Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:03 PM

164 posts, read 247,192 times

Advertisements

cop was cool, no fine..emergency situation, will never answer cell again while driving...will pull over if possible, don't have handless device yet but getting one next week,
rscalzo is correct, I can't believe the things ppl do while driving??????? :0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,513 times
I just moved back to NJ from Virginia. I got a ticket for making a K-turn while talking on the cell phone. I had pulled over on a side street in Montclair to turn around and a person was on the cell telling me where to go. The price wasn't on the ticket so I looked it up online and it is $130. I was in shock! OK if this is the law here, I have to pay it. And you could argue and say that since I got my NJ license a few days ago I'm responsible for knowing all the laws, but I wish they would have a short briefing or something when you move from state to state. I've driven in Florida, Virginia, Delaware and Maryland and never had a problem! This is the highest price ticket I've ever had to pay. The guy who gave me directions lives in Montclair and says the police are really really strict about it there, so if you're driving there, watch out. I got one of those things that plugs into my phone and I can talk and hear it on my car radio. It's not the greatest, but the $130 has set me back and it was cheap!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo51 View Post
I just moved back to NJ from Virginia. I got a ticket for making a K-turn while talking on the cell phone. I had pulled over on a side street in Montclair to turn around and a person was on the cell telling me where to go. The price wasn't on the ticket so I looked it up online and it is $130. I was in shock! OK if this is the law here, I have to pay it. And you could argue and say that since I got my NJ license a few days ago I'm responsible for knowing all the laws, but I wish they would have a short briefing or something when you move from state to state. I've driven in Florida, Virginia, Delaware and Maryland and never had a problem! This is the highest price ticket I've ever had to pay. The guy who gave me directions lives in Montclair and says the police are really really strict about it there, so if you're driving there, watch out. I got one of those things that plugs into my phone and I can talk and hear it on my car radio. It's not the greatest, but the $130 has set me back and it was cheap!
Sorry you got a ticket but I wish the fine was maybe a 1,000 so people pay attention to the road and they don't talk or text while driving.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:35 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Are there really people still out there who don't realize how dangerous it is to drive and use your cell phone? I wish the penalty was much worse.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Sorry you got a ticket but I wish the fine was maybe a 1,000 so people pay attention to the road and they don't talk or text while driving.
+10 !!!

//www.city-data.com/forum/15461221-post23.html

Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,180 times
Police are strictly out for money - especially garden state police in nj irvington. I have seen police driving while talking on their cell phones. Do as I say not as I do!!! Fee keeps going up - that's a shocker to support their computers and laptops!!!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,180 times
I was not using my cell phone - and a cop saw me looking down, and they automatically assume you are texting. Not worth going to court when you have two jobs bc I would be losing money to show up, so they know they got you. I wrote several letters, and they didn't care or give me a fair response at all. I am a very civil person, but they make police look bad. Gives them bad rep bc of this stuff and deserving for these situations encountered

Old 08-21-2011, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
Don't be an idiot! My next door neighbor was a very cautious driver, last year she was struck by a woman in a SUV, in a construction zone, yapping on her cell phone! Her car was pushed under a tri-axle truck and she was ripped in half! Its just not safe to do it. The woman who hit her went to the hospital to treat her minor scratches and bruises. You're sitting there complaining about your civil rights? Really? What about my neighbors right to live! An ear piece can be bought at best buy for 29 dollars! That's 1/5 of the price of the ticket and most likely a smaller fraction of the price of most of the phones people are talking on while driving. Avoiding accidents is a numbers game, you never know when your number is up! Please don't gamble on my life and that of my children!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:46 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Absolutely! I am glad to hear that the cops are enforcing this law as much as it seems they are on this forum. And if you kill someone while driving and talking on a cell phone, it should be manslaughter charges and jail time at the very least.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
When a cop asks that question, "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

DON'T SAY ANYTHING!

You can only incriminate yourself, and anything you say will be on the record as an admission of guilt. I'm not sure if it's true in NJ, but in NY, whatever you say in response to that question is printed on your ticket in quotation marks. So if you say, "Cell phone," or "maybe I was going too fast," your quote will appear right on the ticket. Kinda hard to fight anything with your own words being used against you.
In my experience, this is not good advice. In every ticket I have ever avoided, and I have avoided many in my life, I have admitted what I did wrong. If you want any chance of getting out of the ticket, it is best not to BS the cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey