Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,163,091 times

Advertisements

Well, our superintendent Nicholas Brown, who just started working for our school district Feb 1, 2008, has resigned. Apparently, he was overpaid $65,000 by his previous school district of Stanhope, NJ. The state launched a probe into the overpayment and now they want their money back. My understanding is that he knew he was overpaid for days he was not entitled to and took the money anyway and ran...thinking it would never catch up with him. Now we are stuck with him until May even though he officially already resigned and at $150K + he will now be doing much of nothing for the district. He has already blown off every BOE meeting and back to school night in September. Anyone care to comment? People from Stanhope feel free to join in.

Last edited by onegreatnurse; 10-07-2008 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: info added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,959,359 times
Why are you stuck with him? Can't you fire him and use his assistant? I would think blowing off those meetings would be enough. He can do more harm than good at this point.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,915,312 times
You know, I saw the picture on line and saw "Stanhope" but I SWORE he looked like the SI in New Milford!

THESE things really tick me off.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 PM

Because we just got finished paying off the last superintendent, Elaine Baldwin, who had some BOE members in her back pocket and got an unprecedented 5 yr instead of a typical 1 yr contract and ended up being drummed out due to dissatisfaction with her performance. She got a 14 month paid "leave of absence" out of it, due to that insane contract, which probably cost us about $200K if you figure in the benefits. Throughout the entire time, we had an acting interim superintendent. We couldn't afford to pay 2 superintendents as a rather small school district with very few businesses to contribute to our tax base; 80% of our property taxes are for the school budget alone. We finally got a new super when her paid leave ran out, and this is what they chose for us and our kids' futures.... (That's why we didn't just fire him!!!)

Last edited by onegreatnurse; 10-07-2008 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 PM

THIS is why schools cost so much in NJ. Disgusting. It should be about the kids, but it's more about corruption.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:55 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,959,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Because we just got finished paying off the last superintendent, Elaine Baldwin, who had some BOE members in her back pocket and got an unprecedented 5 yr instead of a typical 1 yr contract and ended up being drummed out due to dissatisfaction with her performance. She got a 14 month paid "leave of absence" out of it, due to that insane contract, which probably cost us about $200K if you figure in the benefits. Throughout the entire time, we had an acting interim superintendent. We couldn't afford to pay 2 superintendents as a rather small school district with very few businesses to contribute to our tax base; 80% of our property taxes are for the school budget alone. We finally got a new super when her paid leave ran out, and this is what they chose for us and our kids' futures.... (That's why we didn't just fire him!!!)
I'm Sorry, I had no idea of the history. I really was just curious as to why you have to keep him. WOW!!! It sounds like you guys have endured holy hell with superintendents. Is this an elected position or appointed? Again, just curious.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 AM

Wouldn't it be great if we could take the POLITICS out of schools! Such a shame.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
I'm Sorry, I had no idea of the history. I really was just curious as to why you have to keep him. WOW!!! It sounds like you guys have endured holy hell with superintendents. Is this an elected position or appointed? Again, just curious.
The board of education hired him, without finding out why he really left Stanhope. Also, our teachers are without contracts right now and there has been a revolving door in all of the principals' offices as well. We managed to hold on to a principle for a couple of years in the grammar school (3 or 4 years) and she just left for Rutherford (see article on Jeanna Velechko, she got some sort of write up as principal of the year or something in the Bergen Record).

The borough administrator is leaving as well for more money in Midland Park, and she was already making like $150K!! With a car and stuff given to her, I understand!! I'm in the wrong damn business!!! If I knew what borough administrators make back in college, I would have become one!!! I will NEVER see that kind of money as a nurse, and I have to work like a dog!!! AND, nursing salaries get worse and worse throughout the country, yet the work is killer, although doctors and dentists make the same money as here (I called the UNC dental practice in North Carolina to see how much braces were for my son, I was thinking of moving there....well, my pay cut would have been 1/3, they still wanted the same $5K as the dentist up here, and when I had LASIK when I lived in Virginia, the doctor charged the same $5K as up here, so I bargained him down, demanding professional courtesy discount!!!).

We are a small town and can't afford to keep the staff because principals already making over $100K each are getting even more in other towns, I think Velechko got $115 here and is getting $9K more in Rutherford.

Last edited by onegreatnurse; 10-08-2008 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: deleted a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey