Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:34 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times

Advertisements

So, we have found yet another place that we might be interested in putting an offer in on. It's a townhouse in Manalapan. It's a 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath, and it's priced at 346K. Now that I've been through the process once of having an offer accepted, my mind has to turn towards the comps. Generally, what is used for comps these days? Are short sales included? If a place on the same street sold for less, are upgrades taken into account? How do appraisers know if a particular comp had upgrades or not?

Blarg. Just as stressful as it is to sell these days, I think it's also stressful to buy. This market is so friggen unpredictable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 09:40 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
So, we have found yet another place that we might be interested in putting an offer in on. It's a townhouse in Manalapan. It's a 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath, and it's priced at 346K. Now that I've been through the process once of having an offer accepted, my mind has to turn towards the comps. Generally, what is used for comps these days? Are short sales included? If a place on the same street sold for less, are upgrades taken into account? How do appraisers know if a particular comp had upgrades or not?

Blarg. Just as stressful as it is to sell these days, I think it's also stressful to buy. This market is so friggen unpredictable...
Are you working with a realtor? They do a great job of pointing out the foreclosures and short sales to the appraisers... they try to assist the appraiser (or convince rather ) when doing the comps. They typically go by what has sold and what's for sale..price per SF... they do take into consideration the upgrades... age of the house, etc.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 AM

yeah - I'm working with a realtor. Generally, do realtors go on appraisals? The last appraisal we had done was on a new construction, and we didn't have a realtor for that.

Our poor realtor is working two open houses today. We expect to her from her later or tomorrow so we can chat further about our options.

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason - and after having 2 other places fall through, I think that if it's meant to be, it'll happen. I'm certainly not going to force it.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:28 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times
Quote:
yeah - I'm working with a realtor. Generally, do realtors go on appraisals? The last appraisal we had done was on a new construction, and we didn't have a realtor for that.

Our poor realtor is working two open houses today. We expect to her from her later or tomorrow so we can chat further about our options.

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason - and after having 2 other places fall through, I think that if it's meant to be, it'll happen. I'm certainly not going to force it.
Do realtors "go on appraisals" for what?

I've often wondered what is being used for comps today as well. I recently looked at one property. I know the area very well. I have friends who own property in the area. Anyway, a local appraisor was throwing around some #'s of some appraisals he recently did -- and the numbers seemed incredibly low. They were not based upon recent sales for the most part either. I understand the motive or mindset is often different, but it's been interesting.

I was recently looking in my own neighborhood. Granted it's a high-end neighborhood, and there haven't been any sales recently, but a friend's appraisal for a re-fi just recently came back MUCH LOWER than any previous sale and MUCH LOWER than anyone really thought the bottom was. I understand why, but again, I was curious as to who was using what (and of course the why is important).

Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 AM

When I say "go on appraisals", I mean meet the appraiser at the property and walk the appraisal with them.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
When I say "go on appraisals", I mean meet the appraiser at the property and walk the appraisal with them.
Got it. Don't know.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:47 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Mine does.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:18 PM

So we, once again, had reason to worry about the comps. our agent is pretty sure that even if we were to get the place for, say, $320K, that it might not appraise for that. The listing agent said to get any kind of offer with a 3 in front of it to her clients. So we are going to offer $300K plus 10 for closing costs, and we'll see how that goes...

Old 10-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
So we, once again, had reason to worry about the comps. our agent is pretty sure that even if we were to get the place for, say, $320K, that it might not appraise for that. The listing agent said to get any kind of offer with a 3 in front of it to her clients. So we are going to offer $300K plus 10 for closing costs, and we'll see how that goes...
Why "plus 10 for the closing costs" -- ???

I think you had included X for the closing costs in another offer you spoke of. What is your thinking here? Thanks.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Because it's basically a seller's consession that will allow us to roll $10K in closing costs into the mortgage. Nothing out of pocket for anyone. So the actual price of the house would be $300K, and that is all the seller would see. The actual sales price, however, is $310K, and that is what we would base our mortgage off of. From what our agent has told us, that is really standard these days. And it's less $$ for us out of pocket (with only having to come up with the 3% for a down payment). FHA mortgages allow for up to 6% to go into the mortgage as a sellers consession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey