U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,144 posts, read 26,098,400 times
Reputation: 11284

Advertisements

The development will not have any affordable housing units. Although the developer was obligated to include about 13 units, James Street LLC will instead pay $1 million to the township developer's fee trust fund, which is used to create affordable housing.

Old Verizon site in Morris Twp. to become townhouse complex | Daily Record | Daily Record

Create affordable housing in Morristownship....when's the last time if ever that happened??
Affordable housing doesn't mean "welfare" housing either...just housing the average working stiff can afford
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2008, 01:50 PM
 
Location: The Communist State of NJ
7,174 posts, read 10,802,362 times
Reputation: 3668
Unfortunately, there will always be a way for "big money" to circumvent the system.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,144 posts, read 26,098,400 times
Reputation: 11284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Unfortunately, there will always be a way for "big money" to circumvent the system.
Average Joes just can't get ahead I truly feel sorry for young kids today busting their azzes and not being able to find affordable housing in NJ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
6,959 posts, read 7,480,575 times
Reputation: 6769
Why doesn't anyone say to the developer, "If you don't build the affordable housing units, then nothing will be built there!" The eunuchs run NJ!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 21,022,519 times
Reputation: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
The development will not have any affordable housing units. Although the developer was obligated to include about 13 units, James Street LLC will instead pay $1 million to the township developer's fee trust fund, which is used to create affordable housing.

Old Verizon site in Morris Twp. to become townhouse complex | Daily Record | Daily Record

Create affordable housing in Morristownship....when's the last time if ever that happened??
Affordable housing doesn't mean "welfare" housing either...just housing the average working stiff can afford
The townships tend to give it to other twps. Green Twp in Sussex County was sending it to Kearny!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 03:58 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
6,959 posts, read 7,480,575 times
Reputation: 6769
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
The townships tend to give it to other twps. Green Twp in Sussex County was sending it to Kearny!
wiley - That's been the crux of the problem all along. The money is basically a "NIMBY" payment to another municipality. This entirely defeats the purpose of creating affordable housing throughout the state. My old home town (and yours!) of Paterson used to be a recipient of all of these funds. There was never much in the way of available real estate to build new housing on anyway, and by the time it passed through all of the "hands" of local politicians and their cronies, there wasn't enough money left to build a decent dog house.

njkate - Most of the children of the Gen Xers will never be able to afford to buy a house in NJ and will either be life-long renters or will end up being my neighbors here in NC, or some other lower cost-of-living state. How many years do you have to go back in time, in NJ, to get a 3000 sq ft house for $200,000? If your children don't turn out to be "doctors, lawyers or business executives" (in Malvina Reynold's words), chances are, you'll be travelling quite a distance to visit them!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 10-07-2008 at 04:09 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Jersey born & bred
67 posts, read 288,220 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
wiley - That's been the crux of the problem all along. The money is basically a "NIMBY" payment to another municipality. This entirely defeats the purpose of creating affordable housing throughout the state. My old home town (and yours!) of Paterson used to be a recipient of all of these funds. There was never much in the way of available real estate to build new housing on anyway, and by the time it passed through all of the "hands" of local politicians and their cronies, there wasn't enough money left to build a decent dog house.

njkate - Most of the children of the Gen Xers will never be able to afford to buy a house in NJ and will either be life-long renters or will end up being my neighbors here in NC, or some other lower cost-of-living state. How many years do you have to go back in time, in NJ, to get a 3000 sq ft house for $200,000? If your children don't turn out to be "doctors, lawyers or business executives" (in Malvina Reynold's words), chances are, you'll be travelling quite a distance to visit them!

Sadly, I agree with this. I was born and raised in Jersey, go to college in Pittsburgh and in about 6 months I'm transferring to a different campus in SC and I know I'll be staying there for at least two years after I graduate, if not more. I love Jersey, I just can't afford it. My mom and stepdad both work two jobs and, on paper, make around $80 K and yet they still rent.

I actually just went house hunting with my mom this weekend in Jersey. Nice new construction house, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 bathroom, 2 car garage - $599 K. My fiance and I are looking for houses to rent in SC. Nice new construction also, 4 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom, 3 car garage and the lower level (raised foundation?) is all storage except for where the garage is - $1500/mo. to rent, $350 K to buy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 05:22 PM
 
Location: 32°19'03.7"N 106°43'55.9"W
8,290 posts, read 18,227,398 times
Reputation: 7781
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
The townships tend to give it to other twps. Green Twp in Sussex County was sending it to Kearny!
Sicklerville is a very big recipient. That's one of the reasons (among others) that the median house value in that town is one of the lowest in the entire state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 05:24 PM
 
17 posts, read 59,624 times
Reputation: 12
Lack of affordable housing in NJ is the exact reason why I will not be moving back when I graduate college this May. It gets harder every year for a middle class family to survive in New Jersey. It's sad, really.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 05:32 PM
 
1,977 posts, read 7,151,101 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikalyn View Post
It gets harder every year for ANY family to survive in New Jersey. It's sad, really.
Revised
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top