes (1/4 hr.) off a one-way commute adds up to approximately 10 hrs./month. That's about 5 full days/year.

Add in the high cost of gas (and motor oil), rising NJ tolls (if GSP primarily used from the RT4/17 jct. in Paramus to Nutley), wear/tear on car, and auto insurance rates which are proportional to distance commuted.

Fair Lawn appears to have an advantage with better schools, proximity to the GSP, Paramus shopping malls, ease of access to NYC (and other destinations) by frequent, daily trains. An easier commute to Nutley with options of going fairly direct down the GSP (toll road) or using 20S/21S (or 20S/21S/3W).
I see your point(s). However, I wasn't comparing Teaneck to Fair Lawn. In reality, the commute from Teaneck to Nutley is far simpler than is seems or appears. First, I was only speaking to a commuting discussion. I wouldn't speak to certain aspects, vis a vis schools, taxes, etc. as I am completely absent of facts. Second, as far as the commute, it's the opposite way of NYC/rush hour traffic. Heading west on Rt. 4, to the GSP (South -- where you can pick up Rt. 80 West) is simple. I've done that trip for years and there is no traffic heading west. Sure, you could always get the bottleneck or the bend-merge, but that happens everywhere -- it's NJ, LOL. At the same time, picking up Rt. 80 this way, avoids heading south on Teaneck Rd, to Degraw/Fort Lee Rd./Main St. and trying to pick up Rt. 80 from the NJ Tpk. at Glenpointe.

Being close to 4, 17, GSP, 80, and if you have to struggle to get to the NJ Tpk. South -- offers a lot of flexibility, again, heading South or West. On the contrary, Teaneck to points east can be difficult as you have to go with NYC/rush hour traffic. Yes, you can avoid Rt. 4 East, but most of the local roads have people looking to avoid the highways as well. East of Teaneck, North of Englewood Cliffs, etc. -- you have every major highway in Northern NJ merging to the GWB. I used to feel guilty seeing all of those people heading into NY. Teaneck into NYC can be an hour -- and you are a mere, what? 6 miles away? Scary.

I think the quality of life in Teaneck is better than that of Fair Lawn -- religous-wise, culture-wise, and other aspects as well. I mean this as no offense to Fair Lawn or the fine residents of Fair Lawn, however, having extended stays in both towns at various times, personally, I would prefer Teaneck. However, this is about what the OP tastes, likes, dislikes, etc. Quality of life, to me, is far more important than a commute, although one leads to another . . . or vice versa, LOL. Good luck to the OP.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 24,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Passaic Park is very close to Nutley. Has a Jewish resident base w/nice park and train station right there. I was actually there today in my travels. CAUTION - you will have the lackluster Passaic school system and crime concerns in Passaic proper. Check it out but do your homework. Again here you are very close to Nutley (closer than Fair Lawn).

Nutley itself may be an option too. GREAT town, GOOD schools, closest to work. INSANE Essex County taxes (the sole drawback). I am not sure if Nutley has a sizeable/significant Jewish resident base. BUT I do notice diversity w/many Jews shopping at the stores near Roche and the Clifton Commons on RT3 E&W (e.g. Kohls, Starbucks, Target, Stop & Shop, misc. book stores, etc., etc). There is a presence there.

#1. Fair Lawn (bergen co.) - BEST BET (specifically Radburn section)
#2. Nutley (essex co. = high taxes)
#3/4 tie Passaic Park (passaic co.)/Livingston (essex co. = high taxes)

I would toss Teaneck out of consideration. No way IMO, commuting to Nutley.
I can honestly count on my right hand how many yarmulkes I've ever seen in Nutley. The Catholic church is a really big presence here, too.

And actually, yeah, I've seen some Jews in Clifton Commons before. But don't forget that it's a shopping center next to a highway.

As I noted before, Nutley is almost all Italian. It's an amazing town, and is by far the best choice if a Jewish community is not a big deal to you.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:31 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unickuta View Post
I can honestly count on my right hand how many yarmulkes I've ever seen in Nutley. The Catholic church is a really big presence here, too.
True but my cousin's wife is half Jewish and originally from Nutley. She, her sister, and both folks absolutely love Nutley.

Quote:
As I noted before, Nutley is almost all Italian. It's an amazing town, and is by far the best choice if a Jewish community is not a big deal to you.
In several circles Italian and Jews bond and respect one another. Here in NJ (Bergen/Passaic/west-Essex) great people.

I spoke with my uncle (had coffee on Sunday w/him) about recommendations for Harv#93 and he concurs with EANJ to keep Teaneck in the mix (plus Bergenfield's SW quad where he lives). I have to be honest so I posted this here.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 PM

22 posts, read 59,700 times
Nutley does not have alot of Jewish people but I notice more now. The Nutley shop rite caters to Jewish people which is why they come from surrounding towns to shop there. They started putting up a Menorah at the oval Holiday season along side the Christmas tree. With that said Livingston and Fair Lawn are good communities if you want to be among Jewish people. I also agree with Passaic Park which is very close to Nutley.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:04 PM

22 posts, read 59,700 times
Default It really is

an amazing town and noticed by the time my kids graduated a few years ago they actually were going to Bat Mitzvahs. Nutley is an accepting town with very friendly, classy people. Offers so much to everyone. Proud to live here and to say I live in Nutley.

Quote:

And actually, yeah, I've seen some Jews in Clifton Commons before. But don't forget that it's a shopping center next to a highway.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey